Back to the top

My mk1 resto

Aye get some more pics up! Good thread and a nice motor! :D

1.3 Driver - 1.8t in progress
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56551

Daily driver : e36 325 tdi se / slammed on konis and bbs rco401's
Daily offroader : discovery 1 6" lift monster :D

Back to the top
come on carbs where are the updates, you must of done something to that lovely car of yours...

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
Ok update time!

Before head cloth went in I gave the car a wash with a nice new wool mit and some suds ? hadn?t really seen how shiney the paint was before due to all the dust etc ? I also cleaned all the window shuts with thinners to take off any polish or dirt so the head cloth would stick.

Head cloth wasn?t too bad to fit in the end? I put dynaliner on the inner roof skin which is a great sound deadner and I suppose its like that sticky back foamy draft excluder you get around windows only in a metre wide roll ? it is great stuff and the roof has a nice ?dead? sound to it!

Anyhow headliner hung in place..

Then we got it level each side and started trimming and sticking ? bull dog clips are a great way of holding it in place to let the glue dry..

Then a pic of the finished job ? pleased with how it came out and a big shout to Alec Thompson at vwturbo.co.uk who supplied the head cloth and new A pillar sections.

Got the carbs and manifold mounted

But had some issues with the mangoletsi linkage ? basically it was bad ? so I dismantled it and flatted off the moving surfaces as they were all angular and then shimmed them up with washers ? now it works like it should ? also the attachments for the spindles which mangoletsi supplied were useless as they moved on the spindle before the butterfly opened ? so they were binned and I got some of the proper Lotus ones from Eurocarb ? it pays to have the right stuff to start with?

The Rowland manifold required some modification too ? had to remove the middle brace to allow the linkage to work and also hone out the inlet radius to fit the 45?s ? again was good to tackle it and I have it all matched up so there?s no steps.

spent a little time on the trumpets ? they were machined from billet so were a rough spun finish ? they had oxidised quite badly just sitting in the box ? so I made a wee thing to spin them in the drill and gave them a go with some 600 grit.
After the 600 grit ? hazy finish but must of the spun marks are gone..

Then I buffed them to within an inch of their life!

Trumpets mounted up!

Then it was time to get the fuel plumbing finished ? cut a little bracket from sheet stainless and of course polished it!! Then mounted it off the strut tower to save drilling the inner wing.

Couldn?t mount the linkage on the left carb and have the linkage working in the centre and the swan neck water outlet for the head wouldn?t allow this as it exits straight to stop the water pipe hitting the carb ? lots of issues to overcome but all in a days work.

Alternator bracket was remade in stainless and lengthened by an inch to allow the carbs to clear and shorter belt to fit.

Made a little stainless box for the ECU to keep it right in the scuttle tray too

wiring in rear lights and engine is next up along with making a template of a radiator and lots of other stuff?

Sorry for the words but if it helps someone then its worth writing.

Back to the top
Great stuff - looking really good as usual  8)

Rich

Back to the top
AWESOME

……As usual 8) Not far away now Gareth!

Back to the top
Lovely progress carbs… as always top quality work  8)  8)

Back to the top
exellent thread, blown away how clean it is  8)

1983 GTi in Black, Completly Standard

Merc ML320 Daily Driver

Back to the top

Wow

Keep going Gareth this is pure class !

When is the book coming out ?  8)

Mike

MK1 Golf Gti - Mars Red Campaign / MK2 Golf Rallye SE/ MK2 Golf Gti - Black 16v (small bumper) / Corrado - Red G60 / Porsche 911 (Daily)

Back to the top
8O WOW!!. I want one.

'91 Cabbie clipper!!

Back to the top
just spotted this thread…

this car is truely outstanding,and will be amazing when finished..

top work!!!!

Back to the top

I love your car

exelent paint exelent car

Back to the top
This thread is absolutely amazing.
the attention to detail is phenomenal.

It has really inspired me to push that little bit harder with my golf,which at the moment has come to somewhat of a stop :(

Looking forward to seeingt he updates

Back to the top
any updates on this absolutely stunning resto…. really am blown away with the attention to detail on this one…

8O

Back to the top
Thanks for the continued encouragement 8)

Plenty of updates coming….. plenty of work done and plenty left to do!

Sorting out the wiring at the moment - so anyone with experience of 1300 driver to 16v transplants make yourselves known so i can pick yer brians! :D  :o

and also anyone who has done the headlight power upgrade - i need pics and info and stuff on what to buy to do it….  is there looms still available off the shelf?

Back to the top
Try this website for the loom upgrade

http://www.vintagewatercooleds.com - goto Tech section

More pics of the car man….
How life these days?

Back to the top
cheers for the link si!

life is good - busy - but aren't we all! need more shed time!

Back to the top
Just read the whole thread, this must be getting abit boring now for you mate but this is one fantastic rebuild. Looks really special, probably going to be the neatest mk1 on the road eh?

Well I look forward to seeing further progression. Im 17 and plan on soaking up as much information as I can using this forum and then eventually do something similar myself.

And its work like yours thats truely inspirational for me, teaching me so much. Thanks Mate, Best of luck with the rest of the project.

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top
cheers very much!

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

cheers for the link si!

life is good - busy - but aren't we all! need more shed time!

np man… I hear you about more shed time!!

Back to the top
si - just went on that link there - that has all the info i need for the upgrade! cheers again! that should be put in the lectric faq if it hasn't been added already
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.