Skip navigation

Joe90k's Rising Blue 1.8t - BBT K300 IE Rods Custom Interior

Back to the top

Joe90k's Mk1 GTi 20v Turbo

tidymike said

Wow - you didn't waste your time getting them fitted!

I only saw your other post about kWs this morning and was about to reply - I run v2s at a similar height but on their softest setting and really like them. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Make sure you get your camber and tracking reset - mine was miles out after swapping the coilies over and getting it put right made it drive like a different car!
Only got one fitted so far Mike lol I started at 9:00pm last night, will get the rest fitted after work this eve. They seem much more progressive than the JOM's just from compressing them with my weight over the front wings. The difference is impressive! Cheap coil overs are good for people who want cheap ride height adjustability I suppose, they were fine until there was a big dip in the road when they would send you flying as you went over it like a jump lol

I had the tracking done previously but I will be getting it done again, the camber is pretty much fixed, if I have any less on the eccentric bolt it will touch the coil over adjuster, at the moment there is roughly 8mm of clearance. It makes a big difference though as you say, made the front end much more positive before!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Can't go wrong with a set of KW's Joe. Sounds like you got them cheap as well mate.

Belated Birthday wishes as well btw :)

Smudger

Back to the top

smudger said

Can't go wrong with a set of KW's Joe. Sounds like you got them cheap as well mate.

Belated Birthday wishes as well btw :)

Smudger

Cheers mate! Right place right time I think lol

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Jammy git ;)

Was gonna go for them before I went for my Gaz ones

Back to the top
It's been a while, things have happened slowly over the last few months, I have been busy ripping apart my new house and sorting it by redecorating from top to bottom, fitting new carpet/flooring throughout and fitting out three bathrooms as well as lots of other general DIY jobs. Anyway its coming to an end now so I can get more focused on getting this finished! I started to take the engine out, she's currently in my garage on ramps with most of the engine 90% ready to be removed

I am removing the engine for two reasons, the mounts I bought from CQ are going rusty

I'm sure they were powder coated poorly as the replacements they sent me have a much better quality finish, so don't be put off of the CQ mounts. These were purchased around 2 years ago and the latest versions are much better as I said, with no hassle at all from CQ swapping them either! :thumbs: The other reason is that the new cam belt side mount sits lower to prevent the bonnet touching the inlet manifold. The second reason is this…

A Beach Buggy Turbos K250 and I must say it is a thing of beauty. I am however currently unsure of if I should swap the K250 for a K280 as I think the extra 30bhp might be worth it. Most K250's hit 260bhp with the right mods anyway so I'm really not sure. I have also bought a set of Saab Red Top 350cc injectors to cater for the increase in boost. Should be interesting when it's all fitted it will be going to Bill at Badger5 to be mapped hopefully late next month before it goes to Retro Retrims to have the interior sorted.

I am also going to fit a VAG steel shallow sump once the engine is out so I can lower the car more as I had a lot of close calls when it was on the JOM's with the cast ally stock sump. Apart from that the bay needs a general clean up and theres a few things I'm not happy with so it will be good to get them sorted.

More the come soon!

Last edit: by Joe90k

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Awesome looking turbo Joe, that's going to throw you down the road like a Motherf^c&er  :lol: . :lol:

Back to the top

smudger said

Awesome looking turbo Joe, that's going to throw you down the road like a Motherf^c&er  :lol: . :lol:

Cheers mate, booked in with Badger5 now, this is gonna be fun  :cool:

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
like the look of that turbo, will be interested to see your results.

the steel sump would give you 10mm more, but piece of mind about hitting stuff as it will take the knock.

Back to the top
where you getting your steel sump from?

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top

dik-van-dub said

where you getting your steel sump from?

Work mate, although even with staff discount it is still more than the kit you can buy that's already drilled from Awesome by PSI! Why do you ask? 

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
just doing my research for my 20v conversion and adding parts to my shopping list lol

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top
Update time… The engine was stripped down, turbo and manifold removed, manifold sent to Bill at Badger 5 for porting only to find it was cracked too badly to be ported, luckily a Facebook post later on Badger 5's FB page and I had three offers of uncracked manifolds! One was sent to Bill and he is porting it for me.

I have decided that I am sending the K250 back in exchange for the K300 and Bill is going to map it conservatively to within the limits of the stock con-rods. This means that if I decide to rebuild the engine with forged rods, a simple map will see 300bhp+. Seemed a no brainer to me as I have all the other supporting mods apart from the VR6 MAF housing which I am still on the hunt for.

Because of this and the fact that I have had the car booked in with Retro Retrims for the last year or so, the stock turbo and injectors are going back on so I can get it up there in time. In the meantime the K300 should be delivered to me, ready for it to be fitted and then mapped  when it has been trimmed. Then it will be ready for the summer! :ninja:Turbo off ready for engine to be dropped and mounts changed

Dropped to the floor to change the mounts

And back in ready for the rebuild this week and next weekend

A new polished upper front strut brace and new driveshafts, the old set were fine, but after blowing one of the CV joints last year, splitting the boot at the same time, I had replaced the joint but not the boot and obviously it needs to be done for MOT. Rather than paying for four new joints and boots I decided I would just change both driveshafts for new ones.

I painted the mounts and tidied the bay up ready for a few changes to pipework runs and general cleaning.

More to come!  :thumbs:

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
This loks awsome.   Wish I had done a project thead for mine.   Need to see this car in person for some ideas and tips.  

Back to the top
Excellent choice on the bbt  :thumbs:

I'm oartial to a bbt and a bit of sprint blue myself  :lol:

Back to the top
Some updates… MOT passed with no probe apart from slight play in the lower ball joints as an advisory, bought some Febi items to cure that. I'm going to fit stainless braided teflon brake lines front to back to replace the kunifer

Coolant pipework being routed, new 304 braided coolant hose, matching finishers and silicone hoses…

Done and all pipework and wiring routed back properly

Sump off

Steel VAG shallow sump from ECS back on

Front upper strut brace fitted

Wodden paneling everywhere and boot build with 12" JL Audio 12W3v3 in an 18mm box sitting in the spare wheel well

Door cards finished with aluminium grab handles, some trimsport bits and JL Audio C5's

Then today its gone to Chris at Retro Retrims to be finished, I'm very excited thats all I'm going to say for now! He's got a big blank canvas and I'm sure based on his work and enthusiasm he will do something really special. Hopefully a few weeks and it will be collected ready for the summer! :thumbs: Some pics on the way up there

No probs the whole way, was a nice drive, mostly sun with a couple of showers towards the end. Was nice to finally meet Chris too, I have been speaking to him on Facebook for long enough!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Really nice engine Bay mate, I may be asking a few questions on how you've gone about things when I get to that stage if ya don't mind ,

Back to the top

Neil20vt said

Really nice engine Bay mate, I may be asking a few questions on how you've gone about things when I get to that stage if ya don't mind ,

Of course mate happy to help :thumbs:

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Double Post!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Bet you cant wait to get it back from the trimmers mate, its looking so good !

What are you BBS 6.5J and what tyre size are you running 195 50 15?

Cheers

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top

richyhill said

Bet you cant wait to get it back from the trimmers mate, its looking so good !

What are you BBS 6.5J and what tyre size are you running 195 50 15?

Cheers

Rich

Thanks a lot Rich, its getting there slowly, theres a few bits that I still need to sort but the light is definitely at the end of the tunnel! I can't wait to use it over the summer, having the interior done will make all the difference. I was going to head to the Bristol meet next friday but I haven't got the car, so will be at the next one. I'v never been to any meets or shows with my own car, so should be fun.

As for wheels, yeah they are 6.5J (0.5" lips) and 195 50 15 no issues with rubbing etc.

:thumbs:

Joe

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.