Skip navigation

MK1 Golf GTI 2.0 TFSI Edition 30 p12 (was 2008cc R1 bike carbs)

Back to the top

1983 Lhasa Green MK1 Golf GTI

It's MOT time and this will be the first time I've taken it for a MOT since completing the installation of the cage and four point harnesses:oTo be on the safe side I called the garage to confirm they we OK to MOT the car with a cage and harnesses.  'Yes' was a prompt reply.

And as long as I removed all trace of the standard seat belts they would only test the harnesses, otherwise they would also need to check the original seat belts and mounting points.:thumbs:

A couple of hours later, I received a phone call to say 'Your car is ready to pick up'.

Phew, all passed with NO advisories either. Is there a better feeling than this?!  :):):)  I was very happy indeed!

Back to the top
Another mk1 with a fresh mot, congratulations  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Now this is where things get interesting!

I'm confident with wielding a spanner, but electrics are another thing altogether.

With that in mind I have started the daunting process of upgrading the 8v OEM+ engine, with 30 years it's junior, high tech, complicated TFSI engine!

Front engine stripped down and engine out..

It's actually a pleasure to strip down this 2008 Golf GTI Edition 30.  The bolts in the engine bay were easy to access and remove and the engine dropped onto a pallet without much hassle. Probably took less time to get the complete engine out of this, than just taking an original exhaust manifold off a MK1 with those rusty arkward studs. (If you've removed a MK1 exhaust, you'll know what I mean).

Back to the top
Very carefully the ENTIRE wiring loom from the donor car has now been removed.

I'm pretty sure there is more wiring in just a MK5 door panel than there is in an entire MK1 Golf :lol::lol:O_oFirewall removed to allow removal of a uncut wiring loom.

It's been interesting process so far, just even figuring out what all these extra electrical parts do.

Canbus Module

ESP Sensor

Plus lots of other stuff including separate control modules for ABS, comfort module, xenon light sensors, etc etc.

The result THREE boxes full of wiring!! :o:o

This is going to keep me busy over Winter :):) 

Back to the top
My MK1 is now sorned and the removal of the original 8v is now underway!

Exhaust mid section disconnected, front anti-roll bar removed and lower strut brace remove to allow the exhaust manifold to be removed.

Wiring in engine bay now being disconnected. Working on a MK1 engine bay, especially with the k-jet fuel injection already removed and boxed up, is very much a therapeutic effect and weirdly enjoyable! :lol:

Back to the top
8v engine and gearbox now removed. Next task will be to pull back the original engine wiring loom and tidy up the engine bay prior to installation of the new engine :)

Back to the top
A bit more work today on removing parts from the engine bay.

Looks like I just found problem just in time :o:o:o

Back to the top
Tape measure has been out today to see what is needed to fit the TFSI engine mounting onto the chassis leg.

Back to the top
As the original engine is now removed from the car, one thing I never did prior to installation was to compare the valve sizes of my custom big valve head against a standard cylinder head.

The big valve head has 41mm inlet and 36mm exhaust values, pretty much the biggest you can fit without having a Eurospec head which has 42mm inlet valves. Bigger than a TSR Pack 'D' as these came with 40.5mm and 35mm exhaust valves.

Compared to a standard head with 40mm inlet and 33mm exhaust valves. Not the best of images, but you get the idea.

Big valve head

Standard 1.8 GTI 8v cylinder head

Big valve head

Standard head

Back to the top
A bit more prep work done before I can install the new engine mount.

Original engine mount spot welds drilled out.

And original engine mount removed and bracket put away some where safe (just in case I ever want to revert back to a OEM engine mount).

Unfortunately this uncovers more rust, so some additional prep work to this area will definitely be needed 

Back to the top
Headlamps and associated wiring now also removed.

Engine bay bodywork looks great condition for a 34 year old car. :thumbs:

However on closer inspection, there was rust appearing around some of the brackets. So spot weld drill bit out and further investigation shows this.
:o:o

All three spot welds removed.

The removed bracket looking this this.

Rust spot on panel

Hats off to everyone that have put in the effort to get their shells stripped and dipped. I assume dipping would remove and kill all rust in between any spot welded seams?

Back to the top
In between the prep work, the postman has been busy with lots of conversion parts getting delivered. Some extra special ones will be kept under wraps until later. :)Thanks to Mark from Classic-VW for sorting out these heavy duty Epytec 02J gearbox mounts.

Great quality and should cope well with the TFSI lump and gearbox.:thumbs:

Back to the top
I'm currently looking at gearbox options as the original gearbox will be unable to cope with the power increase.

Below are pictures of the 02Q 6 speed cable change gearbox removed from the MK5 Golf GTI Edition 30 and about 45kg in weight alongside a 5 speed MK4 Golf GTI 02J approx 38kg.

Second picture is comparison of 020 8v gearbox with 90mm drive flanges and the 5 speed MK4 Golf GTI 02J with 112mm drive flanges.
If I remember I'll also weigh the 020 gearbox too.

Back to the top
Just to make it easier to work in the engine bay, all the wiring has now been pulled back through the firewall into the car.
There is surprising very little wiring and only took 10 minutes to do.

This is first time since leaving the VW factory 34 years ago that the wiring has been disturbed.

Now compare the above to this, MK5 Golf GTI TFSI wiring :o

Back to the top
A couple more rust concealing brackets removed this morning:

Also found time to remove the brake bar and servo, with just a few small spots of rust to now deal with.

Next will be to remove the NOS genuine metal fuel lines. I managed to buy the very last UK available ones a while back, these run the full length of the car and were a pain to fit.

The original pipe will no longer be needed, as I'm planning to switch over to the MK5 TFSI fuel lines, so I can route these to the right hand side of the engine bay.

Back to the top
Lightened G60 solid flywheel arrived this week. Big thank you to Mart from GasNgears for the doing the work and fast turnaround. :thumbs:The original TFSI comes with a larger dual mass flywheel for the 02Q gearbox.

I will be switching to a 02J based gearbox, so a G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch is needed, which is lighter than the original dual mass flywheel. The lightened G60 one being a further 35% lighter too!

As they say - less is more :lol: 

Back to the top
Original Edition 30 Dual Mass flywheel now removed and G60 solid flywheel and VR6 pressure plate now in the process of installation.

Surprising the Dual Mass flywheel is not that much difference in weight to a standard G60 flywheel at 9.68kg. The lightweight one in the picture below is 6.2kg :thumbs:

Back to the top
Finally, genuine new G60 pressure plate bolts have been delivered. I wished I'd ordered these before Xmas, to avoid the delay over Xmas/New Year.

If you are using a G60 flywheel and VR6 pressure plate, these are the bolts you need. VW Part number is N101 0101 01. 

I can now finish installing the clutch and pressure plate.

Back to the top
Progress on prepping the engine bay has been very slow, but I have now picked up a set of late 100mm driveshafts to upgrade from the 90mm original items so that they will direct fit the newer 02j gearbox.

The 100mm shaft is on the left, 90mm on the right.

Back to the top
With the sun out and better weather I have been able to remove the original gearshift mechanism and fit a newer cable change gear shifter. I kept the MK5 Golf GTI shifter from the donor car, but after a bit of investigation found a much newer and more compact shifter from a 2015 Polo GTI fitted well. MK5 Golf GTI shifter on the left, Polo GTI shifter on the right. Template cut in preparation to fit shifter After the tunnel had been carefully reshaped and mounting holes drilled, the new shifter fitted like a glove. The final job (and thank you to all the responses from the Facebook Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/mk1golfoc/) is to correctly route the cables into the engine bay.  
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.