Skip navigation

Massbads GX - Up for sale again £2100

Back to the top
Thanks for your help, I will wait for my friends to come and get their thoughts on the potential leak or whatever's wrong with the non running :-(

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Thanks for your help, I will wait for my friends to come and get their thoughts on the potential leak or whatever's wrong with the non running :-(

No worries - I thought you were talking about an air leak but I see from glancing back at your pics above that there is some liquid on your manifold. A failed carburettor base gasket can cause air leaks which cause rough running, stalling, et - since the fuel/air mixture has been set by the carburettor, introducing extra air on its way to the cylinders will upset this balance. I don't think a failed base gasket could possibly produce liquid leaks like what you seem to have. If you think that the fuel is a vapour at this point as it passes from the carburettor to the inlet manifold, there is no way liquid fuel could run out from here even with a bad gasket.

Have you ascertained what that liquid is? (Run fingers in it and sniff!) If it's petrol, I'd say it is more likely to be coming from the top of the carburettor and running down and pooling there. A damaged float chamber or needle valve could cause petrol to spurt about all over the show (possibly why your air filter stunk of fuel too).

Also, I see there is a coolant hose already disconnected from the front of the carb - are you sure the 'leak' wasn't just drippage from here that is pooled in the recess in the manifold? Again, easy to tell what the liquid is with a quick sniff. But you may need to get it running to see if it's actually leaking or if something has just spilled there.

Back to the top
No the leak was there before I took off the hose, the leak looks oily rather than fuel, I will go and smell it.
I don't want to clean it off until my mates see it at the weekend.

Back to the top
have you checked see if it has points and condenser? mine was a A plate and had points,mine run poor when they were due to be changed,also the gap needs to be checked regular,yours may be electronic need to have a look,take the cap off and rotor arm and the plastic plate and you will see
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
The leak is thick black oily stuff ??

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Hmm, thick, black and oily. Sounds suspiciously like oil to me :-p

Seriously, though, if it is oil, it cannot possibly be leaking out of the carburettor. The only place I could think it could be coming from is the crankcase breather hose, and then dribbling down the carburettor from the air filter box.

There are a number of reasons why this could be happening. Never ignore the obvious - check the dipstick first - if it's been way overfilled this could account for it.

More likely, I should say (unfortunately) is worn/broken/seized piston rings. Have you done a compression test? How long has the car been out of use for? Sometimes if a car has stood for years the rings can seize. If the compression rings are knackered then compression can leak past the pistons and pressurize the crankcase. This excess crankcase pressure could be what is forcing the oil out.

Back to the top

campwitte said

Massbad69 said

Hmm, thick, black and oily. Sounds suspiciously like oil to me :-p

Seriously, though, if it is oil, it cannot possibly be leaking out of the carburettor. The only place I could think it could be coming from is the crankcase breather hose, and then dribbling down the carburettor from the air filter box.

There are a number of reasons why this could be happening. Never ignore the obvious - check the dipstick first - if it's been way overfilled this could account for it.

More likely, I should say (unfortunately) is worn/broken/seized piston rings. Have you done a compression test? How long has the car been out of use for? Sometimes if a car has stood for years the rings can seize. If the compression rings are knackered then compression can leak past the pistons and pressurize the crankcase. This excess crankcase pressure could be what is forcing the oil out.

Sounds great :-( and compression tests are way above me :-(

I will just need to wait and see what mates tell me first and then take it from there.

Thanks again I really appreciate it !!

Back to the top
The airbox is totally clean though, no oil or residue just usual dust.

Back to the top
And the breather pipe is clean too

Back to the top
Well I'm stumped! Fingers crossed your mates can help figure it all out. :-)

Back to the top
So thanks to all that have helped so far, this weekend I can fix a couple of things.

Put new swirl pot back in and reconnect the return fuel pipe.

Re route the vacuum pipe from dizzy to servo valve.

Re route a vacuum pipe from back of carb to airbox then second pipe from airbox to air intake so that the warm air valve will work and stop icing.

Then I will try to start it and see if it makes any difference.

Waiting for a list of stuff from Funk for a full service, fuel system change and coolant system change.

Bought a few wee bits incl new t shirt, stainless bolts for bonnet catch, fan cowling, battery clamp and radiator brackets with bolts. Also new countersunk screws for the filler neck, new arch spats with fixings, rear wiper blade, tank fishing magnets and silver orange bulbs.

Back to the top
nice tshirt :)

Banner

Back to the top
Small victories

Replaced the indicator relay and now they flash at the right speed, cheers Hairy :-)

Replaced the pedal rubbers.

Put a new accelerator grommet on for the one that had fallen out :-)

Its a war but I've won a battle 😉

Back to the top
There is also this cut off switch under the dash, should I remove it and if so do I just rip the wires out ??

Last edit: by Massbad69

Back to the top

jellybelly said

nice tshirt :)

It certainly is, I wonder who is behind them 😜

Back to the top
A couple if wee pics with my running and non running cars :-)

Back to the top
….thought it was always raining up norf  :ninja:
Bert

Back to the top

Bert said

Bert

It is in my head but thats just from the black cloud hanging over me, trying to get this car running  :lol:

Do you not fancy a nice weekend at my house, theres a few jobs that need done  ;)

Back to the top
I ordered the carb service kit, whether its needed just now or not.

Funk is just finalising the list for the fuel and cooling system, then I will hopefully get the parts next week.

1st question, can I just blow air through the fuel lines from the tank sender end, to check for blockages ?

2nd question, I dont have a compressor so could I use a tyre with a something attached or is that not high enough pressure ?

Cheers

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Bert said

Bert

It is in my head but thats just from the black cloud hanging over me, trying to get this car running  :lol:

Do you not fancy a nice weekend at my house, theres a few jobs that need done  ;)

just looked 303 miles each way 8-( 5.2 hrs drive,i could do it in 2.2 in the PD lol
Bert

There are too many online users to list.