Skip navigation

1500 engine

Back to the top

1500 engine

Am going to look at a 1500 mk1 tomorrow. Am new to mk1s haven driven a 1.6mk2 for many years.

Dont know much about the 1500 and just wanted to know something about the engine.

How similar is it to the 1600? Can it run inleaded? Is it as good as the 1600 etc.

My mk2 1.6 gets 40-45mpg. What would you expect of the 1.5Mk1

Thanks

Andy

Back to the top
Its a de-stroked 1600, and this means it has an over-square ratio (ie the bore is wider than the stroke)

But you probably don't care about that, suffice to say its a good engine mate, might suffer from leaking valve stem seals if its a high mileage.

Mine gets 30ish MPG, (round town) but I have a lead foot.

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
Its an engine and its a big-block of 1457cc. This means unlike the 1.6 (which is 1588cc or 1595cc for later cars) it gets you into the lower tax band - the split being 1549cc.

Its 8V with overhead cam, cambelt, and a carburettor so its basically a dead simple to work on, oldish style design of engine.

Normally 70bhp (the 1.6s were 75bhp) its enough for a Mk1 Golf because its quite a light car. Obviously its not a GTI beater, and neither will it ever be.

It can be run on unleaded and its lower compression than the 1.8 or GTI engines, so its okay on the normal (no need for super) unleaded too.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.