Skip navigation

1982 1500 GL Automatic Carb query

Back to the top

1982 1500 GL Automatic Carb query

I have just bought a very cheap Mk1 - the carb is giving me problems . Its the orginal Pierburg. Any idea if you can get spares for them. I dont really want to buy a weber as this would be more than double what I paid for the car. If I am looking in a scrap yeard will any of the Mk2 engines be able to supplay a replacement? Thanks Chris

Back to the top
if its a 2e2 then they were used on mark 2 golfs not sure if the 2e was used, is yours a 1.8 or the small block eng, wots up with the carb ??? not ticking over and stallin??? search in the big block carb engines section for pierburg problems theres loads of info from running problems to pictures of the carbs , really helpful :D .  a cheap fix is checking all the vacum pipes for age and wear if they split they cause the car to cut out , would be worth checking them. and i think theres a bloke on ebay that sells a repair kit , gaskets etc think the last time i see them they were 20 notes or so. hope this helps.

Back to the top
1500 will be a 1b3.
mk2 1.3 useed them. but you will still need to change the jets to suit.
vacuum pipes as said. good place to start.

Back to the top
sorry didnt spot the 1500 cc bit in BIG TYPE at the top  :redfaced:  :redfaced:

Back to the top
I will try Gower and Lee for a repair kit . Failing that I have a better idea of which cars to look for a similar carb. According to the list I saw the Mk2 1.1 had the 1b3 but the 1.3 had the 2E3.

Back to the top
fair enough 1.1
vauxhall also used them on some of their cars.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Quick update - the fuel is contaminated with water and all sorts of other stuff. The return which goes via a seperator 049127177c has been bypassed.Thisis on back order from Abridge VW. I have bought a float and needle valve kit but suspect that by putting the seperator and return back in it might make a difference to the chronic flooding(petrol coming out of the top of the carb). I also need to source a nearside parcel shelf support in red any suggestions?

Back to the top

Another update

Replacing the float made all the difference to the running, prior to this the whole carb was filling up with fuel and overflowing. There was some visable damage to the old composite float. The new one from Gower and Lee was plastic. Also changed the filler neck as was rotten at the top. The replacement petrol filter is already full of more stuff probably as a result of the filler neck work. Brake cylinders, handbrake cable etc done. Just need some more front brakes for the MOT.

Back to the top
:)

Back to the top
mot passed and back on the road! Now for some coilovers!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.