Skip navigation

1500cc 4spd>1600cc 5spd

Back to the top

1500cc 4spd>1600cc 5spd

Hi all i've got a mk1 tin top fitted with a 1500cc engine and 4 spd box. The 4 spd drives me mad  :banghead: so when a 1.6 gti 86k mile engine and 5 spd box came up at a price i couldn't refuse i snapped it up!

What i'd like to know tho is whether this is a relatively simple swap? Cant see many, if any differences between the 2?
The 1500 is running a weber twin choke carb and i'll just swap that over to the 1600.

What would happen about the gearbox side of things tho? Am guessing i'd need a 5 spd gear selector, anything else…? Will all the mounts line up….?  :dontknow:

Any tips, help or advice will be appreciated muchly  :mrgreen:

Cheers, Dave.

Back to the top
it'll drop pretty much straight in, whatevers different should swap right over. only thing I'm not 100% sure on is if the 1600 has a fuel pump hole on the front of the block, I'm pretty sure it will.

ree: box swap, you need the 5 speed upper gearbox mount, and all the linkages from the engine bay. you may also need to mess about with the gearstick housing under the car to allow you to get into 5th, but I think this is only for 1.3 models.

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.