Skip navigation

Kamei Retro Racer mk1 build

Back to the top

Kamei Retro Racer mk1 build

sorted :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
yep hopefully fuel and spark testing next.

i take it you just pop an injector out and put it in something to check the fuel is geting that far.

whats the easiest way to check the spark system …

Back to the top
Just love the details and the work on this mk1 and the support and help from fellow members is why I just love the VW world :) keep up the great work.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top

fthaimike said

yep hopefully fuel and spark testing next.

i take it you just pop an injector out and put it in something to check the fuel is geting that far.

whats the easiest way to check the spark system …

pull a plug out, or if you have a spare plug pop it in any ht lead and rest it on the head so it makes contact
and turn the key so its turning over and look to see if there is a spark

a lot easier if someone else turns the key though  :lol:

simples

edited to add: whatever you do do not hold the spark plug or lead while testing , this might be obvious but just in case :)

Back to the top
i would pull out all 4 injectors then you can make sure the flow and pattern is ok to them all.

sit em in containers of equal size, then bridge the fuel pump relay socket to activate the pump.  next lift up the metering head flap as far as it will go, then release it again. fuel should not flow until the flap is lifted, and check the fuel spray pattern and volume delivered is ok on all 4.  if there is a problem on an injector, swap it with another one. if the problem moves its an injector fault, if not its metering head or fuel line fault.  finally disconnect the relay jumper and wipe the injector tips, you should then see no drips for at least 5 minutes.

Back to the top

pirelli said

whatever you do do not hold the spark plug or lead while testing , this might be obvious but just in case :)

was thinking that, i guess you get a shock if it loses contact with the engine when testing.

Back to the top
i think you would be the best earth and it does pack a little punch, just dont touch it when turning it over and all will be fine,
good luck i look forward hearing all is well

Back to the top
dont forget to disable the fuel pump when spark testing with a plug out, just in case ;)

oh i would disconnect the 5th injector plug too

Back to the top
cheers will do…. unplug fuel relay and blue plug out of 5th injector.

I just hope the 5th injector is working as that would be the only part i couldn't replace.

Back to the top
Tried turning over with plug touching head and no spark that i can see from looking at it (stood by side of car & turned key and had a mirror on the engine pointed at sparkplug).

i have new beru leads but to take them out of the problem i used my spares and changed the main lead from coil to new distributor cap and still no spark & also changed the lead from the cap to the spark plug but still no bright spark i can see from by the car.

next is to change the rotor arm, i have a new one here that doesn't have the rev limiter cutoff but will be fine to test spark though i have moved houses twice since i bought it so it will be in a box buried somewhere in my 3rd bedroom.

Back to the top
can check spark to king lead by popping off the cap and rest it on the head/somewhere metal, close to but not touching. should see a spark from the tip to the engine :)

Back to the top
tried that and didn't notice any spark??? did it have to be part of the head metal as that's where i rested it close to….

pic of coil connections:

coil was not replaced as was working when car came off road a few years ago.

anything else i can check or ask mechanic friend, if there is another way of testing coil

Back to the top
hmmm, whats that last brown wire going to? should only be 2 black wires on the std mk1 coil. also are your spark leads the right type for your coil, they should have like an open end bit on

Back to the top
leads are these:

fthaimike said

Beru HT leads:

Back to the top
yeah they look liek the right type. can you trace that brown wire to your coil, see where it goes?

Back to the top
i will see if i can spot were the brown wire goes.

the car also has k-star engine management fitted to it which controls fuel and advance/retard

Back to the top
thats probably it then. does the rev counter jiggle and can you hear the pump running while its cranking?

Back to the top
yes think so, anyway i looked at the wire and it is brown and yellow, it goes down and behind the brake bar mechanism then as far as i can see it might go up into the bulkhead behind the fusebox area.

the car was a 1.3carb driver when TSR had it off me long long ago and they then transplanted stuff off a white gti they were stripping there iirc? to mate it up to the 2.1 they built me.

Back to the top
hmm it might be the original 1.3 resistor wire for the coil, if so TSR should have removed it and replaced with a normal ignition live wire!  try unplugging it and run a 12v feed direct from the battery. if that works then you'll need to add an ign live feed from the fusebox and bin off that resistor wire. also the coil needs to be replaced for a proper electronic ignition one if its the original 1.3 one

Back to the top
the coil would have been the right one and i replaced it at a later date and used it as it is and wired for years.

you can see the brown/yellow wire going downwards:

assume it comes back out and goes up here:

pic of the fusebox:

only gremlins i ever had was with the fuel pump relay which they put in the engine bay and the ignition as i remember breaking down once and wiggling it got it to start though that seems fine now.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.