Skip navigation

Mars red 83 GTI AHN 502Y

Back to the top

Mars red 83 GTI AHN 502Y

Yeah, bite the bullet and buy genuine mate, you've come this far now!! :)

Back to the top
Absolutely loving this build :) good work so far mate

Back to the top

Drapoon said

Here are some photo's

dayum!!! that looks great!!!

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Lovely mk1;)And yes get a gen' screen, fit should be spot on. I got my screen from vw years ago for £60..

Back to the top
Hi chaps

Bit of an update on the windscreen debacle. I have sourced a screen from Germany as there appears to be no genuine screens left in the uk. Vw uk went obsolete in 2013 as Crazy Quiffs bought up the last of the stock but have subsequently sold them all, tried vw heritage including Vw classic parts to no avail. So for £200 delivered I have one on it's way. I contacted a company in germany who can source genuine screens - not many left there either apparently!

In other news I have the brake lines in and hooked up the brake pedal to the linkage

I also have the front bumper on, happy days!

Mars red Tin top 83' gti in progress

Back to the top
Looks awesome mate. Colour really shines.  :wub:

Back to the top
Looking good  :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
Spot on, good find with the windscreen. In the meantime if you get it assembled quickly you can drive the car with goggles on  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hi chaps

I guess you must have been wandering what happened to this car as my thread has laid dormant for a couple of months

The reason for this is I have been having fun and games with Windscreens

After sourcing a genuine screen due to fitment problems of an aftermarket one I can confirm that the vw heritage pattern scuttle tray is at fault. The shape is slightly out at the very edges leaving the rubber for the windscreen with nowhere to go. So car is going back to bodyshop to get this sorted out - very frustrating

As my bodyshop has assured me I can put the engine in I have done just that at the wkend. Went in a treat thanks to 2 mates & my brothers help. Next job is to start plumbing the wiring in and tidying / wrapping this up

Some photo's:

Of course nothing is every easy and unfortunately the throttle cable connection on top of the throttle body catches the rain tray so got a bit of fettling to do there!

Back to the top
Lovely looking car mate, super shiney and that bay is awesome, nice work  :thumbs:

Flick r - Flickr: ErosUK's Photostream Insta g r a m - @MK1_TOBY

Back to the top
Looking great in there. Shame about the trip back to the body shop, very frustrating!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
cheers guys
Yes very frustrating but this is car restoration as everybody keeps telling me!

Back to the top
Sorry to hear your car has to go back to the shop, such a shame after all the work put in :P   Apart from that issue, everything else is looking great, nice work on the bay mate!!

Back to the top
Hi there

Thought I would update the thread with a few photo's of progress

I have been busy building up the tailgate, applying the decals (tailgate one was a tough) and fitting the rear windscreen. Fortunately no problems to report there

Got the side stripes on now ;-)

I have also fitted the 4-2-1 manifold which was a pig to do getting the top nuts on as there is very little room to manoeuvre & was more of a guessing game trying to locate the studs

I have fitted the rest of the OMP stainless exhaust and really happy with the OEM appearance

I have been busy tidy the wiring loom , what fun that is. I have been wrapping the cables then finishing with various size plastic corrugated conduit which gives a neat pleasing finish

Some photo's

Cheers

Martin

Back to the top
Car looks stunning, amazing work going on there. Love the pic of the underside.

Back to the top
Wow, still looks incredible every time I see it!! I like the hatch spoiler and that OMP pipe looks good too, I thought they were bigger than that. It will be interesting to know if it sounds standard or not.

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
thanks chaps

The omp exhaust tailpipe is same diameter as standard I think. Looks OEM just stainless. I have a feeling it will be quite load given that there is next to no back box & I have a machine gunned airbox (a previous owner mod)!

Next I have to run fuel pipes which I really should have done prior to popping the engine in but there seems to be just about enough room….

Back to the top
Just read through your entire thread. Amazing work and the car looks dreamy. Real stunner. Best of luck with the little bit that's left to do. And hopefully some smooth sailing.  :thumbs:

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Absolutely beautiful car and some amazing standard of workmanship.

Could I ask which manifold you have used as I am currently looking for one for my own rebuild.  Not sure on which stainless exhaust to mate it to (was thinking of the Jetex)…but like the look of your OMP system now.

Back to the top
Cheers guys.

I used a hottuning but this may change to a custom built one as it does run very close to the steering rack gaitor ( this is a common problem with running the slightly taller block)
The omp exhaust looks just right in my opinion and it took me about 2 years to find one for sale sadly as they don't make them any more. Personally I would go for a custom oem look exhaust if I could not find an OMP. I believe they a pretty reasonably priced

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.