Skip navigation

Porsche 928 alloys onto my Mk1 Cabrio - What adaptors???

Back to the top

Porsche 928 alloys onto my Mk1 Cabrio - What adaptors???

Hi, picked up some nice 928 alloys (not sure what the proper name is)which i'm planning to have refurbed for me cabrio. The rims are: Front 7x16 / Rear 8x16, Offset = Front 65mm / Rear 52.3mm.

What i need to know is what spacer size in mm i'm gona need to put on?? :dontknow:

Had a quick look today and hub adaptors vary from 20mm spacing upwards. I still want to lower the car so whats best without having any arch mods done?

The rims look like this:

Hopefully once i have polished, i'll end up with something like this (not my car BTW) :)

Thanks in advance for your help :wink:

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top
Been told its gonna be poss 35mm front, 25mm rear…..but best to get advise from another mk1 owner to be sure. Rims due to be finished from refurb…hopefully over the weekend….so want the adaptors ordered ASAP.

Gota be someone running these?? :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top
Have a look through the images thread. You may find someone with a car running these. Best to do your research yourself and PM rather than waiting for someone to happen across your thread.

T

Back to the top
Cheer Tian for the advice. Have actually got a few PMs sent hoping to get the answer on this. Thing with porsche rims is they vary on offsets, ie the d90s differ to the coookies and 928s to the fuchs and so on…..so its a mixed bag of what adaptors people run. I have trailed over pages and pages of threads and often find simalar posts asking, but no definitive responses. Its probably the fact that its been asked so many times, know1s bothered anymore with replying - but guess thats fair enough. I'll def post it up once i get mine running. Worst case, you'll be seeing varius size adaptors going up in the classified :wink:

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top
These come in several sizes, and if you want it low chances sre you will need to roll your arches. Easy job if they are clean and original, if not you'll be looking at paint, or more.

Whats the et on the rims? Should be stamped on the inside near the bolt holes.

Max et on a lowered golf you can run without body work is around 25- 30, so if you work out what the wheels are and minus 28-30, that will give you the width of spacers required. You can run with stretch tyres, or a lower profile, but, as you probablt know this will change the rolling radius of the wheel and will require other compensations!

ie . if the wheels are et 53, then a 20mm spacer will give you an et of 33, ……\i think, but best check with someone else too!!

Back to the top
Hello M8, The rims are: Front 7x16 / Rear 8x16, Offset = Front 65mm / Rear 52.3mm. With 35mm upfront and 25mm spacers on the rear hoping this would do the trick…just wanted abit of knowhow frm some1 who did it before i forked out

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top
Had a few PMS about em so i thought post up a quick note. Went for 22mm spacers all round. Fronts are really really close on the inners (just over a mm left) but clearing the coily, rears are fine. No arch moddin required and with these spacers, the offsets left me good to tuck all round. Having a touch of body work done soon so only did trial fitted to check clearence.

few pics (Cars filthy)

Lost daylight but all 4 on

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top
Few pics of the motor clean

Rims before and after furb, wrapped in 195/40/16 all round

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top
jeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz those wheels are nice!!! have you finally got them on and road tested? what is your final set up ie spacer size etc? sounds very close to the coils up front dude?!

Back to the top
spaced 22mm all round. Yep very close upfront and my test run was litterally only around the block, but seems fine and no scrubbin :roll: Guess when i lower it more will need to receheck clearenece but am gona keep an eye out for a set of 25s to be on the safe side

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top

jinsta said

spaced 22mm all round. Yep very close upfront and my test run was litterally only around the block, but seems fine and no scrubbin :roll: Guess when i lower it more will need to receheck clearenece but am gona keep an eye out for a set of 25s to be on the safe side

What was the ride like… firm?

T

Back to the top
looks mint!

Back to the top
She def doesn't scrub up 2bad in pictures and def the mintest one I've owned but there's loads of little niggles that need sorting.

The ride was 'firm' on test run, but can't really blame the tyres (yet) as its on crappy hot tuning coilys so the ride quality went out the window ages ago.

I know the tyres wont absorb too much, but wheels go on I'll be dropping new coilys on at the same time - which should hopefully compensate and leave me with a reasonably comfortable ride.  

Torn between KW v1s and Weitec GTs - there's price diff between em but been told ride quality's on par…so dunno. Is any1 running either and care to comment?

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top
Got the same wheels for my cab, and in the process of polishing em up myself so will let everyone know how I get on.

Went for 20mm spacers for mine, and Hot Tuning coilovers - all are still to be fitted so watch this space!!

Loving the stretch on the rims jinsta - going for Conti Sport 2's on mine.

You gonna be at the AGM jinsta?

Go Hard or Go Home

Back to the top
got on my tintop,went 35mm adapters,dropped alot on coillies,surprisingly comfortable....195 40 16 tyres

Back to the top

mr-potato-head82 said

Got the same wheels for my cab, and in the process of polishing em up myself so will let everyone know how I get on.

Went for 20mm spacers for mine, and Hot Tuning coilovers - all are still to be fitted so watch this space!!

Loving the stretch on the rims jinsta - going for Conti Sport 2's on mine.

You gonna be at the AGM jinsta?

Will def try and make the show and will hopefully have my tinny on road by then. 20mm was too tight for mine, even with 22mm, thinking 25mm would be optimal for front as the inner rim to strut gap is kinda fractional. My rim width/et details in first posts. I'm actually still not rolling on these yet :( , due to other projects and a few mishaps with the cabrio…but will do soon enough!!

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top
Looking good, I have a set of these for my cabrio as well. mine are 7x16  et 65 all round, looking to use 30mm spacers and have 195 45 16 yoko's going on them once refurbed.
  not having mine polished though….too lazy to keep em cleen 8)  :lol:

Back to the top
Fitted the 20mm spacers and coilies with the 7" 928 rims.

Took it for a spin round the block and found a spacer had worked its way loose and the inside of the wheel was rubbing on the coilie!!

After adjusting the ride height so that the locking nut on the coilie was comfortably clear of the tyre, and properly torquing the spacer bolts (doh!), I set the camber so that the rim is away from the coilover. HOWEVER, the camber is definately out (top of the wheel sticks out).

Bearing in mind that I need to have my camber properly adjusted at the garage, I found that 20mm is either VERY close or catching depending on how you have your camber set up.

I think I'm going to go for 25-30mm spacers as I don't want to turn up to the garage and have my camber set up to OE stance and for the inside of the wheel to catch on the coilies.

BTW, very few places will adjust camber if your car is slammed as normal gauges can't be used.

Go Hard or Go Home

Back to the top
best to go with 35mm on a tintop with plastic arches no rubbing ,even when lowered
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.