Skip navigation

1300cc driver - fitting a 5 speed box.

Back to the top

1300cc driver - fitting a 5 speed box.

Hi all

Its a 1983 mk1.

Can this be done and what bits are needed.

Any details appriciated.

Back to the top
Before deciding to do this, have a read of this:

http://www.clubgti.com…forum_posts.asp?TID=49143

It can be done and for the chassis leg mounting it requires the need to chop up half of one mounting and half of the other, then carefully weld them together to create the required mount, cant remember what linkage parts you need and it seems as though the mount pictures from that thread have gone missing again. :dontknow:

Back to the top
ARGH!! - Why is the Internet full of these people with opinions?!?

majority of Mk2 1.3's have
FOUR SPEED 'BOXES!! - for goodness sake.

Okay - 5-speed onto mk1 1100 or 1300 is a WASTE OF TIME!

However, Riley was right, you simply fabricate your own gearbox top mount as the bolts on the 4-speed run vertical and on the 5-speed, horisontal.

HOWEVER - your gearlinkage will hit the exhuast font pipe - as a result you WON'T BE ABLE TO SELECT 5th gear.  Thus making the whole entire excersice pointless.

You could make your own exhaust I suppose…

Do NOT cut and weld anything on the chassis leg either - you will be using the welder on the BOLT ON gearbox top mount.

Can I just ask in your original question - why?

Oh, and, might be nice to know what Mk1 it is, 1100, 1300?  Engine code, etc…  These things are useful when atempting to answer technical questions.

Back to the top

5th gear

Don't want to be controversial, but my 1.3 driver has had a 5-speed box in and its handy on long journeys, mine came out of an '89 polo derby. Then again mines got a 2g bottom end fitted so it might explain why theres no trouble with mine. :|

Back to the top
steve title sez 1300cc and its a driver.

Its had a 'new'  engine put in after the old one lost a cyclinder (volkspares refurb- but the screws for the cam cover dont all screw into anything! so oil leaks etc) and a new weber carb. eibach springs and new shorter dampers.

Bodys in really good nick as is the interior apart from the cables for the seats, going to get hold of a pair of mk2 front seats to go in.

If its really not worth it then OK I'll leave it with the 4 speed.

The bad things about the car is an after market sun roof (leaky needs a new one but as its a stupidly large size its being difficult to get hold of one) and the fuel filler neck went at the top, that was replaced, but water got in the tank and rusted it a bit, so I need to get the tank out and sort it.

Other than that its a fun car, kind of wish I'd bought a decent GTi (I had 2 ropey 1600cc gti's but they both had serious problems so go parted out) but never had the money.

Back to the top
When I bought my 1300 Driver I looked at countless GTI's and they were all ropey back then so I hate to think what it's like trying to find a decent one nowerdays.

I'm guessing it's an a GF engine?  Might be an HK if it's a recon one.

When I got mine it was on it's original 1.3 GF engine which had been fully rebuilt to the tune of about ?800.  I soon blew that engine sky high! lol

I'm running an 1100 'box in mine at the moment because it makes the car even more revvy and sprinty - absolutely flies upto 90.  The next 1.3 I build is destined for my Mk1 Polo and that will be using the even scremier 895cc gearbox - HURRAH!!

Back to the top
Don't take the tank out, get under your back seat and have a look first, a slightly less dramatic operation that will save you a few quid! i'm sure you can clear the majority of the rust out like that. :)

Back to the top
i fied a 5 speed box to my last Mk1, it wasnt that hard, the hardest bit is the gear box mounting bracket, you need a box from a 1.3 polo, im not sure wich code is the est, but this may be on the CGTI thread, then its just a case of fitting the box, cutting both the original mk1 mounting bracket and the polo one and welding them together, you can she how bes to do this when you have them next to each other and teh box is in.  As for selecting gears, you need to lift the gear gator, and remove the rubber strip, thats visable, this will allow your stick to move over enough to select the 5th gear.

there are a few other problems that you will encounter, but these are the ones i can remember right now.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Back to the top
I have read somwhere that a MK3 box has cable change, this would make the linkage easier to fit or am I woofing up the wrong willow?

TT

Back to the top
an easy mod, i recomend, all u need is the mount from the 5 speed box,, also add the polo flywheel, and clutch as its a 190mm and in total teh clutch and flywheel is 1kg lighter!!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

ARGH!! - Why is the Internet full of these people with opinions?!?

HOWEVER - your gearlinkage will hit the exhuast font pipe - as a result you WON'T BE ABLE TO SELECT 5th gear.  Thus making the whole entire excersice pointless.

its fine it will go on with standard exaust and ashley 4 branch as theres loads of room, and 4 not selecting 5th thats because it hits in teh rubber in teh gear stick surround, take off that rubber and ull b fine!!! ( under the grar stick gater))

Steve_Matthews get a hair cut as u seem 2 b pulling it out about wrong things lol

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
someone said add the flywheel of a polo? are we talking add the flywheel from any 1300 polo? onto amk1 golf 1300??
can it be done easily? what else can you do to it?
as i have bought a set of r6 carbs today of ebay and getting my manifold made up asap, and amlooking to do a few other little mids to it.
many thanks
simon

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

Back to the top
someone said add the flywheel of a polo? are we talking add the flywheel from any 1300 polo? onto amk1 golf 1300??
can it be done easily? what else can you do to it?

What difference will it make?  Explain.

its fine it will go on with standard exaust and ashley 4 branch as theres loads of room

Hmm - bizzare - well it certainly hit my exhaust WHEN I DID IT.  Obviously you've done something else to the car too which you've omitted to mention.

Back to the top
1kg lighter as he allready said. this will make the engine more revy,

i always have the last laugh ;)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

Back to the top

sim0n_parker said

1kg lighter as he allready said. this will make the engine more revy,
more revy, but will have less inertion
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.