Skip navigation

Smudger's 20vt Project A.K.A Patsy. (Update 07/06/2015 Got the love back)

Back to the top

Smudger's 20vt Winter 2012 Project (UPDATE 23/12/12)

OK so not updated in a while for various reasons not least Easter and work :(

Here's a few pics of where the project stands at the moment. (Thanks for JonP for taking them for me). Car now rolls on all four wheels. Few major things to do to finish it off not least the loom which turns out not to be as good as originally thought :P (Standby rubjonny for millions of questions :) ).

Jon stuck a bit of camber on the wheels to make them fit better. (thoughts welcome) Anyway here's the list of things to be done plus the unknown the pop up along the way.

1)Fit fuel pump cradle and rear brake lines.
2)Gear shifter to be fitted and clutch cable
  1. Loom and ecu to be fitted.
  2. Exhaust
  3. Battery (Ditching the boot idea and going with a smaller one in the front idea)

Here's some pics. Comments welcome as always.

20v turbo loom (2 on the left) compared to the 1.1 on the right…..

Plenty of room for a bigger battery up front……………..

Cheers

Smudger

Back to the top
ah thats because they used a car with a relentless manifold fitted to mock it up with, Petes on here pinned a t the top.

Back to the top
You learn something new everyday, it's a constant learning curve with you JP.  ;)

Back to the top
Love this car, well done Smudger and JonP!

The amount of skill and commitment to do something like this is amazing. I can rebuild an engine, but this is something else.

Oh, and you cant beat a bit of camber!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

You learn something new everyday, it's a constant learning curve with you JP.  ;)

Ah man hugs :wub:

Back to the top

wannabemk1owner said

Love this car, well done Smudger and JonP!

The amount of skill and commitment to do something like this is amazing. I can rebuild an engine, but this is something else.

Oh, and you cant beat a bit of camber!

Credit goes to Jon on this Andy, he's been a leg end with this project. I've just supplied the cash for it :lol: he's supplied the know how. It's getting there and we have had some bad luck along the way with some more to come no doubt with the to do list.

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Back to the top
Coming on now. Should be done for Agm lol! 

A fan of the camber aswell. 

Back to the top

Brad. said

Coming on now. Should be done for Agm lol! 

A fan of the camber aswell. 

as will the tyre shop, I was only playing about trying to see if these wheels could be made to fit better.

Back to the top
Car looks great guy's and as said above it takes a lot of skill and commitment(and wonga) to do a project like this, fair play to you both :cool:

Camber looks good :cool:

Back to the top
camber doesnt kill tyres…toe does  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looking good! Well done, the lists getting small now👍

Back to the top
Cheers guys  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

I'm sure we will sort the wheels issue JP.  :)

Back to the top
Lovin it Smudgie, the end is nigh :-)

Back to the top
Have invested in a new set of rims currently being refurbed in black. Thoughts welcome. Do I get the centres matching black or do I leave them silver as they are. What do you think guys??

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Have invested in a new set of rims currently being refurbed in black. Thoughts welcome. Do I get the centres matching black or do I leave them silver as they are. What do you think guys??

Oh I do like the look of those my friend, so for what it's worth I'd leave them (to start with) as they are now.
You can always change them later!

I do think you need a small amount of color contrast, otherwise the they just become to the eye a set of black wheels.
Your making a very subtle statement that these are not just a standard set of Alloys!

Just a thought Mate.  :)  

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Oh very nice Smudge, very nice indeed!  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
leave em be!

Back to the top
Black for me Smudger me old boy :-)

Back to the top

golfcabrio said

smudger1980 said

Oh I do like the look of those my friend, so for what it's worth I'd leave them (to start with) as they are now.
You can always change them later!

I do think you need a small amount of color contrast, otherwise the they just become to the eye a set of black wheels.
Your making a very subtle statement that these are not just a standard set of Alloys!

Just a thought Mate.  :)  

Agree with the above mate. Nice wheels! Sweet refurb job too, whoever did that is talented! :lol:

I can't do much with the nuts being silver because of the plastic BBS use, you can buy black ones though. If they are painted they will chip pretty quickly, but I think the contrast looks good anyway.

Joe

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Hi,

I love the wheels in black, got the same ones on my '86 BMW E30.

I love this car in general, and I've got a problem now. I drive a '79 diesel for work, an '80 1800 cabriolet at the weekend, and not I want a 2-door GTI. Engine swaps are not allowed over here, but even a standard one would be nice.

It's just not fair.

Keep up the good work!
Robin

VW Golf 1500D 5-door 1978 - was daily (wet)
VW Golf 1800 cabriolet 1980 - daily (dry)
Bedford CF Trailblazer 1978 - camper
Bedford CF 350 Flatbed 1976 - fun/work
Mercedes W108 280s 1970 - dusty and forgotten
Mercedes S123 200T 1983 - to be renovated
Mercedes C124 1989 - Winter Beater
BMW E21 1976/82 - dusty but not forgotten
Twingo 2004 (not my fault, somebody gave it to me!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.