Skip navigation

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Back to the top

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

the rubber seal should go into the back of the disc lad if its the one I'm thinking of which is part of the bearing kit?

there is a separate metal cup that sits over the bolts for rear discs, though often missing

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks john!

It did come as a kit. So basically I've got it the wrong way round, needs inserting into the disc?

Have to check but don't think I got the metal spacer.

Back to the top
Just read through your full thread again and its epic and I wish I had your skills  :thumbs:

Great build and keep the updates coming  :cool:

Back to the top
if you wanted them part number is 191501639A, 3.67+VAT from VW or if you cant be bothered to drive there:
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Cover-Stub-Axle-Golf-Mk2-83-92-Scirocco-83-92-191501639A_act_shop.product_pID_155248192.htm

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

if you wanted them part number is 191501639A, 3.67+VAT from VW or if you cant be bothered to drive there:
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Cover-Stub-Axle-Golf-Mk2-83-92-Scirocco-83-92-191501639A_act_shop.product_pID_155248192.htm

You are a bonafide hero, john, thanks  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Just read through your full thread again and its epic and I wish I had your skills  :thumbs:

Great build and keep the updates coming  :cool:

Thank you sir, much appreciated :thumbs:

Not sure about my skills. I started working life as a welder, which helps. But welding cars is a black arts, so thin metal, very easy to blow holes :P

Been in engineering all my working life, so used to build things and working around problems. Also lucky to know someone with a workshop I can use, albeit a medieval barn, but has everything needed to restore a car.

Be a different story when it comes to engines and wiring, I will not have a clue :lol:

Back to the top
Did my 4 hour weekly stint on Shellby last night. Some weeks it seems as though i've achieved nothing with those hours  :P Last night thankfully wasn't one of those  :thumbs:Put the seals on the rear discs (thank you Rubjohnny  :thumbs:)

Greased the shaft

Disc on

Use an M12 repair washer on top of the bearing

Tighthened the nut to "just nipped", then backed it off to allow the disc to spin freely. Then add the nut cover, turn the nut till the little splines on the nut cover line up with the hole through the shaft

Split pin in

Then put the remainder of the grease in the bolt cap

Cap fitted. These were a pita to get on, very tight. ended up just bashing them with a hammer till they complied  :P. But there on.

Cleaned the carrier threads out with a tap. Paint in the holes is enough to stop the fixings going in.

The fixings I had were a tad too long, so cut them down with the grinder. Tip - if you do this, put the nut on first, then after cutting, the nut will reform the thread as you wind it off  :thumbs:

Carriers and adapter fitted

Wheel studs fitted - overlong to cut down later

And alloy trial fitted

Another day done!

Need to re-assemble the calipers, and trial fit the whole back suspension, make sure the alloy fits. Hopefully be done next week.

Thanks for reading, any comments, send em  :thumbs:Matt

Last edit: by pazwaa

Back to the top
Loving the work done so far.

Brembo……hmmmmmmmm :cool:

Have you sorted the front wheels yet? As suggested a bit of arch rolling would help. Maybe a little bit of stretch on the tyres too. This'll help get em tucked just a tad.

Keep it going mate

Ian ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Thanks Ian  :thumbs:

My bodywork friend said he can roll (actually hammer!) the inside arches, which will help. Think the tuck id imagined (after looking at far too many show cars and cars on air  :lol:) would be impractical. After seeing ollys (olethalb), his looks perfect to me, so should be able to achieve a similar stance. Not a fan of stretch, but if push comes to rub, a little won't hurt  :lol:

Roll on next Tuesday!!

Back to the top
As long as he's gentle it can work.

You can hire an arch roller of ebay. I have and it worked fine. Patience and time and more patience.

I tried rolling with a hammer on the golf. didn't work too well. I blame the rust though not my terrible skills  O_o

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Nice work on the build up Matt, I've said it before but I love those wheels :wub:

Keep the updates coming bud!!

Back to the top
Good work Matt, nice to get progress and know what you mean when you have hours of work and feel like you've done nothing!

Can't take my eyes off your wheels, so good  :wub:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

borednow said

As long as he's gentle it can work.

You can hire an arch roller of ebay. I have and it worked fine. Patience and time and more patience.

I tried rolling with a hammer on the golf. didn't work too well. I blame the rust though not my terrible skills  O_o

Definately the rust  :lol:

I tried knocking the inner arch in with a hammer many months ago, but it just seemed to spring back, so gave up! Chris tried it, and he made it look easy, and no deformation of the arch curve - guess it's just a case of having the knack  :P

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Nice work on the build up Matt, I've said it before but I love those wheels :wub:

Keep the updates coming bud!!

Hairyarse said

Good work Matt, nice to get progress and know what you mean when you have hours of work and feel like you've done nothing!

Can't take my eyes off your wheels, so good  :wub:

Thank you Andy's. The wheels were a great find, completely by chance, right place right time  :thumbs:

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Rear alloy test fit last night.

First fit the rear axle

Suspension strut first

Beam positioned locally

Then fitted

Then alloy fitted

The edge of the alloy is about 20mm outside the rear arch, but I have the wheel packed out 10mm, and im going to face mount the alloys, which loses another 10mm, so hopefully should sit very nicely  :thumbs:The rear beam is one heavy, awkward monkey! Anyone doing this, i would suggest you're not a billy-no-mates like me, invite lots of strong helpers around  :lol:Just a suspension question. Got my suspension off ebay, second hand, but unused. Didn't come with any fitting instructions so just guessing at the moment.

The top of the rear strut has an aluminium bush

does this replace the rubber bush and just sit in the rear tower like so?

Then inside the car you have a bush and a cup washer like so?

Thanks
Matt

Last edit: by pazwaa

Back to the top
Wen i fitted my rear beam last week i wudnt of been able to do it without my old man, i found that if u slide a jack under the center of it and jack it up it makes it abit easier :)

Looking good mate keep up the work  :thumbs:

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top
Also mate if i remember wen i fitted my coilovers u put the rubber bush ontop of that alluminium top mount, and also from the photo the cup washer u have is upaide down wen fitted it cups upwards :)

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top

chipster2407 said

Wen i fitted my rear beam last week i wudnt of been able to do it without my old man, i found that if u slide a jack under the center of it and jack it up it makes it abit easier :)

Looking good mate keep up the work  :thumbs:

chipster2407 said

Also mate if i remember wen i fitted my coilovers u put the rubber bush ontop of that alluminium top mount, and also from the photo the cup washer u have is upaide down wen fitted it cups upwards :)

Cheers Chipster :thumbs:  yeah, it's a sod to try and move round and fit.

Thanks for the suspension advice, will amend the way I refit it  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Yep those wheels are going to look the nuts Matt  :cool:  

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.