Skip navigation

Sold

Back to the top
Had a little free time this dinner to have a look at the rear brakes now

. IMG_4266.JPG IMG_4270.JPG IMG_4271.JPG

I've got new bearings to put in, new handbrake cables for the mk4 calipers, braided hoses for the calipers, new pads so all the back will also be new.

Found nothing wrong so far which is a surprise!!

Back to the top
Just look how old the bc racing coilovers look and they haven't done many miles !!

Back to the top
Pulled the handbrake cables ou but couldn't get the new ones to feed up to the handbrake.

Back to the top
Always nice to have shiny new parts on your car, for a while  :lol:

You figured the cables out?

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Always nice to have shiny new parts on your car, for a while  :lol:

You figured the cables out?

Matt

No I was just trying to feed them up into the car from the outside but seemed to get stuck ?

Not been in garage since tbh.

They old ones pulled out quite easy so I though they would just feed up.

Back to the top
Pressed the rear bearings in just need to get some grease to pack them.

Back to the top
All the parts haven turned up now so can rebuild the back brakes, fitted the refreshed calipers, new bearings, new discs and pads.

Still got to try waggle that handbrake cable into cab area!

Back to the top
now thats a canny read, went through/ going through a similar situation with my POS. removed a conversion that was done and started afresh. would never buy another car with a engine conversion already done.  

Back to the top

easternkris said

now thats a canny read, went through/ going through a similar situation with my POS. removed a conversion that was done and started afresh. would never buy another car with a engine conversion already done.  

Yeah I might as well have built this from the ground up I'm having to redo everything, shame as I came to the owners club to find a good one and I ended up with this!

The fun continues now with the paint popping on the wing and bonnet, very poor paint prep so it's going to want a full repainted properly.

BUT when it's done it will all be safe and done properly it's just a shame I paid too much for it when I got it.

I've never had a mk1 golf and my brother who looked over the car with me didn't know about engine conversions so we took a chance but I'm finding things that you would have never found. Like the thrush washers missing off the driveshaft, yeah it's worked but it's not 100% right and now they have less slack in the joint.

Or maybe I'm been picking lol

Back to the top
No photos from the yesterday as i only had half hour on it.

Packed new bearings with grease and fitted discs loose.

Back to the top
Had a little bit of time so got the mk4 calipers mounted after a refresh, mintex pads on the rear, matching discs to the fronts.

IMG_4300.JPG

Back to the top
Started connecting the new goodridge hoses for the mk4 calipers but the connection doesn't look right?!?

It was pretty loose going in then when you nip up it doesn't tightened straight….

IMG_4359.JPG IMG_4362.JPG IMG_4363.JPG

Back to the top
Odd looking connection, can see its at an angle going in, dosnt look right.

Back to the top
I had to go back and read from page 1… I cannot think of a more appropriately titled name for your car other than "the Money Pit"… you have been through a lot, but props for not throwing in the towel!

As you already stated, the connection does look off… I don't have any ground breaking suggestions other than the basics (are the threads clean and undamaged, is this occurring on both sides, etc).

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Odd looking connection, can see its at an angle going in, dosnt look right.

Yeah it's not right.

It's a male to male adaptor but the threads are different sizes both sides. The other side had the perfect size, so I've ordered 10mm x 1mm double male adaptor as I think that's the right size. As I don't have a pitch checker.

Back to the top

Fausto said

I had to go back and read from page 1… I cannot think of a more appropriately titled name for your car other than "the Money Pit"… you have been through a lot, but props for not throwing in the towel!

As you already stated, the connection does look off… I don't have any ground breaking suggestions other than the basics (are the threads clean and undamaged, is this occurring on both sides, etc).

There's no way this car is beating me and when I've done with it it will be mint!!

I'm avoiding adding up the cost tho……

Back to the top
I've got a few bits on order and some time Saturday so hopefully make some good progress.

Reverse bleeding kit
Dot 4 brake fluid
Cv outer joint washer (don't come with new cv joints)
2 x 10mm x 1mm male to male adaptors.

Got to try fit the handbrake cables too..

Back to the top
Brake pipe adaptors turned up today and they are now right.

Fitted the handbrake cables just needed a bit of grease to get them through.

Tried to to the other caliper but the carriers threads have worn! 

Back to the top
Castrol dot 4 brake fluids turned up.

Ordered 10 x 1.5mm helicoil kit for worn thread.

Just waiting on the cv joint washer to turn up.

Got an afternoon free tommorow so hopefully I should have some good progress to report back.

(Touch wood)

Back to the top
My zender turbo wheels have suffered a little with surface corrosion under the clear coat I added so thinking of new wheels while I get them refurbed.

Are these wheels a big sin lol

IMG_4373.PNG

I can't justify real bbs wheels.
There are too many online users to list.