Skip navigation

93 MK1 1800(non gti)Cabrio..stalling upon stop & stutter

Back to the top

93 MK1 1800(non gti)Cabrio..stalling upon stop & stutter

hi guys,newbie here……
this is my 93 cabrio…

had it for 3 years now.had absolutely no problems with it up until around 6 months ago when the fuel lines needed cleaning and i replaced the filler neck.recently been having a a few idleing/stalling problems.

anyway…….

engine is a 1800 non gti(pierburg e2)…..was stalling upon stopping at lights etc(starts first time afterwards tho) a couple of weeks ago so i changed the air filter,fuel filter,new rocker head gasket & carb cleaner and it ran like a dream until last night.  
took off from a set of lights and was quite high in the revs(3rd i think) before i had to stop at the next set of lights…..slowed down, came to a halt and the rev counter died.started first time again and continued to do this at every stop for the next 10 or so miles.
it then sat parked for around 1.5 hours…started it up and sat at 900rpm for a few seconds then just died again.nursed it home but would really like to get to the bottom of the problem.

any ideas?

thanks.!any info greatly appreciated!

Back to the top
sounds liek carb icing, is the warm air feed pipe and metal shroud intact, and does the warm air flap in the airbox open when engine running?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

sounds liek carb icing, is the warm air feed pipe and metal shroud intact, and does the warm air flap in the airbox open when engine running?

ermmm………. :oops:
i'm completely engine illiterate…..where are these components located.?

thanks btw!

Back to the top
Carb flange torn or split  somewhere, leaking air
If carb icing the car would hold back, lose power and black smoke will appear from exhaust.
Turn engine back on and leave running on idle for approx 5 minutes, this would then give time for the water particles to dispearse off the carb and not mix with fuel and air thus will run right again.
I do say carb flange thou underneath the carb itself
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
thanks pete.
just been out at the golf again…cleaned the carb again and tightened the rocker cover nuts as they were definately looser than i left them a couple of weeks ago(is this normal).also removed the air filter.
turned her on and ran fine….if anything idled a little high at about 1300.drove it for about 5 mins with no problems whatsover.

took a couple of pics to see if there is anything obvious to the trained eye!

as i said before i can only manage basic repairs so i'd be looking for some help on exploring the carb flange for splits/tears.

again many many thanks!

Back to the top
See this link, thou for a weber the same flange is used
Look at first pic and description to explain what and where to look.
Undo those 3 10 mm nuts at top of carb, they bolt it down onto the carb flange, disconnect neg on battery 1st thou.
You should clean the carb when it is off the block as the crap will stay in the carb.
Remove, keep upside down and blast carb cleaner in every nook and cranny, use a toothbrush to get in awkward places, also keep away from the car has it will strip the paint
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=57627

Back to the top
yer a star pete.!
thank you very much!will have a look tomorrow.
replacement flanges are ready available should there be a problem?

Back to the top
Yes you can get from Rich aka crazyquiff, GSF or Fleabay

Back to the top

Peddersgolf said

If carb icing the car would hold back, lose power and black smoke will appear from exhaust.

not always, when my carb suffered from mild icing in the mornings it would just cut out when coming to a stop, no smoke and no loss of power ;)

lookin at your pics i cant see the warm air pipe, it runs from a metal plate around the exhaust manifold round the left side of engine to a connection on the sticky out bit on the airbox, underneath if that helps  :lol:
If you look at the sticky out bi8t on airbox you'll see there is a domed bit, this is the warm air flap housing, it should have a vac connection which i can see, the warm air pipe connects on the bottom of this housing.  There should also be a second vac pipe from the side of the airbox to the rear of the carb, I can see this one is missing. You can see the nipple for it next to the one running to the warm air flap, since this is not hooked up the warm air flap wont work, and you likely have a vac leak from the connection on the carb!

There should be a cold air pipe on the end but not end of world if missing.  If you take the airbox off but leave the vac lines hooked up then fire the engine, you should be able to look down the cold air pipe hole and see the warm flap lifting :)

Have a look at me carb faq, scroll down to the vac diagrams, there is one that has the airbox nipple circled :)
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=430409

Back to the top
thanks to the both of you!it is very much appreciated!

another couple of pics…..i have arrowed the nipple you say jonny(i think)it is not missing and is connected to the rear of the carb.

the warm air pipe is a bit of a mish mash of aluminium tube and tape to be honest(a local garage actually billed me for this :lol: )…not ideal but could this be a problem?

not had a look at the flange yet pete…might have a look at that later today.

Back to the top
ah yes, some new glasses for me I think, i can see it in your 1st pics as well  :lol:
warm air pipe looks a bit messey but as long as its hooked up both ends and not blocked it should be hunky dory, providing the flap opens all is well there!

heres the flange ya need if its buggered:
http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=812

Back to the top
Yes i should point out, that carb icing resulting in black smoke will only happen on motorways either during winter months or in fog due to the speed of cold air coming through front grill, going up cold air feed arm mixing water with fuel and air.
This will happen on both pierburg and weber carbs.
I cured this on mine has i had this fault on mk1, i fitted a piece of carding behind the grill to the drivers side, this then stops cold air from bad design of grill & airbox being pushed up directly to the carb via arm of air box.
The design of the air filter box itself is an issue on the mk1 as vw located the cold air feed directly at the grill.
They corrected this on the mk2 by supplying air feed from side of inner wing, but still the grill also causes air moisture to collect on the carb.
but in this case i still say flange
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.