Skip navigation

G60 Conversion

Back to the top

RichG said

pazwaa said

Possibly a daft question, but what is a fluid damper?  O_o

Matt

Good question :)

On the crank of a G60 there is a harmonic damper which balances out the crank and reduces vibrations and resonance from the G60 supercharger.

I couldn't rescue mine so fitted an alloy pulley from Bartek. I've heard that in the long run this may cause stress on the crank.

The fluid damper is a pulley with an inertia ring inside surrounded by silicone fluid and laser welded shut. When the engine is rotating the interia ring helps balance out the vibration o the crank assembly.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Thanks rich  :thumbs:  all clever stuff.

Back to the top
Been busy tweaking and fettling :)I have fitted my fluid dampr now and very impressed with how smooth the engine feels. Removed the crank bolt easily with the VW tool :)literally undone with one swing of my bar.

The reduction in vibration is dramatic, hardly anything at all now with genuine mounts all round.

I got busy making up my supercharger bypass pipe, I couldn't fit my bartek kit as the radiator is very close to the boost return outlet. I bought a metre of stainless 1.5mm 40mm pipe and I had some 3mm stainless plate. I used the blanking plate I had as a template and cut the same in the 3mm plate, hard work on stainless this thick :lol: gallery_23668_406_41424.jpg gallery_23668_406_118694.jpg
I carefully cut the stainless pipe at an angle that would clear the radiator, pretty much as extreme as I could make it without it overlapping the plate. I then stainless mig welded it in place and a local engineers firm tig welded it for me.

Check out how close it is to the radiator :o but does the job and reduces the engine noise dramatically.
gallery_23668_406_3761.jpg

Oh and sorted out a gearbox :)Needs a jolly good clean :) gallery_23668_406_12111.jpg gallery_23668_406_200414.jpg gallery_23668_406_258001.jpg

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
blimey theres a few pipes in that engine bay :lol:

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

blimey theres a few pipes in that engine bay :lol:

Yeah I know what your saying lol, the g60 was never a pretty engine bay and with the boost pipe system going back to standard with uprated gear it takes up a lot of space.

Definitely opportunities to reroute and tidy up in the future  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Does anyone know if I'm missing something on my gearbox where the speedo cable goes? On my 02j box I had a threaded part I could attach a 1.3litre cable but not sure about this one.

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
CTN box. Is that the one from a Mk3 diesel? I've gone with an ASD but I think the CTN is meant to have slightly better ratios.

Your missing the speedo sensor (like the one shown in the link). If you have one of those you unscrew the electrical connector off the top and the cable screws on in its place

http://www.corrado-club.ca/mods/tranny_fluid_change.html

Back to the top

MR_LONG said

CTN box. Is that the one from a Mk3 diesel? I've gone with an ASD but I think the CTN is meant to have slightly better ratios.

Your missing the speedo sensor (like the one shown in the link). If you have one of those you unscrew the electrical connector off the top and the cable screws on in its place

http://www.corrado-club.ca/mods/tranny_fluid_change.html

Yes that's right from a diesel. Managed to get it for a good price without scene tax :)

Thanks for the link. I will get one of those. Might even have one spare in my CDA 02 box.

I want to make sure this box doesn't shed its paint after 5 mins. Last box I cleaned pretty well and acid etch primed it, then aluminium coloured paint. 

Perhaps the paint was the problem. I did the rocker cover and inlet manifold the same way but with vw reflex silver and that's holding up.

Anyone have any tips on this?

Back to the top
Nice work on the charger boost return pipe! Do you think there will be any issues with contact between the pipe and radiator due to engine movement?
  I've been thinking about doing the same on mine but I've probably got less space than you :/.

Back to the top

daniboy123 said

Nice work on the charger boost return pipe! Do you think there will be any issues with contact between the pipe and radiator due to engine movement?
  I've been thinking about doing the same on mine but I've probably got less space than you :/.

Hi Chap,

I rev'd the engine a few times and it rocks backwards towards the windscreen away from the radiator The pipe does have a slight notch in it which is under the silicon pipe so it's more forgiving.

I can now hear the fuel pump under the rear bench now its quieter :) Might need to quieten that down :lol:

Back to the top
Very nice mate love the work you've put into it liking ya bypass pipe I'm planning on doing the same but in ally 

Back to the top

Be here now said

Very nice mate love the work you've put into it liking ya bypass pipe I'm planning on doing the same but in ally 

Cheers chap, the main boost return pipe is alloy. The charger section is only 4 inches long and I chose stainless because if I used alloy the outlet plate would need to be at least 10mm thick to not distort with the heat welding.

I only had a gap of 35mm so stainless was a no brainer :) as I could have a smaller outlet plate of 3mm.

Back to the top
Had a bit of time to sort out the remaining boost system.

I've plumbed in the ISV and removed the filter so it's now back to stock:
gallery_23668_406_86219.jpg gallery_23668_406_107025.jpg gallery_23668_406_705420.jpg

I also ported my custom boost return outlet as I thought it might be a bit restrictive.

Before:
gallery_23668_406_41424.jpg
After:
gallery_23668_406_79815.jpg gallery_23668_406_84135.jpg gallery_23668_406_88127.jpg gallery_23668_406_131618.jpg gallery_23668_406_189887.jpg gallery_23668_406_192587.jpg

Back to the top
Hmmm which alloys should I get refurbished? Garage is a bit over run with them at the mo!

Le Castellet's with alloy centres polished up?
gallery_23668_406_97771.jpg gallery_23668_406_295013.jpg

Or BBS Sebring alloys in anthracite?
gallery_23668_406_82961.jpg gallery_23668_406_195902.jpg

Back to the top
Hi Rich, pic links are currently broken, but anthracite Sebrings get my vote!  :) 

Back to the top
Some rubbish photoshops:
gallery_23668_406_793705.png

Sebring's in standard silver (couldn't tint them anthracite for some reason)
gallery_23668_406_561320.png

Back to the top
Or leave it alone:
gallery_23668_406_222734 (1).jpg

Back to the top
Leave it alone  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Agree, leave it alone! Pete.

2 tintops.
3 cabbies, 1 with G60 power, just for fun.
Volvo T5, just for fun.
3.1Ltr V6 Dutton Leggera, just for fun.
Renault 5 GT Turbo, just a money pit!
Several boring cars, just no fun!

Back to the top
Leave alone! If you fancy a change then anthracite sebrings but definitely not the chrome Le crapdalettes!! lol

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
There are too many online users to list.