Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf 16v - Full Body Restoration - Insta chrisqgolf

Back to the top

Mk1 Golf Driver - 16V project

Do love L90E colour on Mk1s.Top stuff keep us Oldskool forum users updated👍

Last edit: by FXTURE

Back to the top
Lets update this thread a little.

I have always planned for a set of Mk2 Scirocco seats to go in the back of the mk1, give it that slightly more sporter look with more 'bucket' style seats over the flat bench seat in a standard Mk1. A couple years back I died a set of rear seats with fabric dye, it did well but couldnt get rid of the pattern and left the mertial slightly sticky and clumpy ( if that makes any sense). My parter makes leather bags and accessories, shes a very talented lady - so the conversation came up that we should reupholstery them. Bought some material from Martrim that I thought matched the Recaro fronts seats the cloest and we set about pulling apart another rear bench I had.

Finally finished the Rear hatch, after the first palaver of the rear hingle bolt hitting the tailgate and chipping the paint, it got taken off and up to Dave at Resto shack to respray. Once resprayed dave had issues with flatting it and resulted in us having to repaint it again. Tailgate from hell, but we finnaly got there and fitted the rear window decal, fitted the window and got it fitted back on the Mk1.

Then the front door wouldnt open… drove me insane! The little spring inside the door latch had snapped and got wedged behind the door release arm. Took alot of smacking, oscillating the door handle and finnaly after a number of hours it released itself. Genuine thought I was ducked on that for awhile. Moral of the story… change these bloody fragile springs, especially if you've had them plated. Think the chemicals of derusting the item killed the small gauge spring and snapped after being installed. I replaced the spring in both drivers and passengers door with a stainless steel equivalent and lots of white grease.

Dave from RestoShack did a checky little home visit and helped put the front and rear quarter windows in, A pillar trims and side decals on.

Which then inspired me to do the fuel filler neck decal  -

Then felt it was time to pull these out and get them fitted. I replaced the centre cap decal, took the awful carbon stickers off and put on some original style centre cap sticks on instead.

Then had a play with the suspension setup and put the plastic arches on also. Feel like I've got the rear down to a good height, but the fronts still needed some attention. The fronts are down as low as the BC coilovers will go, but its still not sat quite right. So I've order some smaller springs for the coilovers and we'll see if we can get it down a little further.

Then just a few items to get it read for an MOT. Cleaned and furnisher polished all the seat belts and got them fitted.

Battery mounted and secured down for the final time -

Both front driver and passenger seats now in for the final time -

Had a brake issue when I was at the rollers in Feb, tracked it down to some bad slider pins. Spent some time cleaning them up and regreasing… all working like a dream now.

I also have a stereo now and fitted my original single dash speaker -

Also picked up an ABF block to rebuild and replace with my KR at some stage -

Got my Golf Badge fitted

Also, i'll just leave these here :wub: I just couldnt resist buying them when these came up forsale locally.. next years wheels?

Back to the top
Come along way there chris ,Resto boyz do home Visit's😀..When its Mot'd i must have a looksie if you dont mind. :thumbs:

Back to the top
I've just found this build and it looks brilliant.

What paints did you use on the block and cylinder head?

80 Cabriolet GLi

Back to the top
that looks super clean and nice setup. I bet you cannot wait to drive this?

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

There are too many online users to list.