Skip navigation

1978 1.5 autochoke starting issues

Back to the top
I dont post too often asking for help on stuff but its too cold outside and i cant find anything using search.
The car has developed some running issues, its a 1.5 with an auto choke. The car is a second car and used maybe 3 or 4 times a month during the winter.

This is whats happening:

To start car:
I have to keep the key turned all the way with starter motor engaged, pumping accelerator, for around 10 seconds.
When engine finally starts I have to give the car full throttle or else it dies.
With the accelerator all the way down to the floor the revs don’t move, engine stays at about 1000 rpm for about another 15 seconds (this is with pedal flat to the floor!)
The revs slowly start to increase and when they hit 2000rpm I can start to come off the accelerator.
I have to hold the gas a bit. If I don’t the car will either (a)stall or (b)idle at 100rpm (yes 100rpm, no typo)
When I come up to traffic lights I have to use left foot to brake and right to hold the gas, if it don’t it stalls.
Once engine has started to warm (needle has moved) the auto choke will kick in, hold the car at 1500 - 2000rpm and once the car is at running temp it idles fine at 900rpm

May be related sometimes when I go to pull away from stationary the revs will drop and almost stall, meaning I have to over rev the car in 1st to get going.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Have a good check for vacuum leaks Scott. If your getting too much air in the mix it'll run lean and want to stall. Check all the little vacuum hoses and also the rubber base mount. A good test with the base mount is to spray carb cleaner at the union of the mount and the carb, if the revs increase you've got a leak.

I had problems with a pierburg 1B on our Mk2 polo, symptoms were similar to yours and the mount and hoses fixed it. Whilst I had the carb off I flushed it all out and cleaned it up with carb cleaner.

If you replace the vac hoses use silicone hoses rather than the braided rubber ones, I found that the rubber ones perish after a couple of months.

Also make sure your warm air ducting/pipe is connected to the air cleaner.

Back to the top
Ok thanks mate, i assume thats its gonna be near enough the same to remove as a 2e2? 3 bolts through the middle and 4 on the mount?

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.