Skip navigation

Mk1 golf gti, 2L 16v, R1 Carbs. Nurburgring Nordschleife

Back to the top

Mk1 golf gti, 2L 16v, OZ turbo's. R1 Carbs

Dubwanabe said

shame about getting the wrong carbs. at least u got everything sorted now

Yeah, just a bummer i paid out 170 odd quid on rolling roading to get the other carbs set up properly. Hoping to avoid that this time by copying over some of the settings then it just a case of balancing them.

Felt quicker on a test drive though

92 caddy, Now stripped for full rebuild
83 golf gti R1 carbed 16v(soon to have 1.8T)
07 Leon FR TDI daily

Cambridgeshire regional host

Back to the top
lovely car, was admiring it today at spring fest.  The wheels in particular look very very good!  Don't suppose you would pm some info on the dishes would you? really like the look of yours, and want something similar on my RS's.  Tried  Titanium touch, but they don't seem to have many 15" stainless dishes? thanks

Mk1GTi
Rallye Golf
Mk5 GTi
Mk7 GTD

Back to the top

smokeybubbles said

lovely car, was admiring it today at spring fest.  The wheels in particular look very very good!  Don't suppose you would pm some info on the dishes would you? really like the look of yours, and want something similar on my RS's.  Tried  Titanium touch, but they don't seem to have many 15" stainless dishes? thanks

Cheers buddy. Will be even nicer once i fully restore it. My caddy comes first though.

The wheels where originally ET33 as 7's. I then fitted 1.5 and 2in lips to make 7.5 and 8in wide wheels. I use a 5mm spacer on the rears so they all sit flush with the original gti wheel arches.

To work out what dishes/lips you want. Just fit a standard RS wheel on the car then measure from the edge to where you want it to sit out mate.

Get ya ass on fendubbers.co.uk aswell  :wink:

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Been doing a few bits here and there. Trying to iron out a few things before worthersee

Exhaust manifold had been knocking so i ended up grinding back part of the steering rack mount a little. Wire wheeled the area before sealing. I also put a small flat spot on the Manifold.

Got this little bag from UD11 for £15. Bargain

They all on now. Still a little knock which i bet is the ARB. Just need to rejig the system a bit.

Here's a rolling shot of my car on the way to Springfest

R1 carbs still not working 100%. Another rolling road sesh is needed me thinks.

Also picked this up last week

2L TSi. 210 model
DSG
Black heated leather
Upgraded ICE
2010 facelift additions

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top

caddyrage said

smokeybubbles said

Cheers buddy. Will be even nicer once i fully restore it. My caddy comes first though.

The wheels where originally ET33 as 7's. I then fitted 1.5 and 2in lips to make 7.5 and 8in wide wheels. I use a 5mm spacer on the rears so they all sit flush with the original gti wheel arches.

To work out what dishes/lips you want. Just fit a standard RS wheel on the car then measure from the edge to where you want it to sit out mate.

Get ya ass on fendubbers.co.uk aswell  :wink:

thanks for that, much appreciated.  just need to find somewhere that sell stainless ones at a reasonable price!  I will get on fendubbers when i get the chance.  By the way the Rocco looks great.  Love the candy white

Mk1GTi
Rallye Golf
Mk5 GTi
Mk7 GTD

Back to the top
amazing car - and great addittion at the end with the new toy!!!

Back to the top
Not been much to update really as i've been spending most my time tinkering with the carbs.

However, i've spent some of my long weekend tidying up the boot area.

First off, i wanted to hide the rear loom to the lights so it was'nt on the floor. I extended it around 6in and ran it through the nearside quarter panel area.

Then made a template using cardboard

Once happy, i then cut out some 6mm MDF with a hard rubber backing. I also made it so it folds over on one side so i dont have to remove the the strutbrace. Can be removed to gain access to the spare wheel well then  ;)

Here's a pic i took using my Iphone 4 which i quite liked

Not long til Worthersee trip now!!  8O

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Finally had my golf rolling roaded to have the carbs set up properly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU31POtInLg

Done by Peter baldwin in Wimpole near cambridge. He said it hit 200bhp. Me thinks his old skool rollers are a little optimistic though.

Enjoy!

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
that sounded wicked. loved how much the manifold glowed , did it melt ur rack haha. o and the road-o-matic...not just a clever name.

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top

boyle_sbd said

that sounded wicked. loved how much the manifold glowed , did it melt ur rack haha. o and the road-o-matic…not just a clever name.

You should've seen the downpipe lol

I covered the steering rack boot with aluminium plumbing tape to help protect it.

Proper old skool rollers mate  :D . The guy knows his stuff though

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
love this picture! such a nice golf you got there

Back to the top
Before i post up pic's of my road trip to worthersee

Here's a small update prior to what i did before

I decided to fit my guages so i could check on my engine whilst on the trip. Wires was already there under my dash for me to use so it did'nt take much time at all. Until the following day whilst driving out from work, i needed my lights due to the poo weather. Within a few seconds i smelt plastic burning then see my light switch set a light  :shock: . I quickly come to a stop and yanked my switch out to stop the dash going up. Just what i needed 2 days before trip.

As it looked like it was caused by the guages, i pulled all the fascia's off the dash to find some dodgy wiring. I cleaned it all up and tested with a new light switch. All worked fine.

Next job was to carpet my rear boarding

Then using some leatherette and thin foam. I covered the rear cards that i mounted my speakers in

Stickered up for the trip

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Few pic's from my trip to worthersee

28th may. Awaiting to get on the Ferry

We got VIP parking lol

Arrived at our hotel in nurburg at 8.15pm(there time). The track is just the otherside of the large marquee in the background  :)

Parked up in the pits after doing a lap

Some of the sights on the road to worthersee

I was pretty much the lead car for most of the convoy there so was quite funny to see to see my bug ridden car lol. 1 bug was that big that it was wedged in the grill haha

Washed our cars at my mates hotel which was nice of them

Velden shell garage

Up by the tower which looks over the lake. Seems like thats 1 of various meeting places for dubs

Parked up in reifnitz(31st may)

Left the cars at the hotel for the main show and got a speedboat taxi instead. Awesome

On our way back, we stopped in stuttgart to go to the porsche museum

Yes please

Next stop was leuven in belgium where the stella factory is

We had a brilliant night here. Belgium was playing Turkey on the outdoor screens plus there was fireworks and a circus act going. Great nights entertainment.

Back to crappy england where we stayed in a dump of a travellodge near Reading so we could make the Stonor Park show

2226 miles and approx £400 in fuel done in 8 days

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Wow - what an awesome trip!

I'd love to do that one day. Will probably be old and grey when the kids are old enough to stay at home 'cos they don't want to go in dads rusty, 40 yr old car!

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

Wow - what an awesome trip!

I'd love to do that one day. Will probably be old and grey when the kids are old enough to stay at home 'cos they don't want to go in dads rusty, 40 yr old car!

Get it done mate. You wont regret it

I've got the bug for it now and will definately be going next year. More days at the Ring though  :D

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
Whist at stonor show, i picked up another dash as mine had distorted, probs due to previous owners not fitting back all the screws to keep it straight.

Managed to haggle the dash down to a tenner then sold the chrome bits for £16 lol. Why thank you very much  :D

Whilst the dash was out, i thought i'd add some dynamat

After

I'll do the rest of the bulkhead when i need to take the carpet out.

New dash is in and back together  :)

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
alright mate hope you dont mind me asking, but where did you get and how much were your air filters? im just about to fit the same carbs to my abf cheers bud

Back to the top

herbiematt said

alright mate hope you dont mind me asking, but where did you get and how much were your air filters? im just about to fit the same carbs to my abf cheers bud

I just measured up the ports on the carbs then looked on K&N's website for the cone style filters. Once you found those that fit and work for you, note down the part number then search the web for them or order from a K&N retailer. Cost me just under £100 for the 4 mate.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

Back to the top
hi there love the car saw you an your convoy on your way to inters  iwas in a lay by(not broken )any how am just tryin to find out how far i need  front of the carbs away from the head am seeing lots of lenths on the web but none the same how far away have you gone .ta rob

Back to the top
Hey buddy. Yeah that was me that gave you a beep as we went past.

The carbs are 95mm from the head face to the ports on the carbs.

07 Leon FR TDI daily

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.