Skip navigation

Humble Beginnings...........

Back to the top

Humble Beginnings...........

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Cheers for the links mate :thumbs:Yeah I tried to push the tank down in the bracket but it then fouls on the 16v servo. Think I'm going to look into getting a tank made up ,there's a company round near where I work who (I think) might be able to make me an alloy tank so will pop in and have a chat, the tank only needs to be made ever so slightly shorter and it will all fit perfectly!

Managed a couple of hours on the golf this afternoon, now have fitted the drive shafts and exhaust manifold, can't describe how good a feeling it is to be finally fitting parts that I bought for her literally years ago!!

Have read from so many threads over the years how close the manifold is to the steering rack gaiters but you just can't fully appreciate how close until you fit it all together, definitely going to have to look into wrapping the gaiters in some form of heat shielding to protect them from melting / catching fire!

I've seen you can fit / get fitted engine bay fire suppression systems in case of the worst, whether anyone on here has anything like that!? Any recommendations??

Back to the top
I used a plumbers mat on mine, been on the car for about 10 months and the rubber boot seems fine and is still soft and supple, mines a daily drive to it's used every day.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-Plumbers-Soldering-Brazing-Heat-Resistant-Mat-300mm-x-250mm-633540-/121548520945?hash=item1c4cdb3df1:g:qFQAAOSw8d9UvjW1

Picture, I just wrapped it around and used some ties to hold it in place.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Ah ok yeah that would work, nice one cheers mate! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Bit of a thread revival here, bare with me, progress may be slow but is still ongoing……..few pics:

02j tower into 02a gearbox

dizzy cap rotated 90°

not sure if this is the correct HT lead configuration, anyone?

g60 brakes

g60 brakes just fit under the 15" alloys

how the wheels sit in arches with no spacers

hydraulic clutch reservoir located in the scuttle tray on the redundant bracket since I replaced the original MK1 wiper motor for a MK2 wiper motor

carbs

original jets (right) replaced with 180 main jets (left)

ZX9R bike pump fitted to the underside of the car

the engine bay as it currently stands

once the carbs are fitted, the fuel lines plumbed in and a couple other jobs have been done then I'll be taking her to the local garage to have all new brake pipes fitted and hydraulic clutch plumbed in.

my main aim is to get her on the road asap for this summer………………..hopefully more updates to follow soon! :thumbs: 

Back to the top
the firing order is 1 3 4 2 anti clockwise, bit tricky to make out what order yours is.

lead #1 needs to be where the rotor arm is pointing when the cylinder head is at TDC, but the abf cap can be a bit confusing as to where cylinder 1 is. what i did in the end is use a multimeter to check. alternatively you can try it, then if no fire move them all round 1. repeat till it works :lol:

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Right ok, well as you look directly on to the dizzy they are positioned so:

Bottom left - cylinder 1
Bottom right - cylinder 3
Top right - cylinder 4
Top left - cylinder 2

From what you say they might be correct however I might get my brother in law to bring home a multimeter from his work just to be sure when I first start her up, cheers :thumbs:

Back to the top
This is looking great! I just wrapped the steering boot with heat wrap on my old Gti and had no trouble but if I did it again I'd do more to keep the heat away from it, keep it up!

Back to the top
squinting at pics of my abf that looks how mine is as well so looks like you got it right :)

Back to the top
Hi ya how's your project coming on . Hope to see you at a regional meet in Norwich one day.

Back to the top
Hello mate, I've actually come a long way since I last updated this and I'm so close to getting her running!

Had a few issues here and there with sorting coolant pipework and such, now just trying to sort the last of the wiring queries I have. I've had all new brake pipes fitted and now just need to bleed all the brakes. Hydraulic clutch is plumbed in, just needs bleeding. Also need to connect the exhaust up which should be relatively simple (famous last words!). Once the front brakes are bled then hopefully I'll be able to run the wheels without using spacers.

So yeah so close now and every minute I can get on the car is making all the difference, anyway, a few pics of  how she currently stands.

Back to the top
The most awkward coolant pipe is this one:

Had to get a modified coolant flange off the engine pointing at more of an angle to help clear the underside of the bike carbs, then had to get a pipe to connect from this to the radiator and also try and miss the oil dipstick level pipe, oil catch can breather hose, fuel pipes and all the other associated gubbins going there which seemed to be pretty much everything! lol

But got there in the end! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Let there be life……………………

Big thanks to Rubjonny for all his help (and patience) with the wiring side of things, wouldn't have had the confidence to tackle it otherwise! :thumbs:To say I'm well chuffed is an understatement…………………another MK1 soon to be back on the roads!

Back to the top

Back to the top
What's happening with this? :wub:

be humble. sit down

Back to the top
Still progressing albeit very slowly.

Currently refitting the interior, just need to sort the timing out, adjust the fueling to the carbs, couple of electrical gremlins to sort then going to get it to my local garage for tracking and a couple of other bits then straight into the MOT and hopefully be on the road for the summer (famous last words! Lol)

Back to the top
Any news? i'm very bored at work and have just read through this entire thread…. :$
What a tease! did it ever get finished???  O_o

Back to the top
So yeah still a work in progress, had her running but decided to strip the carbs off and go injection route instead.

Got some Porsche tombstone seats and corrado interior for the height adjustable bases for the Porsche seats however the corrado seats are so tidy I'm debating on sticking with them instead. Just get the corrado front and standard rear seats retrimmed with half leather sides and tartan interiors and leave it at that interior wise.

Just had some custom fuel lines made up, couple more wiring related points to sort then off to the garage for a couple of jobs then MOT then finally drive the damn thing! Lol

Back to the top
20210508_210644.jpg 20210516_142224.jpg

Ok so yes this one is still alive albeit progressing alot slower than I originally intended. I'm sure there's plenty of you that can relate to this!?

I'm currently at the ugly wiring stage, having decided on running the original Motronic injection system, just finalising the last few connections, what is/isn't needed so that I can (hopefully) get her running.

Once she's running she'll be sent to my local garage for a few tweaks, check over (need engineers report to send the DVLA to confirm the conversion has been done properly) and then MOT'd.

Then finally use it, by this summer is now my deadline 🤞

Back to the top
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=new-technical-non%2Fmk1-golf-motronic-ecu

Current progress is as the above link, just trying to sort some fuelling issues which once solved, will hopefully mean she'll run………..its a good job I've got plenty of patience!
There are too many online users to list.