Skip navigation

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Back to the top

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Melteddrummer said

Nice 1 Matt, happy day's. She's looking good dude :thumbs:

Cheers Andy. Felt like such a milestone. From the evidence I have found I think it's the first time she's been one colour since 2008  :o

She will slowly progress towards a final coat sometime before the end of this year, will keep updating with photos  :thumbs:

Soon be your turn  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Nice one mate, its all worth the wait once u start getting then paint on her, trust me.its the same.feeling from paint till u put the interior.in.all the way till u drive it, im sure ull still get set backs throughout the rest of the build as i am.still getting them now lol but they will be so far overcome by the tinyest of things that make it all worth it :) great build mate gonna be a beaut this

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top

chipster2407 said

Nice one mate, its all worth the wait once u start getting then paint on her, trust me.its the same.feeling from paint till u put the interior.in.all the way till u drive it, im sure ull still get set backs throughout the rest of the build as i am.still getting them now lol but they will be so far overcome by the tinyest of things that make it all worth it :) great build mate gonna be a beaut this

Thanks chipster, wise words  :thumbs:  I've started the rebuild in my head, turns my brain inside out  :lol:  engine in first I think, work the engine bay out.

Back to the top
Managed a few hours on her so fitted the bonnet and wings, try and line them up

Bonnet on

Fitted studs for the wings

Then fitted the wings

Fit well at the front, everything lines up nicely, so the inner wing repair was a success   :thumbs:Off side is pretty near, could do with closing the gap to the door a couple more millimetres, but happy with it

But the near side gap needs bringing down by about 4-5mm

Hopefully get a few more hours on her tomorrow. Any suggestions on wing alignment greatly received   :thumbs:

Last edit: by pazwaa

Back to the top
Looking good Matt, I have no clue on how to line the panels up, I'm just going to leave it for the bodyshop :lol: (lazy sod).

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Looking good Matt, I have no clue on how to line the panels up, I'm just going to leave it for the bodyshop :lol: (lazy sod).

Probably the best way!  :lol:

Back to the top
Been working on my turret extensions today

Had top and bottom plates made

And bought some adjustable mounts

Unfortunatley the tapped holes didn't run square  O_o  So welded them up, ground flush and will have to re-drill and tap them.

The bottom plates in position

Cut some 100nb tube sections

And welded to the bottom plates

Bolted in position

Then cut some 25nb to make a strut brace

Need to weld the strut to the tubes, then weld the top plates on, then dress it all up and make it look nice.

Hopefully more updates Tuesday.

Thanks. Matt

Back to the top
Cracking work there mate, makes it all seem worth it when you can get over big hurdles like getting it painted. Have you set yourself a target for when you want the car on the road or just seeing how you get on?

Back to the top
Like the idea of combining the turret extensions with the strut brace, never seen that done before. Nice 1 Matt :)

Back to the top

Spidermonkey84 said

Cracking work there mate, makes it all seem worth it when you can get over big hurdles like getting it painted. Have you set yourself a target for when you want the car on the road or just seeing how you get on?

Cheers   :thumbs:

Started this when I was 36 and said I wanted to be driving her by my 40th, so 2 years left! Only get about 4 hours a week to work on her, so was always going to be a long project.

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Like the idea of combining the turret extensions with the strut brace, never seen that done before. Nice 1 Matt :)

Thanks andy. Been looking at extended turrets and strut braces for a while. Wanted to make it reversible in case I didn't like the results, and these extensions ruled out conventional strut braces so thought "why not combine the two!" Hopefully look good with the top plates welded on, and as you say, fairly unique  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Just read.this from the start inspirational!

Back to the top

samuel cole said

Just read.this from the start inspirational!

Wow, thanks   :$   never thought of it as inspirational, but if it helps with someone's build or gives someone an idea, then that's cool  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Done a bit more work to my strut brace

New holes drilled in the top mounts

Then drilled and tapped, and test to make sure they slide up and down the slots, needed a bit off filing

Top plates then welded to the strut brace

A few shots of the brace in position

And finally, primered

Spray it black next week and it's complete.

Chris has been doing some more with the bodywork. Using a finer filler now. Near side almost complete. Onto the offside next week. Then another coat of primer. Will get some photos when it's done.

Cheers
Matt

Back to the top
That brace is cool Matt, love it!

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

That brace is cool Matt, love it!

Thanks Andy  :$  Quite proud of it.

Back to the top
A new part has arrived, S1 dash

Some of you may have seen it on ebay. A snip at £28! Needs some work but hopefully can make it beautiful.  :thumbs:One bit I'll probably need is the shroud that goes round the clocks, so if anyone has one, no matter what condition, please pm me.  :thumbs:Thanks
Matt

Back to the top
Bargain mate!!

Back to the top
£28 !!! That's a mega bargain mate. Well done.  :thumbs:

Back to the top

smudger said

£28 !!! That's a mega bargain mate. Well done.  :thumbs:

Cheers Smudger. It's looking a bit sorry for itself, but can't complain at that price. should be able to make it nice again.  :thumbs:

how's your two beasts coming along?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.