Mars red Series 1 Mk1 golf Driver G60

Back to the top

golf1980's 1980 golf driver G60

jellybelly said

diesel?
 No sorry jelly. Not going diesel.

Back to the top

tidymike said

Surely it would be easier to fix the G60 rather than starting over? You were pretty much there with it before the cam timing slipped and G60s are the best.

What work does it need? Top end rebuild or more serious? Sorry haven't seen any of your fbook posts.

If you are going diesel, I have to say I was impressed by the PD conversion one of the Berks group has done. I could only just keep up with it on the M3 slip road and I bet it's a sight more economical than mine!
It's a huge amount of work though.

PD engines are very good but not for me. Engines like that are more suited to heavier cars I think?

I do love the g60. It goes really well on the vary rare occasions that it isn't broken or being run in. I haven't looked at the damage yet. Lost motivation all together. For all I know, I could have been lucky and there is no damage at all? Just fit the standard cam pulley an away I go. 
Just remembered I have to re do the wiring loom. Where the dude has put it in the wing, it has been rubbing on my wheel and worn through. Wires exposed. 
I should have just done everything myself. So many little things in the car that frustrate me and could be done so much better.

To be honest, I have always thought putting a big block in has ruined the car. It doesn't handle as well and the sump is too low. The 1272 was so thrashable and light.
as I get older and more boring, I can't help but love the more original than the modified cars. A mk1 golf driver should be a small engined car.
I had thoughts of the conversion I'm thinking of before I did the g60 but I was pursuaded not to do it. 
I still have never seen one done. 

Also, my b2 passat would be a lot more fun with a g60 in it :D

It is only an idea at the moment
though. I probably won't go ahead with it.

Back to the top
Any clues on engine bud? Afh? G40?

Back to the top
I was thinking a 1.4tsi from a mk7? There is one for sale on another forum. Now I'm thinking just fix the g60 an spend my money on my b2s. I keep changing my mind!!! Lol

Back to the top
One things for sure, you need to pull your finger out and get the head off  !!!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Haha yes I do! I've been working on the Santana. It has been off the road for a while. Mot tomorrow! :)

Back to the top
i'd keep the g60 bud, suits the car more.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Yeah more oldschool ay? I just like the idea of small, light, reliable, low tax and a seldom seen conversion  :lol:

Back to the top
Sticking with the g60. Made my mind up.

Made this the other day. I don't think I'll fit it. It isn't that good really. I'm making a better mould to see if I can make more.

Back to the top
A good 20 pages, loving the car; it looks pretty much how I want mine (apart from mine being an S2).

Youre right about the PD; it is a bit big and heavy, especially with the 6sp box. Goes really well though and I love the fact that I'm averaging 53mpg.

Mine still needs a lot of work to get it fully sorted like yours; mainly suspension setup, wheel choice, some tidying on the bodywork side and the TT dash conversion.

How do you find the ride on the adjustable top mounts? Are they harsh at all? Ideally I need some as I have lost the camber adjustment on the struts (mk4 struts). 

The Red Rocket! My Mk1 Tdi Build.....

My VAG family:

1982 Mk1, PD130 Tdi, 6 speed, ongoing project, to be my daily driver (one day)!
1983 Mk1, 1.8 Gti, stripped out, ongoing project, track car only.
1990 Mk1 Cabrio, 1.8 8v Turbo, G60 ECU, long term project (17 years so far)!
2008 T5 LWB, 1.9 Tdi, to be converted to camper when I've finished using it as a van!
1999 Audi A4 Avant Quattro, 2.5 Tdi, currently off the road, more work required.
2010 Tiguan R-Line, daily driver. 

Back to the top
Thanks for looking through 20 pages kev!!

I didn't mean the pd is heavy. To be honest I have no idea on the weight. For some reason I have it in my head that Diesel engines are better suited to heavier cars due to all the torque. Seems wasted on a light car like a mk1? 

As for the ride, I love it. So smooth with the h&rs even with the solid top mounts. I had Jom coilovers before on febi/bilstein top mounts and it near enough shook me to bits. The roads around here are very bad. As in they have been on the national news as an example of poor roads and it meant that I didn't enjoy driving. The new coilovers made a huge difference. I probably ran it too low on the 15s which is why I cracked a sump but on the 16s, it was just about manageable. The top mounts are really good quality and have lots of adjustment available :)

Rich

Back to the top
Just read through your thread,guttedfor you all the problems you've had but it's a great looking car and credit to you for always pushing on and getting it sorted!!

Back to the top
Thanks for looking through the whole thread panch. I have to admit, this last set back has put me off a fair bit. Just seems like one step forward, two steps back :(

Back to the top

Back to the top
We need pictures of the bay with the head removed !!

It could be a really quick fix :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

We need pictures of the bay with the head removed !!

It could be a really quick fix :-)

:D haha true. I'll get on it when I get some space in my unit. I hope it is a quick fix! It would be so good to drive it again!! Poor old golf :(

Back to the top
Get her fixed, this car is far too good not be driving around  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks Matt :) there should be some space in my unit soon so I can crack on with it :)

Back to the top
I've been playing on Howmanyleft.co.uk and according to that, my currently sorned 1980 golf driver is quite a rare example? :)

The last of its kind in the country? Who knows?  No proper progress with the car to report :(

Back to the top
Its not really a driver any more with all the mods though.

Put it back to standard driver spec - then it'd be rare:thumbs:
There are too many online users to list.