Skip navigation

My cabby clean up

Back to the top

1985 1.6gl cabriolet

Finished cleaning down the underside and waxoyling the lot, glad to find no rust whatsoever 

Fitted the rear flaps 

And changed the gearbox oil, glad i did as it was another one of those stories where you pull out 1.3L and refill it with the recommended 2L. Would definitely recommend others to check as it's such a simple job but can wreck the box if not checked. 

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
 :P looks lovely.. im gonna be looking at mudflaps, and defo new aerial.  

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Good work mate.

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
With a quick strip down of the dash to replace the beam warning bulb (a lot of hassle for one bulb) I took the opportunity to fit some new bits

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
hi mate. quick question. How did you go about cleaning the underside of your car? Looking good!!!!

Many Thanks Taron‹

Back to the top
With a lot of patience, I used a small wire brush on the end of a drill to remove as much mud and crud as I dared and then lots of gunk ultra engine degreaser to get as much off as possible, then a nice thick coat of waxoyl underseal.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Looks amazing! Mudflaps are a great shout. Been struggling to find any.

Back to the top
Little touches yesterday, sticker around filler cap, new mats, scratch plates (not sure on them so I might take them off again and pulled the trim off to replace broken clips and clean behind them.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Started prepping my spare bootlid ready for spraying, not my favourite of jobs but needs must.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Lots of rubbing down to remove the areas of laquer bubble and unsightly paint fade areas, hopefully it'll all be ready for spraying on thursday.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top

and some new braided brake lines to go with a brake flush and strip down of the front hubs and wishbones when i get a free weekend.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Are you getting a total respray? Same colour?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I've been brave/dumb and just getting a couple of panels done. Just crossing fingers on the colour match. However it's more of a tide me over sort of job as the plan is the winter after this one to spend a bit of time and strip it down and do a more thorough job, either way the colourcode is staying as I couldn't change from grey as there are very few around and would be a shame to remove another one. 

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Glad you're keeping it the same colour!

As long as your bodyshop chosen is a good one, and I'm sure it is, then they'll match the colour to the rest of your car rather than just go off the original paint code so matching shouldn't be an option.

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Fingers crossed. 

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
It's been a while but many bits of work are in progress. However I decided to take the plunge and go a bit deeper into a restoration that involves full interior strip to increase the sound deadening and addition of vgo gauges. However that will be after I finish in the engine bay. I've removed the engine and gearbox as I needed to replace the clutch and radiator so whilst doing that I bit the bullet to include changing the engine mounts, all new brake lines, new suspension bushes, rear disks, citigolf brake bar, camshaft swap, full stainless exhaust system and silicone hoses/waterpump replacement. And I'll paint the block whilst at it. Many photos to come.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Glad to see you're still at it.

Beam is ready when you are.

Got some other spare powdercoated bits if want to have a look through them to see if anything is of any use to you.

Check out my Mynx thread for sound proofing stuff  O_o

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
There are too many online users to list.