Skip navigation

VW Golf MK1 1979

Back to the top

Project: Life after Death

sports racer said

allana13 said

Can you please let me know if that Junk yard had another set of rear lights ?

How many do you want? My local wreckers has over 50 MK1's but I'm on the other side of the world.

Nick1.jpg

Cheers from Australia (not Austria)

Paul

Cheers Paul… did not realize you are from Australia…. my bad… Any BJ 42 around you…

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
My brother used to have a swb BJ42 with a Chev V8 - 5 liter Nascar block. He took it out of his street car when he sold the car and put it into the Landcruiser when it's engine died. That motor could sit on 8000 rpm all day. Sure sparked up the performance of the Cruiser!

• 1978 MK1 GL 2 door with 2.0 16v ABF, twin 40's, Recaros, lots of suspension mods. I'll get it back on the road one day.
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door. Was my daily doing over 1000 ks a week until it hit a truck. RIP. Got another one now and loving it!
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door for parts.
  • 1998 Seat Cupra + another used as a donor for the MK1
  • 1999 Passat Wagon. Needs street cred but at least it's a manual.

Back to the top
Ooosshhh, lovely paint job  :thumbs:  and if the wheel is fitted there it will be one hell of a stance  :lol:

Matt

Back to the top
It's me again :)

did i mentioned this?

front

the end

also, i have issues about the dome light :( somehow i've lost the wires about it and i am not sure what should i put there. so if anyone of you good guys can send me a photo of that part i would be gratefull.

VW GOLF MK5 / VW GOLF MK1 Owner

Back to the top
ooooh same zender wheels as me  :thumbs:

Last edit: by zorg

i pressed the little red button

Back to the top
Very nice :D

Jamie

Back to the top

zorg said

ooooh same zender wheels as me  :thumbs:

yeah. zenders. i am thinkig to sell them but we'll see how will they fit when the car is finished! :)

Back to the top
Fantastic rebuild. Attention to detail is great.

Back to the top

besides, thanks to a guy that worked in VW we made the new roof liner. the original was white but i wanted black and it's great

i am thinking to cover the sides too but i am afraid that it will close the car too much… i like it with red sides for now :)

Back to the top
Very well done… A good skill  :)

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Very nice job on the headliner  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
thanks guys :) Now i should find the holes for the sun shades and the handles :D

Back to the top
did the rear bushes and pivot bolts end up being ok?

i have the same bushes and bolts and was worrying about the same thing

car is looking really nice, reminds me of when i just had mine painted

mike

Back to the top
Mike i havent' fitted the rear beam yet. I will today and i hope i won't have any problems. Front bushes were dramatic. they are bigger and i had problems yesterday to fit the wishbones but a grease helped.

For now i don't have any serious problems with the car and i hope it will remain like that :P

p.s. Can someone tell me how to find the holes for the sun shades and roof handles?

Back to the top
finally the engine is in and the car is on wheels

p.s. the tyres are on wrong sides :lol:i realized that i can't use my original drive shafts (mk1 1.1L) and i'm a bit confused. have someone of you any idea if i can use mk2 gti driveshafts? or which model? i have inner CV joints of 100mm and the engine is mk2gti 8valves

Last edit: by MKD_Mk1

Back to the top
Cars looking great. Think your headlining looks spot on  :thumbs: personally I think leaving the sides exposed is the best way.

Matt

Back to the top
working a bit on the car. tried to start the engine but the fuel pump was broken and i have to replace it. Untill then, i've made the stainless steel downpipe, aluminized rear silencer original for mk1 gti (need stainless) and mounted the tailgate. unfortunatly i had to remove rear part of the headliner but it's okay, i can live with that mistake  :)

Back to the top
Very nice!

Back to the top
Exhaust looking good, see you have not used a centre silencer - I had my stainless system made up with a smaller centre silencer as there is so little space and the old system always used to rattle.  However, it's very loud wonder what yours will sound like? Have you left enough room for the gear linkage boot, my exhaust had to curve just after the down pipe to get round it can't see from your picture that you have fitted it yet.

Are you going to make the rear box out of stainless as well?

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
RichardHall I think it's gonna be loud too but i hope it will be okay since i have standard muffler. if not, i will put smaller middle silencer ( i wanted to put one but i couldn't find new and original). And about the gear linkage boot i've noticed  that it is too tight and i told the guy who welded the exhaust to redo that part sincce i can't put the boot at all.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.