Skip navigation

Black L Reg Sportline Cab project

Back to the top

Black L Reg Sportline Cab project

thats a fine job fair play

Back to the top
Hi Guys, sorry I have not been updating my project page for so long, I have had an absolute Nightmare finishing this old girl, BUT, she is finally finished…for now!! Definately an ongoing project, but its time to enjoy this beautiful weather Smile I have just entered for the COTM, so hope some of you guys will vote for me pleeeaaaasssseeeee Smile For everyone who hasnt read my original link, I have copied the text I have sent to COTM for your interest, and hope to finally start meeting some of you guys very soon Very Happy

COTM TEXT -

The Person

Hi, my names Daniel Cragg, I'm 37, and live in a small village just outside Milton Keynes. I am happily married with 2 children, 2 puppies, 4 degu's, 3 cats and about 12 fish! I have always been into my cars, but before this had only ever owned two other classics, both being Deloreans.

I used to be a Director of a Computer Software Company, but now spend my time managing some investment properties for myself and my immediate family.

I was very fortunate to have owned a lovely Black MK1 Cab GTI when I was 17 and sold it when I was 20, but you never forget your first as they say, and always hoped to buy another at some point.

The Purchase

My Brother in-law purchased Gertie as she is known in late 2009, an L Reg Sportline registered on 21st August 1993, and as he knew I had had a very similar one as my first car he bought it straight over so I could have a drive, and it was love at first site as they say. As soon as we got back to my house I said if you ever sell her I will buy, just under a year later she was mine, and then the work began!

The Project

Unfortunately Gertie had, in the past, had a glass in respray which was not the best, every panel had some kind of problem, be it rust, dents, scratches etc. She had been lowered to within an inch of her life so had no suspension to speak of, the original wheels were in a shocking state, all the indicators and rear lights had been swapped for tinted or clear ones, she had an aftermarket steering wheel, gearknob,window winders, the list goes on and on. Another major issue was the filler neck was totally rusted away and this had spread to all the bodywork directly around it which all needed cutting out. The boot was badly damaged so was replaced, as was one of the front wings. My vision was for her to look like she had just rolled out of the factory…no easy task, and not cheap to say the least!

So I joined this wonderful club straight away as a paid member, and got to work sourcing all the original bits I required (big shout out to FUNKSTAR who was an absolute god send).

Then, with the help of a very good friend, I set to task stripping the car for a complete respray which was done over the winter by a great little VW friendly body shop over in Buckingham. During that time I sourced all the final parts I needed, including a set of brand new original rear lights. Once she came back we painstakingly rebuilt her, I got all the wheels refurbed, new tyres to original spec, bought one of the lovely German Sportline steering wheels, AND as an absolute bonus I even managed to buy back my original registration plate from my first cabby, HIP VW, that I sold 13 years ago!

Then she went away for another month to have various electrical issues sorted out and for her MOT. I have just got her back in time for the lovely weather Smile

She is very much an ongoing project, the petrol tank is being replaced shortly, and next year I will be reinstating the cat and having a whole new exhaust system fitted. She has been an absolute labour of pure love, which has nearly bankrupted me, stressed me out more than I ever knew I could be, and has drawn blood sweat and tears on many occasions.

But I can't even begin to describe the sheer joy of now driving this beautiful cabby around, it really has been worth every penny, and to wrap up I just wanted to say a massive thank you to all the members on here that have gone out of their way to help me and offer advice on every aspect of my project, especially CHORTLE, SHUGHY and the already mentioned FUNKSTAR, you guys are all stars!

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
Well been out and bought some brake cleaner today, so as of the weekend going to give my engine bay a proper good clean, also my new fuel tank has arrived and is being fitted next wednesday, then she will be going back to have a full service and cambelt change.........MONEY PIT!

Back to the top

Back to the top
3 for 2 deal on Turtle Wax cockpit shine at Halfords, stuff is brilliant for the golf......got new car smell and strawberry version :-)

Back to the top

Back to the top
And thanks Shughy for pointing me in the right direction for the petrol tank :-)

Back to the top

myfirstcarwasagolf said

Hiya mate, your car is looking absolutely awesome. Congratulations on a job very well done!  :cheer:  :dance:  8)

Back to the top
Yeah, nice car.  8O

1989 MK1 Golf Clipper
1999 Ford Cougar 2.5 v6 (soon the nightmare will be over and car gone)

Back to the top
Many thanks Gav and 89 clipper......I have been through hell and back with this old girl, but was all worth it in the end :-)

Back to the top

myfirstcarwasagolf said

And thanks Shughy for pointing me in the right direction for the petrol tank :-)

No problem -  :lol:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
I put that schultz - underseal primer on the tank - looked class when done!

to:

It's a plasticised coating that remains somwhat flexible so stones tend to bounce off rather than chip the paint coating. I suppose you could use it in wheel arches etc.

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
I like it....does it come in a spray form or do you paint it on..........where do you get it from, and how long does it take to dry properly.......tank being fitted on Wednesday morning, so would really only have Tuesday to sort.....so many questions.........
There are too many online users to list.