Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Edition 30 p12 (was 2008cc R1 bike carbs)

Back to the top

1983 Lhasa Green MK1 Golf GTI

With the sun out and better weather I have been able to remove the original gearshift mechanism and fit a newer cable change gear shifter. I kept the MK5 Golf GTI shifter from the donor car, but after a bit of investigation found a much newer and more compact shifter from a 2015 Polo GTI fitted well.

MK5 Golf GTI shifter on the left, Polo GTI shifter on the right.

Template cut in preparation to fit shifter.
After the tunnel had been carefully reshaped and mounting holes drilled, the new shifter fitted like a glove. The final job (and thank you to all the responses from the Facebook Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/mk1golfoc/) is to correctly route the cables into the engine bay.  

Back to the top
Two coats of POR15 base paint now complete in the engine bay.

Back to the top
Next job is to clean up the front panel. The original front panel was pretty much solid except for rust around the bonnet lock.

I've been putting this off sorting this out for many many years, so I've now bit the bullet and got stuck in. It was important to retain as much original bodywork as possible, so rather than replace the full front with an aftermarket panel, I opted to repair the damaged section.

Top sheet carefully cut away, and lower sheet cleaned up.

New repair section cut to size

The original panel section was used as a template to mark the holes on the new sheet.

Hopefully, I will get this finished and welded in place/spot welded this weekend. :thumbs: 

Back to the top
Chassis legs painted in two coats of POR15.

Back to the top
Further work complete on the new metal, ready for welding on this weekend.

Back to the top
Brake brackets now returned from being power coated. :)

Back to the top
Next job a quick coating of fresh paint in the engine bay :)The paint was ordered from Halfords, very pleased with colour match.

Again, a bit thank you to the members responding to my paint questions on FB. :thumbs:

Rest of car covered to avoid any over spray.

1st coat of paint..

2nd coat of paint with 2 coats of clear now applied. :)

Back to the top
Quick repaint of the engine bay now completed

Back to the top
Now fitment of the TFSI engine can now begin  :)

One small engine bay, one big turbo engine! Saying it is a tight fit is an understatement!!

Back to the top
Original front engine mount modified to allow use of new and larger starter motor bolts, as I will be using a 02J gearbox.

Back to the top
While the engine is being supported from the right hand side all three original engine mounts points used and bolted up to the engine and gearbox.

After much jigging about, the original front engine is fitted.

Heavy duty Epytec 02J mounts used for the gearbox.

Back to the top
Nice work buddy

Back to the top

nas said

Nice work buddy

Thanks nas.

Lots of stuff still to do, but slowly seeing progress now.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
I finally got round to completing the work on the front panel. Apart from the rust around the lock area, the original panel was still very solid, so rather than replace the whole front end, I just repaired the damaged section.

Rusty section cut out and new section made up

New section spot welded in place and smoothed off.

Then a quick coat of paint and lacquer.

Happy with the results, considering this was home DIY with a can of spray paint from Halford and a Dremel. :thumbs: 

Back to the top
While I had the welder and paint to hand, a MK5 Golf GTI TFSI engine mount was installed, and engine dropped back into engine bay.

Back to the top
Finally after spending many hours fine tuning the position of the engine and modifying the engine mounts to allow enough clearance on the both sides of the engine, as the bigger K04 turbo and charge pipe need more space than a standard K03/GTI TFSI engine, the engine is now bolted into the engine bay. :):):)

Next job, to fit the drive shafts and wiring..

Back to the top
Due to work, I've not made as much progress as hoped, but back on it now with sorting out the wiring.

MK1 Golf TFSI. How difficult can it be?   :lol:

Back to the top
Custom manifold needed using a full 3" downpipe.

When compared to the size of the OEM downpipe, this looks ridiculous.

Back to the top
Just love the looks of the OEM MK5 in a MK1 :wub:

Back to the top
That really is a lot of engine in a small bay, fair play to you as it certainly doesn't look like a straightforward job at all……as for the wiring….Jesus !!!

It will go like stink when its finished, would love a run in one of these to feel how quick they are on the road.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.