Skip navigation

My Mot'd 1975 Golf LS

Back to the top

My Mot'd 1975 Golf LS

Thanks Mark for those wings, still not got them done yet but on the list for this summer to get done.

Ok i guess a Family car thread would not be complete without some paperwork, Mum just dug it all out, there is alot but a few early ones will probably send you to sleep.

Here is the original order for the car, few extra's!

and the typed invoice, much easier to read the extra's  :)

Dad had it Zeibarted at 589 miles , i have the 10 year guarentee too and if i remember right it served fairly well upto about 17/18 years before it had a couple of patches back then for an mot.

Original Instruction Manual and the original service record book

Part of the 10000 mile Vw service Paperwork, its a few pages long.

I will spare you the rest, lots still to do on the car. Not even flatted the paint yet but hope to make the Agm in Uttoxeter .

Cheers

Mark

Back to the top
Great thread, great car.

Dan
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=696019#696019
Feb 2012 update, I have lots of parts for sale in the classified section, they've all got to go.

Back to the top
congratz, amazing

Back to the top
will this car be at AGM> cant wait to see it! bob

Back to the top
We hope to be there, Sunday is the plan. Please dont expect anything show car or anything as good as yours is going to be. Those pictures are amazing…wish i had done the same.

Had some odd problems with the front wheel bearings, one side i have changed twice …its better but still a little hum. Not sure what the problem is, although its the only thing i have not done myself as i dont have a press so im guessing it may have been damaged twice .

One of the biggest jobs still to do is to totally wetflat the car and polish it as 95 % of the car is still out the gun paint and we had so much paint some of it has 6 coats so some of the tiny waves in the paint should come out (not fussed if they dont ), but im waiting till i get the genuine wings from a 76 finished and sprayed. A couple of repaints in a few places have also come to light but my paint mate is cool so fingers crossed he wont mind too much me being fussy.

It did its first trip to work today, m5, 45 miles each way and it was fine but with a nasty but non terminal vibrating sound from the engine turned out to be the alternator bar at the block end with the rubber totaly gone so it sat directly on the bolt. Looking at the insert it the problem had been there at least 15 years….oh and the odd knocking noise from the front was the o/s front wheel loose again after the powder coating still melted further leaving them loose…. thats 4 times on that wheel.

Serious point but if you have wheels powder coated then remove the paint between the disk/drum and the wheel, and also the wheel nuts and the wheel, they 100% WILL come loose when the disk/drum heats up as the paint softens and melts.

Anyway see you Sunday fingers crossed - my Dad and mum are coming too if it makes it :)

Back to the top

75golf said

We hope to be there, Sunday is the plan. Please dont expect anything show car or anything as good as yours is going to be. Those pictures are amazing…wish i had done the same.

Had some odd problems with the front wheel bearings, one side i have changed twice …its better but still a little hum. Not sure what the problem is, although its the only thing i have not done myself as i dont have a press so im guessing it may have been damaged twice .

One of the biggest jobs still to do is to totally wetflat the car and polish it as 95 % of the car is still out the gun paint and we had so much paint some of it has 6 coats so some of the tiny waves in the paint should come out (not fussed if they dont ), but im waiting till i get the genuine wings from a 76 finished and sprayed. A couple of repaints in a few places have also come to light but my paint mate is cool so fingers crossed he wont mind too much me being fussy.

It did its first trip to work today, m5, 45 miles each way and it was fine but with a nasty but non terminal vibrating sound from the engine turned out to be the alternator bar at the block end with the rubber totaly gone so it sat directly on the bolt. Looking at the insert it the problem had been there at least 15 years….oh and the odd knocking noise from the front was the o/s front wheel loose again after the powder coating still melted further leaving them loose…. thats 4 times on that wheel.

Serious point but if you have wheels powder coated then remove the paint between the disk/drum and the wheel, and also the wheel nuts and the wheel, they 100% WILL come loose when the disk/drum heats up as the paint softens and melts.

Anyway see you Sunday fingers crossed - my Dad and mum are coming too if it makes it :)

I hope to do make it on Sunday,  I will be there and it will be awesome mate….just get there safely. Bob

Back to the top
truly fantastic effort, looks amazing!

Back to the top
Hi
what welder did you use? How difficult is it? I have some minor welding experience and need to replace arches,panels and sills. I was wondering would it be cheaper to get the garage to do it or cough up for the equipement myself.
Great work
Con

Back to the top
My gf's just snapped a pic of you on the motorway I'll post the pic up in a bit

Back to the top
awesome car and nice family…..will be seeing you soon mate…

Bobby

Back to the top
Revamping this, an amazing amazing restoration mate extremely well done for its originality i love the family history i hope it runs forever and id love to see it at a show sometime, has it been in any mags yet ?

Ibis S3 2007 revo stage 4 500HP (EST) FOR SALE

Back to the top
what an awesome read! Such a great car with great family history! I was supposed to go shopping for presents 2 hours ago, but this delayed me haha.

Back to the top
such a lovely car! great work! i love all the history that it holds.

Back to the top
That car is absolutely gorgeous!!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Back to the top
very nice resto', glad to read this few pages

Back to the top
Oh my word what a stunner! :o

Amazing work. Love the pictures of your mum and dad driving it :cool:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.