Skip navigation

mk1 driver,2.016v ,bike carbs and smooth(ish)bay

Back to the top

mk1 driver,2.016v ,bike carbs and smooth(ish)bay

ive not had a mk1 for a wile now as ive been busy with my corrados,but ive now boke one for parts and with some of the funds from that i bought myself a little b-day present.,

here it is .,

it needs a pair of wings and swap the drivers door over for a spare tht came with the car.,

the good thing about it is theres no rust anywhere apart from the front edge of the rear arches ,

but the bad thing is that it doesnt run
but ive now stripped the head down to investigate and should be back together (and fingers crossed)it will be running by next weekend.

Plan is to get it moted as 1.3 then sort suspension paint and insides then when im happy with everything im going to put a 16v on twin 40s in.,
hope you like., :mrgreen:

Back to the top
and heres a pic of my daily vr

Back to the top
Good work mate. I like golf mk1s
Good luck with it and i hope it runns aswell but the sooner you get the 16v in the better :D lol

Very very nice raddo aswell. Realy nice!

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
:D  :D good news its now a running mk1 driver :D  :D

Back to the top
Sound!

Nice raddo to 8)

Back to the top
ok got a new plan now.,
i fitted a agu 1.8t engine to my old red corrado that ive now boken for parts ,but the engine hasnt sold so i thought i might aswell put it into the mk1.,
ive started sorcing parts already but still need to get a gti fuel tank and pumps to fuel the 20v,and will be running on qpeng loom.,

also now ive had a chance to look closer at the bodywork ive decided once ive done the rear arches and got new wings im going to semi smooth the bay and paint it all white (myself)i will try gloss but if the finnish isnt good enougth i will do it satin white.,

i also have some 9x16 OZ vegas in my loft and will try these to see how they look,might get some norrower lips to get them under the arches (only thinking 16s to sort the low sump problem with 20v)

il get lots of pics up once i start work on it very early in the new year., :lol:

Back to the top
well ive started smoothing the bay its only gonna be used on dry days so ive removed the rain tray and will remove the heater.

ive also decided to go to abf and bike carbs to keep costs down so my agu 1.8t is for sale £600 with polished inlet .,

ive also got my rear arch repair panels so will start on them when i get to the filler stage in the bay.,

heres a couple of pics so far.,

wheels are a bit too big for my likeing had them a couple of years now but never had them on a car as they are et4 so going to get some 2" lips made (cant buy them off shelf anymore)and put them on the rado.,

engine out

Back to the top
not done much to the car latly but ive put a deposit on a 9a 16v lump and these arrived today(zx9r)carbs

Back to the top
Nice work :) how much the carbs set you back? im looking for a set.

Back to the top
they cost me £70 off the bay.,and are very clean  cant wait to hear them at full chatt., :lol:

Back to the top
I can't see the pics, but going with a 16V and carb set up, can you retain the standard 1.3 fuel tank and pump arrangement etc?? Is this easier to do than a full injected set up??

I have a 1.1 which I think will be converrted to ABF set up, but wonder what is easier overall. As I won't do the work myself, I wonder what I need to get for the conversion.

Looking for a series1 passenger side under dash shelf and fittings.

Back to the top
yes u can keep the carb fuel tank and use an aftermarket pump,im using the r1 bike pump as it has a built in regulater .,
and use early gti 16v ecu tci and engine loom to control the spark so wireing is easy too.,apparently.

Back to the top
still going at the bay,my paint has arived and the engine is sat infront of the car so i realy have to get a move on now :D

im hoping to have all the bodywork done by the end of summer then just stick the engine in and do finnishing touches over the winter.

this how the bay looks now

this should be painted by nxt week if allgoes to plan :wink:

Back to the top
well things havent gone to plan atall :cry: i split up with the wife a few months back so havent been able to work on the golf as its in her garage :banghead: but,,im still gonna get on with it now as ive found somwere to move it to..(works farm)loads of space to get all round it..

i also found a mk1 gti cabby on ebay goin cheap,,thort this would make a great parts car for wings ,box,shafts ,arb,etc. but wen i went to see it i was supprised to see a very nice black cab with good interior no rust and running pretty well.it ran out of mot a couple of months ago so thort i will service it change brakes and suspension then chuck it in for an mot.if it passes il use it for a bit as my vr6 rado is getting costly day to day,,and if it fails badly il break it to get my tin top sorted,,.so win win either way..

il get some pics up of it on monday when i start work on it.,

Back to the top
pics of the new cabby gti :wink:

its got all new brakes,lines,flexys,discs,drums etc.

only problems it has is a missfire so wont tick over ,and the wipers dont work..

so hoping to get these sorted over the next couple of weeks then get it in for an mot..

what you think??

Back to the top
Looks like a tidy cabby, i'm guessing you could sell that on, and make some moneys?

Back to the top
Nice looking Cab!

Back to the top
thanks,,i havent had chance to do anything to it yet as work has got realy busy ,,but i have found a good reliable engine that wil drop straight in so will be an easy way around my running issues,then its in for an mot,,
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.