Skip navigation

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Back to the top

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Defo need some rubber in that turret, can't be metal on metal surely? could be wrong though bud :|

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Yep those wheels are going to look the nuts Matt  :cool:
Thanks Andy  :thumbs:A bit worried about the back one being to wide, but hopefully can get it right.

Last edit: by pazwaa

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Defo need some rubber in that turret, can't be metal on metal surely? could be wrong though bud :|

Agreed!

I've got the rubber bushes, will give it a try. Gonna ring avo too, see if they can advise.

Back to the top
yeah you still need the stock rubber bushes, sleeves and bolts etc when using coilovers, they only replace all the parts up to and including the upper spring plate. everything above that needs to be std VW still

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Cheers john  :thumbs:

Does the rubber bush go above the aluminium one on the strut? The sleeve? Does that go through the bushes at the top?

Back to the top
theres 2 rubber bushes, one under the tower and another on top :)

fit bush 40 on top of the spring plate, fit sleeve 35 and tighten the nut 39. then fit the shock to the car and fit the rest of the bits :)

Back to the top
John, you are a hero  :thumbs: :thumbs:  

Back to the top
John

I take it 34 gets binned because i use the one on the strut (spring plate)?

The sleeve 35 goes through bush 40, then nut 39, then bush 41? so the sleeve doesnt go through bush 41?

Bit confused  O_o

Back to the top
yes bush, sleeve then nut. tbh you could put sleeve and nut on first as the bush just pushes over the sleeve.

then you fit the shock to the car, bush 41 goes on top of the shock tower, followed by all the parts above it in the diagram to secure the shock to the car :)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

yes bush, sleeve then nut. tbh you could put sleeve and nut on first as the bush just pushes over the sleeve.

then you fit the shock to the car, bush 41 goes on top of the shock tower, followed by all the parts above it in the diagram to secure the shock to the car :)

:thumbs :thumbs:  :thumbs: :

Back to the top
Sorry to dive in on this, but I've bought every part new for my rear suspension but part number 35 seems to have alluded me - I can't find it anywhere.

Can you buy it still?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
So far I've only found one of the sleeves in my bag of bits, no idea where the other has gone  O_o

That said it would be very simple to make. If no part code appears ill measure it up and make some Andy, will knock a couple up.

Back to the top

pazwaa said

So far I've only found one of the sleeves in my bag of bits, no idea where the other has gone  O_o

That said it would be very simple to make. If no part code appears ill measure it up and make some Andy, will knock a couple up.

That would be 'awesome' - as my lad says!  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
part 35 is 171512117, but NLA unfortunatly. mk2 ones will fit the shaft fit but not sure if they're the right length

Back to the top

rubjonny said

part 35 is 171512117, but NLA unfortunatly. mk2 ones will fit the shaft fit but not sure if they're the right length

Thanks John!!

Back to the top
I see VWH do sell the MK2 ones, I assume they will be different to MK1 version as not listed to suit the MK1

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Spacer-Sleeve-Rear-Shock-Golf-Jetta-Mk2-191512117_act_shop.product_pID_127440040.htm

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
mk3 / 4 / 5 polos all have them too, think they are a touch longer from memory so could trim them?

Back to the top

olethalb said

mk3 / 4 / 5 polos all have them too, think they are a touch longer from memory so could trim them?

Cheers Olly  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Well, last nights session didnt go well  :(Started with my poor organisation skills, somewhere in here is a new clutch  :P

After half an hour of routing i found it, even managed to fit it  :)

But as i was torquing the 6 bolts up, the clutch didnt rotate, seems the engine is siezed  :(Luckily a lovely man called Andy was milling about, a top mechanic and he helped me out. We took the sump off and released the big end bearings a bit and got it rotating, but he thinks its still not free enough.

I took the big end bearings off to get the pistons out to redo the piston rings, could i have put it back together wrong? should i change the crank bearings and shell bearings? Andy also suggested getting the crank checked.

Any advice would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks
Mstt

Last edit: by pazwaa

Back to the top
Bad news on the engine mate. Silly question but has it got oil in it? If not add some and let it soak and you may be lucky and it might free up.  :(

On the plus side though the state of your garage made me laugh 'cos I thought mine was untidy  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.