Skip navigation

Back to the top

decided on saving my drivers 1300,goin to give a smal rebuild,twin 40s,the carbs a gud idea or larger or smaller?want reliable fuel effient-ish running,so that a good choice?also what is a good cam to give more performance?what work should be done to the head to give me some more poke?

Back to the top
Twin 40s on a Driver is overkill and you would probably struggle to get it running right

If you want reliable - fit a Weber 34ICH

If you want fuel efficient, sell the Driver and buy a fuel-injected car

Cams are almost impossible to get - Schrick used to make one, but its obsolete now

Headwork is a black art - simple cleaning up of the ports will give small gains, as will port-matching the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head

The biggest restriction on the Driver is the exhaust - it deliberately generate excess backpressure in order to force exhaust gasses back through the head and through the inlet manifold (to act as an anti-icing measure) We've opened up the restriction on the exhaust manifold, which allows it to rev a bit better. Better still would be an aftermarket manifold, such as Ashley

Finally, you'll notice big gains by junking the points and condenser ignition and going to fully electronic (something like Lumenition)

Back to the top
How about a 1.3 multipoint fuel injection engine from a mk3 Polo?

My brother has one in his mk1 Golf & it goes really well

You can get hold of "NZ" code engines, which the ECU only takes care of the fueling….these have 65bhp, but you'll get more power fitting a cam from a Polo GT & larger exhaust

Or…. you can use a "3F" code engine from a Polo GT….. these are 75 bhp (ECU does fueling & timing)….. people see 90 bhp from these with a few mod's

You can also use the close ratio gearbox from a Polo GT

Back to the top
aww dudes :( i have that weber 34 on now-my polo coupe s was a 1.3 and that engine was ace,had ashley and cherry bomb and side pipe made it into new engine realli luved that car-so if i want a good engine and box,no mater the size,gud power,very easy conversion,nice sound gud runner what would you guys say?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.