Skip navigation

1982 Inari Silver 1.5GL

Back to the top

1982 Inari Silver 1.5GL

First up, hello everybody, been a long time since I've been here!  Decided to take the plunge back into MK1 ownership recently (my 10th or 11th one I think), and here's my new toy;

It's a 1982 1.5 GL Automatic.  66000 miles on the clock.  It had been sat on someone's drive for the last 18 months, except for a trip to the MOT centre.  The missus sent me out to Tesco, went past this on the way, and ended up purchasing it.  Needless to say she wasn't impressed  :dontknow:

I've got a company car I use for work, so plans for this are to use it as a daily runaround.  I've got some MK1 parts in the shed which I'll chuck on to tart it up, but nothing major planned for now, as I've got another project car on the go (I'll add pictures to the other car thread if anyone is interested).

Cheers

Back to the top
I love that colour,very nice looking golf mate,what's the other project? Pics please  :wink:
The missus sent me out to Tesco, went past this on the way, and ended up purchasing it. Needless to say she wasn't impressed
Every little helps as they say  :lol:

Back to the top
This is my ex girlfriends car! I went with her one very cold and wet night to look at it and collect it from a young chap that bought it but couldn't afford the insurance! Is a clean motor. Your right, apart from the MOT it hasn't seen a mile in her ownership.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this one to see how it pans out.

Good luck.

David

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
sphmk1 - the other project is an old toyota, the link can be found here - http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…s&file=viewtopic&t=125210

David - small world.  I'm presuming Lauren is your ex then?  She seemed a bit upset to sell it, but I'll look after the car.  I think knowing your car is going to a good owner is a reassuring thing!  I sent her a picture of how it looks now the other day and she seemed happy :)

So anyways, I actually picked the car up about 3 weeks back, it just takes me ages to find the time to do anything on the internet, hence why I only started this thread today.

I managed to get two hours spare on the car last weekend (first time I'd touched it since buying it), so set to work!  First up was some routine jobs that needed sorting - bought a new tailgate strut as the other one was on it's last legs, and rebuilt the boot lock that didn't work.  Next up I replaced the grill for a single light model I had laying around.  Just need to get a badge for it now;

I then set about sorting out the pink tartan glovebox!;

After;

Next on the list was sorting the dodgy radiator switch, which was duly replaced with one I'd ordered up from GSF.

Back to the top
After all that it was time to set about sorting the ride height.  The car ran lower at the back than at the front, which just wouldn't do, so it was back into the trusty shed of parts to pull these out;

Half hour later, the car had gone from this;

To this;

Much more appealing I think!

Next it was back to the shed to see what wheels I had running spare (I like to have a few sets as you never know!), and half an hour later the car was looking like this;

I also added a chin spoiler that came with the car;

Future plans include sorting the bubbly bodywork out a bit, giving the engine a service, and just generally driving it.  It's back on the p-slots now, but I'm tempted to roll the arches so I can change the wheels again (so I can actually run the above wheels at that height and go round corners, or I may put the xxr513 wheels from my Cressida on there - 15x8 et0).

Back to the top

jabbo said

sphmk1 - the other project is an old toyota, the link can be found here - http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…s&file=viewtopic&t=125210

David - small world.  I'm presuming Lauren is your ex then?  She seemed a bit upset to sell it, but I'll look after the car.  I think knowing your car is going to a good owner is a reassuring thing!  I sent her a picture of how it looks now the other day and she seemed happy :)

So anyways, I actually picked the car up about 3 weeks back, it just takes me ages to find the time to do anything on the internet, hence why I only started this thread today.

I managed to get two hours spare on the car last weekend (first time I'd touched it since buying it), so set to work!  First up was some routine jobs that needed sorting - bought a new tailgate strut as the other one was on it's last legs, and rebuilt the boot lock that didn't work.  Next up I replaced the grill for a single light model I had laying around.  Just need to get a badge for it now;

I then set about sorting out the pink tartan glovebox!;

After;

Next on the list was sorting the dodgy radiator switch, which was duly replaced with one I'd ordered up from GSF.

Yeah she saw was mate, lovely girl, and I know she was a little sad to see it go, she always wanted a MK1 after I had my first, was quite surprised when she decided to sell. I will point her in this direction so she can keep an eye on it.

Car is looking good already, amazing what a set of Coilovers, wheels and a single light grille can do! Good work!

David.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
Lovely little car mate, I'm really digging the body colour and interior combo :)

Back to the top
Looking good! i had Lenso BSX on my clipper, ( link below). Coilovers just give it such a different look :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
I love this color!

Back to the top

sphmk1 said

I love that colour,very nice looking golf mate,what's the other project? Pics please  :wink:
The missus sent me out to Tesco, went past this on the way, and ended up purchasing it. Needless to say she wasn't impressed
Every little helps as they say  :lol:

I'd like a pound for every time back in the 80's I had to explain that "Inari Silver" is or is not green or not, but silver or not, maybe!
If you followed that, you must of met me in a VW Dealer down South.  :mrgreen:   

All joking aside, that was/is a cracking classic color and the car looks really great, nice one mate!  :clap:

Mike.

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Been a while since I've touched the car due to other things going on, but moved the car over to the new house this week, and decided to change wheels once I was there;

Back to the top
Nice rims mate and I like the stance. Prefer the old rims tbh though. :)

Back to the top
Cheers buddy,

tbh I changed the wheels as I was having rubbing issues with the others (being 16x8).  I'd need to do some arch work if I wanted to run them properly, or raise the car up.

The teledials have got plenty of clearance, and the car can still go lower if I want on them.

Back to the top
Oh ok mate. Looks low enough to me but then again I am old  :lol:

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

I'm old too, I just don't act my age  :lol:

Back to the top

jabbo said

smudger1980 said

I'm old too, I just don't act my age  :lol:

I've been accused of that too by the wife  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
amazing what a drop and a set of decent rims can achieve.

:wub:

Back to the top
Gotta love an Inari mk1. I've got one too…….it's a Derby though!

I liked the pink glove box, you should have left it alone  :lol:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Cheers guys.

I've still got the glovebox if you want it  :lol:

Back to the top
I see you changed the suspension in a earlier post. How much did you lower the ride height from standard? Also what diameter wheels are you using. Looks wise, seems awesome.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.