Skip navigation

Black L Reg Sportline Cab project

Back to the top

Black L Reg Sportline Cab project

Hi Gav, cheers for the tip...noticed that chubnut has genuine mk2 identical versions of the bresco ones, but when I contacted him he said they were slightly to big, so have now ordered some of those, and will try your method......will let you know how I get on :-)

Back to the top
Did you have any problems when you refitted your bodykit mate, apart from having to skim bits of expanding nuts….did you use a gasket set etc and do you have any tips that may make my life that little easier…I am unfortunately going through the "wish I had never bloody started"stage at the moment where everything that can go wrong does!

Back to the top
I didn't really come across any problems. I bought all new fastners/screws/washers from VW/Bresco to do mine. I reused the gaskets that were on my car, but need 2 new sill length ones as mine have snapped about an inch short at the front. I'm going to replace them once the bad weather has passed (good time to clean out in the sill again!).

Did you remove the kit before and was there any sealant on the back of the arches? Use PU sealant or similar to bond the arch to the body and tape the seam to hold it down till it goes off. I half srewed in the holding screws to make sure it was aligned whilst the sealant set, that was the most nerve racking bit!

Do you have a Cabriolet Bentley manual? They show refitting/bonding Scirocco arches in there, it's not the same but similar!

Keep it up, your nearly there now and it's looking lush.  8)

Back to the top
Cheers for that Gav.To be honest, when I removed my clipper kit it was all a bit of a mess really...no gasket set at all so never knew I needed one until Chortle mentioned it, now have a set coming from America.....and yes there was sealant on the arches...so much so that I snapped one of the arches getting it off....the bodyshop loved me :-)I have really heard to schools of thought on that now, some say dont put any on at all, and others say dont forget the sealant! So mp plan is to use a very light amount of silicone sealant on the arches just to stop any vibarations etc......did you put much on??? And cheers, she is getting there, cant wait for all to be over now...until next year when the enginge will probably come out to be recond........it goes on and on mate.....

Back to the top

myfirstcarwasagolf said

Cheers for that Gav.To be honest, when I removed my clipper kit it was all a bit of a mess really…no gasket set at all so never knew I needed one until Chortle mentioned it, now have a set coming from America…..and yes there was sealant on the arches…so much so that I snapped one of the arches getting it off….the bodyshop loved me :-)I have really heard to schools of thought on that now, some say dont put any on at all, and others say dont forget the sealant! So mp plan is to use a very light amount of silicone sealant on the arches just to stop any vibarations etc……did you put much on??? And cheers, she is getting there, cant wait for all to be over now…until next year when the enginge will probably come out to be recond……..it goes on and on mate…..
Oh and yes, I bought a brand new clipper fitting kit from FUNKSTAR that he bought from VW, so have all the washers/screws/rivets etc…did you use any rivets on yours?

Back to the top
I used PU sealant on my kit, but only a really small amount - a fine smear about 30cm length across the apex of the arch. I fitted it dry first to check it all looked ok. Do it somewhere warm if you can to help the sealant go off, I did mine mid summer.

I bought the black headed rivets from VW too, from memory they are only to join the arch to the bumper. I bought a cheap (£3) hand rivet gun to fit them.

Back to the top
Cheers for that Gav, most appreciated......... :-)

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
Got my refurbished wheels back today from Pristine…WOW, thats a damn fine job :-)Not 100% original as I decided to go for the Diamond Cut rim finish as opposed to the painted silver…which I have to say looks superb…..and I have also gone for chrome look bbs centre caps which match the new rims perfectly…….and, I have also finally managed to get back the number plate that I originally had on my first cab and that I bought when it was first released by the dvla 20 years ago, and that I sold13 years ago….well chuffed…and I still have the original number plates in near mint condition that I took off my cab before I sold it, so they can finally go back on in about a month :-) pics of that to follow shortly :-)AND……received my clipper bodykit gasket set from the states today, just in time for the weekend…so if we get chance……..!

Back to the top
Well, another joyless Sunday working on the car, wrong clips/wrong filter/missing parts etc etc.....still, we have STARTED on the bodykit, just, but all the seals are at least now fitted, all glass back in, windscreen went in today, new hood being fitted on Tuesday, booked in for its final buffing at the bodyshop on 28th, just got to MOT and service inbetween, fit new wheels, get rear lights working properly..................pretty pointless photos to follow, but I do like to up-date :-.........

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
My new (old) registration, ready to go back onto my car shortly :-)

Back to the top

Back to the top
Also my Brand new Old Stock rear lights have arrived today, and my new Air Filter........nearly there :-)

Back to the top

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.