Skip navigation

Watson's engine rebuild - small update . . . .

Back to the top

Watson’s engine rebuild - new mot and a few new pics....

Brilliant work and brilliant build:thumbs:

Back to the top
Always a pleasure to view your thread dave.... nice one.

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Very Nice!

Back to the top
Its not bad in the metal as well  :lol:

I saw at least 3 specs of dirt under the bonnet, ridiculous, keep it clean Dave  ;)

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

I saw at least 3 specs of dirt under the bonnet, ridiculous, keep it clean Dave  ;)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Good to meet you guys the other day.

Not good that you found dirt under the bonnet -  :lol:  
I'm referbing an original VW tool-kit that's supposed to sit inside the spare wheel at the mo.  I'll get some pics up later.  And I'll get that dirty engine sorted for you Chris  :lol:

Back to the top
This is bloody lovely! Nice work.

You havent got any spare chrome trim bumpers have you? Wish I could find a pair like yours for mine!!

Back to the top
Aspirational and envious quality you've got with this little yellow thing.

Back to the top
Get some interior shots up, would love to see what this beauty looks like on the inside!  :wub:

Back to the top

Back to the top
Hi Dave,

Just wondering how you cleaned up the bonnet latch receiver or is it a new one?

Mine is in a bad way, something needs to be done with it.

Thanks,
Neil.

Back to the top
 :ninja:  :ninja:

Banner

Back to the top
Looking bladdy lovely, Watson!

Make sure you park it the furthest away from mine at the show & shine, ok?  :thumbs:

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments

Ronnie: Sorry no spare chrome trim bumpers - these seem to be getting harder to find.  Some interior shots for you:-

Neil:  Some of HGT'S parts were quite rough, so had them cleaned and zinc plated:-

m00:  Will park furthest away - cos your shiny new paint will show mine up :lol:

Back to the top
Thanks Dave, those parts turned out very well.

Back to the top
nice, interior looks great, guessing you got it retrimmed? who did it out of interest?

Back to the top
:thumbs: awesome and a very enjoyable read :thumbs:

Do it once and do it right! ok, we've identified the problem, lets not make it worse by guessing……… Identifying the sympton is not the same as understanding the cause :)

Back to the top
Yep, the seats have been re-trimmed. The original seats were very good when I took over ownership from my Uncle in 1990, but roll on ten years and a hard life carrying my young family around, the seats become saggy and torn.  So for HGT’s 30th birthday, I bought a better set from Crazyquiff, and had them retrimmed by a company in Addlestone.  I am really pleased with them.

One thing that I’ve been trying to find for HGT is an original spare wheel tool kit. The one it came with when new has long gone.  After a lot of searching I managed to buy one, but it was missing the original screwdriver.  After a bit of a refurb – jack rubbed down, primed and sprayed satin black, and other bits re zinc plated – it now looks good enough to display in the boot, strapped inside the spare wheel. I did see a complete tool kit for sale at the AGM, but understandably the seller wouldn’t split it and sell just the screwdriver.  At least now I knew exactly what to look for.
When HGT came my way, I also inherited all of my Uncles old tools from his years as a bus mechanic.  A lot of these were old, worn and rusty, and have been in a box in my garage for the past 20+ years since he died, unopened.   On my way home from the AGM I just wondered if it was worth digging out these tools to see if the missing VW screwdriver had got mixed up with his bus tools. Although none of the rest of the tool kit was in there, happy to say the screwdriver was and just needed a clean up - Result!   So with this and picking up Runner up - Best Standard Hatchback, a good day.

Anyone got a spare original 2 piece strap that holds the spare wheel down?  Even just the half without the buckle.

Back to the top
This car is amazing mate, it looks brand new :)  Love it!!

Back to the top
Nice work as also Dave

Nice to see you at the agm :)

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.