Skip navigation

Jimbo's Mk1 Golf 1.8t

Back to the top

Jimbo's Mk1 Golf 1.8t

so after a trip to Poland, I'm now on Easter leave, so back for just under a week, basically want to get it MOTd by Tuesday…
Bought some things off the internet;
new window wipers;

and a front engine mount;

replaced the old N/S tie rod bellow;

also started to remove the O/S tie rod, but its not that straight forward, the tie rod end wouldn't come loose, so ended up grinding it off then heating it up and smashing it out¬;

roll on tomorrow…

Photobucket

Back to the top
so to remove the O/S track rod, i had to remove the turbo down pipe;

i could then get minimal movement with some spanners!

and wallah;

old vs new

new track rod/end on;

also put the front brakes and coilovers on, replaced the leaking rear N/S brake hose, and some welding near the rear axle…
how she sits tonight;

just need to bleed the front brakes (already did the rears then the auto bleeding thingy decided to break), and source a mk1 front drivers seat!
also booked MOT for monday :)

Photobucket

Back to the top
Good luck with the MOT tomorrow Jimbo. Hope you got the seat sorted in the end. :)

Back to the top
cheers man. just been and fetched a seat so, just need to fit that ready for tomorrow!
Repaired everything that needed doing according to the previous MOT fail, so i'll be f8cked off if it fails!!

Photobucket

Back to the top
Fingers crossed for u mate.. Should be fine:)

Back to the top
well she finally passed!!
Still the geezer nearly failed it on the seat not moving with again, even though it was the standard mk1 seat in there!!

Photobucket

Back to the top
That's the only thing ul not pass mate lol

Back to the top
Congrats Jimbo. Now get her finished off and get out there and enjoy her. :)

Back to the top
Cheers man. I've never had a car that's been finished lol
Just about to start my 300 mile trip back down south…
And here's my sound system;

:D

Photobucket

Back to the top
:lol: Nice one. It's going to be a long journey by the looks of it. Turn it off mate and enjoy the engine noise.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Back in Cornwall now, no problems at all! (Touch wood)
And as for the music, sitting at 3k rpm for many hours does eventually get boring ;) 
320 mile trip cost me about £65… MPG anyone?!

Edit- works out at 32 MPG, not bad, considering I was having a bit of fun too ;)

Photobucket

Back to the top
She made it then mate. I had visions of you posting on here from an AA van :lol:

32MPG isn't too bad if you were playing about but then again you didn't sort the car for MPG did you. :)

Back to the top
 :lol:
Well I did start driving and after 2 min the oil light starts flashing and buzzing?! But switched the car off and on, and it was ok?! Strange!!
Just need to sort out this no charging/ no battery light problem… Any ideas?!

Photobucket

Back to the top
No front engine mount;

front engine mount fitted:

Also just bought a starter motor bolt(the long top one), from VW… Which is only a two minute drive from where I'm livin at the minute!!

Photobucket

Back to the top
car is looking great :D Must shift!! love the colour, dont suppose you know what it is and the paint code? looks similar to mine but cant seem to find the right colour  :P lol

Back to the top
Cheers mate. Yeah it's pretty nippy ;)
No idea on the colour code though mate, sorry!

Photobucket

Back to the top
No real update. Just been enjoying driving it! (And watching my bank quickly go down)

As the whether's gorgeous down here today, gave her a good clean;

Photobucket

Back to the top
Planning on lowering it this weekend a touch, and add the camber shims on the rear...

Photobucket

Back to the top
looks good in the photos mate, nicer in the flesh though :thumbs:

cheers for the brake parts too, just need to get round to fitting them now :lol:

'83 formel e

Back to the top
Thought if slap some red tape on the grille-

Will try it tomorrow when I lower it :D

Photobucket
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.