Skip navigation

Mk1 golf gti, 2L 16v, R1 Carbs. Nurburgring Nordschleife

Back to the top

Mk1 golf gti, 2L 16v, OZ turbo's. R1 Carbs

Hi mate, any chance you could get a tape measure and measure from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the arch could you? i've lowered my car and you have the look i was going for. Just wondering if i need to get shorted springs.
Thanks matey

Back to the top
26.5cm from centre of wheel to bottom of arch trim mate. The rear is more for compensating when I carry weight.

Hope that helps

92 caddy, Now stripped for full rebuild
83 golf gti R1 carbed 16v(soon to have 1.8T)
07 Leon FR TDI daily

Cambridgeshire regional host

Back to the top
Lovely car man! Keep up the good work :)

Back to the top
Just flicked through your whole thread, like your MK1, is it Gareths old car? Recognise the reg.

Lovin' it though, some nice details

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Just flicked through your whole thread, like your MK1, is it Gareths old car? Recognise the reg.

Lovin' it though, some nice details

Cheers mate

I got her off a guy called George who lives near st Neots. Was told a previous owner used to enter concours with her, maybe that was the guy you knew of

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Now that my MOT is coming to end, its time to tuck my golf away and get some work done over the winter months with intentions on her being back on the road around april.

Cut the lower section off the rear panel earlier today whilst i was up the unit helping my mate weld his own mk1. I drove it home after which was fun :D
I then stripped all the other bits off the rear, ready for more cutting as i have a genuine full rear panel to go on.

Also, I picked up an ABF engine a while back which i going to strip down, paint and rebuild.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
More cut out  :shock:

Going to wire wheel the joins so i can neatly pick the rest off. Nothing should be distorted then so things should work out nicely when i fit the new panel.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
seem to be cracking on well will the abf be running the r1 carbs ?

Back to the top

Dubwanabe said

seem to be cracking on well will the abf be running the r1 carbs ?

Yeah, going to swap the R1 carbs over unless i come by another set. Going to make the ABF a little more track friendly so i going to weld up a baffled sump, fit windage tray, mocal oil cooler, L+B flywheel. I'll rebuild the head like i did the last 1 thats on the 9A engine.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Done some more work on the golf today. Cut out the passenger rear arch and the poor previous repair on the the spare wheel well. Also got busy with the wire wheel and stripped back the sealer near where the new joins will be and also de-sealed the inner arch, just need to do the section where the shock sits.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Looking good mate! Cant wait till I have my own project :)

Back to the top
Got a little more done when i got home from work. Managed to cut in the new arch

Needs a little more work plus where it meets the sill needs sorting before i can tack it in place. Happy for now though

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
i wish i had the skills, ability and knowlege to do the stuff you are doing.  car will be nice when its back up and running!

Mk1GTi
Rallye Golf
Mk5 GTi
Mk7 GTD

Back to the top
It's all self taught buddy. You just live and learn as you go

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
ABF :D

Back to the top
Stumbled across a prob with the passenger arch not lining up at the back where the rear panel joins so rather than butcher it around, i'll see how the drivers side works out. Might be just cause they repro arches or maybe i just out slightly on my cutting in. I've welded up the spare wheel well with a cut out from another car and done some more de-sealing though.

Few pic's after moving around in the garage so i could get to the drivers side.

Couple of patches i'll be sorting on the quarter panel aswell.

All tucked away again til next time

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Drivers side arch on

Looks messy as you have to do spot welds to spread the heat and avoid distorting the panel. Ran out of gas so could'nt finish

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Received my replacement passenger arch earlier in the week so i got it tacked on yesterday. Much happier this time round.

Started having a play with a metal sump pan today. its going to replace the alloy one on the abf engine i have.

First up was to reinforce the bottom to give it a little more protection from the beating it gets on our roads. I made some templates to cover the areas you normally see scrapes on

Once tacked, i seam welded then ground down.

I only used sheet steel as i did'nt want to add too much to the depth of the engine. Can always replace these bits if they get fooked up.
Will probs get it powder coated soon.

Also started looking at baffling it. I cut some steel out using some rough templates from a mate.
Going to post up a pic on clubgti to see if they think it'll be good before i tack them in. Got a couple to do so i'll make my own templates to make it quicker next time round.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Great work mate just finishing mine off had an issue with my 9a bottom end gutted its running almost identical to yours, so have had to use my spare 1800 valver, got a quick question for you though how hot does your exhaust tunnel get, just got it running today and after letting it run almost burnt my hand on the tunnel inside the car any issues with yours?

Back to the top
Cheers mate. My golf has carpet in there so i could'nt tell ya if its hot enough to nearly burn my hand. It gets warm but its ok.

When me and my mate rolling roaded our mk1's with carbs, we had the exhaust glowing lol.

If its that hot, does'nt it mean your running lean?

07 Leon FR TDI daily

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.