Skip navigation

My mk1 resto

Back to the top

My mk1 resto

got them from volkswarenhause…

thinks its www.type-17.de

fill your shopping cart and cut and paste into a translater for the rest of the process - thats what did..

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

Gear ratio's are

3.89 FD
……………………Edd says  8O
3.45 1st   …………….3.45 1st
1.94 2nd……………..2.12 2nd
1.29 3rd…………….1.44 3rd
and either
.97 or .91 4th…………1.13 4th
and
.76 or .71 5th…….0.91 5th

just need to check the year of manufacture of the box then i can confirm 4th and 5th.

info from Gear Up!
It will be a nasty going car  :twisted:

Back to the top
shoould be quick up the gears 8)

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

shoould be quick up the gears 8)
Rocket springs to mind  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Any ideas on flywheel bhp or torque ??

Back to the top
It will be interesting seeing what 1/4 mile times you can do, compared to the regular GTI. Sometimes lower gearing doesn't necessarily equal higher acceleration, because the engine is torquey enough to pull higher gears. But I think it will be better on the strip.

Back to the top
Mine kills alot of things on A roads and dual cariage ways , ive tuned mine upto 142.8 bhp + a new exhaust and have a 1.6 gear set from 1st thru 4th with a longer 5th out of a 2.0 gti . It does go thru the gears lovely but 1st is a bit pointless and it slightly runs out of steam in 5th to keep pulling up big hills past 105mph . It was all guess work really deciding what gears etc to use so now im gonna have another guess , hmm , guess i best make more power so fith pulls better :lol:

Back to the top
I think the gearing depends on what you best optimise the car for. For the strip, you'd want to firstly decide how many gearchanges you want to do. (There's lots of drag racers with 3 speed boxes, etc) and then this would set your 'top' gear ratio, because you'd aim to complete the 1/4 just as you're at more/less max useful revs in top gear. Then you'd set your clutch strength based on not slipping in top gear. Then you'd set your 1st gear as high as possible, assuming you're going to leave the line at max revs, dump the clutch and have neither the wheels spin, or the engine 'bog down' and come right off its sweet rev range when you set off. Then the other gears would be chosen based on maximising the power band and being able to space the gear changes out evenly. Does this make sense?

Back to the top
the box im using came with an 8v gti engine i bought a while back - really cheap too!

need to start thinking about a clutch - maybe a sachs uprated version… :dontknow:

Back to the top
Thats pretty much the line of thought i had taken my guess work from . I have been obsorbing a book written by tim styles (mr tsr) and built my golf around one of there old test / hillclimb cars . they used some rare italian gear set with 50mph 1st gear but also said the 1.6 gears were geat but ran out of puff on the moterway , hence the longer 5th .
As regards to the clutch issue one of the mechanics at race power developments (my local engine boffs)runs a mk1 in the golf cup ,hes got a 1.8 with a race head runnin 170 ish at the fly , he uses a paddle clutch but once had to run a std sachs clutch for a last race o the day situation and it lasted right till the end !! im pretty sure that the 16v clutch will be fine cos they have a slightly higher threshold (spelling?) what ever you use tho have it balanced with the flywheel and bottom end . What you running mr paul_c ??  :D

Back to the top

G-DUB said

Thats pretty much the line of thought i had taken my guess work from . I have been obsorbing a book written by tim styles (mr tsr) and built my golf around one of there old test / hillclimb cars . they used some rare italian gear set with 50mph 1st gear but also said the 1.6 gears were geat but ran out of puff on the moterway , hence the longer 5th .
As regards to the clutch issue one of the mechanics at race power developments (my local engine boffs)runs a mk1 in the golf cup ,hes got a 1.8 with a race head runnin 170 ish at the fly , he uses a paddle clutch but once had to run a std sachs clutch for a last race o the day situation and it lasted right till the end !! im pretty sure that the 16v clutch will be fine cos they have a slightly higher threshold (spelling?) what ever you use tho have it balanced with the flywheel and bottom end . What you running mr paul_c ??  :D

Everything's standard for a 1.8, on my GTI. If I were serious about making a decent drag-racing Mk1, I'd be looking around at auto transmissions….

Back to the top
Y the hell . ok top fuelers use them but that is a very presicly calibrated tranny with probly at most 2-3 gears with uprated centrafugle (spelling) clutches on each gear , or even worse for every day use a constant velocity box (ford tech blurgh) .Im taliking about a daily drivable mk1 which can do fast road and a bit of strip work but still be able to cruise to shows . what auto boxs would u look at ?? surly not a carbaretter clipper auto ?? Remember were on about gearing here ??

Back to the top

G-DUB said

Y the hell . ok top fuelers use them but that is a very presicly calibrated tranny with probly at most 2-3 gears with uprated centrafugle (spelling) clutches on each gear , or even worse for every day use a constant velocity box (ford tech blurgh) .Im taliking about a daily drivable mk1 which can do fast road and a bit of strip work but still be able to cruise to shows . what auto boxs would u look at ?? surly not a carbaretter clipper auto ?? Remember were on about gearing here ??

You're right, I wandered off-topic slightly. For the road, for a Golf GTI, I'd stick with the standard manual, the idea of the low ratio 1-4 then the high 5th gear sounds alright though. It just means, on the downside that you'd use 5-4 on the motorway, a bit more than normal, but the upside is better acceleration in the 30-70 range.

Top fuel dragsters don't have a gearbox, they have a slider clutch, a manual clutch (for engaging reverse and forwards only) and reverse shuttle.

If you're looking at a Mk1 Golf for drag racing, you're no doubt going to be in a class where you dial in your time. The most important thing here is consistency, not outright speed. An auto box will give a softer launch, consistent changes and therefore more consistent times. But the VW autos aren't particularly reliable or strong. So I'd still choose it, but take a spare with me….

Back to the top
Agreed . :lol:  :lol:  So between our joint mad rambleings what was our combined advice to carbs4ever ?? How come you havnt tweeked your golf ? u sound like one of the few on this forum who are in the know ?

Back to the top

G-DUB said

Agreed . :lol:  :lol:  So between our joint mad rambleings what was our combined advice to carbs4ever ?? How come you havnt tweeked your golf ? u sound like one of the few on this forum who are in the know ?

The long term plan probably is to tweak it. I've had to do a whole load of work I wasn't expecting, on pretty much everything except the engine! So I want to firstly finish that, then enjoy it a little while as a standard GTI. Once I feel the urge to do something more, I'll probably end up putting a big, powerful motor into it and making a 'little monster'!

My advice to carbs4ever is try it, see how it goes and let everyone else know how it went too!!!

Back to the top
got new synchros for the box today and two needle bearings also the diff cup seals that came with seal rebuild kit were wrong so got em from vw.

box should be finished soon - reckon it should be swift enough for me.

Back to the top
Doin some polishing at the minute ? got a few bits and pieces like mops and a few hook and loop pads for the drill ? its enjoyable work. My uncle works does a lot of polishing so he gave me good advice and a show how also he lets me use his twin mop buffer ? its big and would rip the arms out of ye!

Anyhow heres a few pics of the progress on the rocker cover ? which is almost finished and also the inlet manifold and the crankcase breather which ive just started ? waiting on a few wee bobs and attachments to get into the hard to reach bits.

Still a few areas to tidy up and give it another go with wet and dry and then one more buff

Its coming up well

Some of the areas are a right pain to get the abrasives into ? but you have to take your time and its gradually gets there

Inlet manifold is difficult ? the bits I have coming should get in between the ports ? there is a lot of pitting in the cast ? which when removed just reveals more in a different place! But anyhow its comin up well

Don?t even know why I started this bit ? won?t even be visible ? and its very awkward!

Will post up a few pics of the bits I use and a description - as I found it hard finding the right stuff for the job in the first place? hope it will help someone!

Back to the top
Nice work, as always Carbs! When do you anticipate finishing the car?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
asap :D

Back to the top
As always watching with interest

:D

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.