Skip navigation

Mars Red Tintop @ VAGE 2017

Back to the top

jellybelly said

Looks really good mate :)

Thanks Mr Chairman.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Just a little update since March…

All the stickers for the engine bay are now in place.

A cool Bosch Alternator sticker.

Injector removal sticker

Fan one…

Finished look…

Since Dubshed I have changed the starter motor (pics to come) due to an unreliable sticky solenoid which received a few blows of the hammer…  :)

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Lovely work Hugh !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

Lovely work Hugh !!

Thanks Ade - should be fun trying to keep it clean!  :$

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Very nice indeed!  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Your engine and bay look amazing Hugh.  You must be well chuffed - top work.

Back to the top
is this the one coming to the AG hugh?

Banner

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Very nice indeed!  :cool:

Thanks Andy.  :)

watson said

Your engine and bay look amazing Hugh.  You must be well chuffed - top work.

Cheers Dave - yes pretty happy with it alright. It goes like a train. Really nice sound out of it…  ;)

jellybelly said

is this the one coming to the AG hugh?

It's booked on the boat since January so all going well it will be there. I have just bought a mk1 towbar in need of refurbishment so might be pulling a wee camping trailer - not for camping though.  :$  :$  :$

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Some pictures of the car after a detail to the paint and the interior…

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
This car just gets better & better Hugh 
Stunning …

91Jreg Sportline (now gone) For now 88 Ereg Mk2 16v (monza blue ) (now its gone too)Numerous mk1 tintops I  should never have sold 😰  Oh and a TDI  Touran as a daily ….latest toy mk5 Gti (showing my age) had to go serious money pit ,now cruising a Caddy Van

Back to the top
looks absolutely incredible shugly. very orinal looking, not sure if p-slots were an original option, but they look fantastc :thumbs:  and that interior is something else  :wub:  :wub:

matt

Back to the top
Great pics!! Are you going to fit the A-post trims?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

golfman16 said

This car just gets better & better Hugh 
Stunning …

Thanks golfman. Hope your not missing the mk1 scene too much.  ;)

pazwaa said

looks absolutely incredible shugly. very orinal looking, not sure if p-slots were an original option, but they look fantastc :thumbs:  and that interior is something else  :wub:  :wub:

matt

Thanks Matt. I had the tarantula alloys on but sold them to help fund with the engine update and seats. I like the p slots.  :thumbs:

Hairyarse said

Great pics!! Are you going to fit the A-post trims?

Yes Andy I plan to fit them when they come back to me. They are in the UK at present. I have two small blisters on the drivers side pillar I might get touched up first before I fit them.  :)

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
the 8v isn't generally a pretty engine but that looks great good work be a shame to get it dirty now
Luke

Back to the top

Luke s said

the 8v isn't generally a pretty engine but that looks great good work be a shame to get it dirty now
Luke

Thanks Luke. I haven't been out in it too much as the weather here has been awful last couple of weeks. Rain rain and more rain… Our biggest Ireland Mk1 meet in next weekend some hopefully make that. Being honest I have it done now (it's out of my system) and if it gets dirty it gets dirty.  :)

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
With the new engine in and running well - I encountered a small starter motor issue. It was a sticky solenoid on the original starter motor (as diagnosed by Paul). I changed the ignition switch as I thought it was at fault but a couple of slaps to the solenoid and it would start. It progressively got worse.

I bought a re manufactured Bosch one on German eBay from a reliable seller whom I had purchased from before. Same part number.

It came painted black with a Bosch sticker on it so peeled it off, masked it up and a few coats of Aluminium paint to finish!

The aluminium paint is a breeze to work with. Gives an nice even coat and very quick to dry.

Few coats of lacquer and leave to dry overnight. Fitted and works superbly - good for another 100,000 Miles!  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top

Shughy said

Luke s said

Luke

Thanks Luke. I haven't been out in it too much as the weather here has been awful last couple of weeks. Rain rain and more rain… Our biggest Ireland Mk1 meet in next weekend some hopefully make that. Being honest I have it done now (it's out of my system) and if it gets dirty it gets dirty.  :)

I suppose that's the way it has to be otherwise we'd all build mint cars and never drive them and that's what they were built for I never did understand trailoring cars to shows

Back to the top
Just a little update…

Picked up this at the Limerick Show last weekend - a first in the Mk1 Golf category.  :$

Managed to get my towbar on and all wired up so brought my little camping trailer to offload some of the boxes of mk1 parts I have - some stuff went other I'll have to wait till later in the year. Considering bringing the trailer to Uttoxeter.  ;)

A great day out and even managed a bit of sunburn from the wind there. Some more Limerick pics up in the Show and Event section.  :cool:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Congrats Hugh totally deserved 👍😊

Back to the top
I'll say it again "stunning" congratsHugh on the award , Gona take some car to beat yours this year 

91Jreg Sportline (now gone) For now 88 Ereg Mk2 16v (monza blue ) (now its gone too)Numerous mk1 tintops I  should never have sold 😰  Oh and a TDI  Touran as a daily ….latest toy mk5 Gti (showing my age) had to go serious money pit ,now cruising a Caddy Van
There are too many online users to list.