Skip navigation

G60 Conversion

Back to the top

daniboy123 said

Looking good! Good luck with mot, what's the unusual shape in your throttle body?

Cheers bud, I think there is an airway from one of the external barbs which would have gone to the carbon canister. Looking on google it seems most late g60's have this.

Back to the top
If anyone wants any inspiration on where to mount an ecu other than the scuttle panel, this is what I did.

I cut the existing ecu bracket down to size and used a mounting hole on the fuse box holder, there is a hole in the sheet metal to use in the bottom right-hand corner. Also I used the bolt where the brake servo reinforcement bracket is located. I wanted to mount my relays in special relay holders mounted to the metal strip but unfortunately my spade terminals didn't have latches and didn't fancy re doing them before the MOT so just cable tied them. When the under tray is fitted the ecu can't be seen :) gallery_23668_406_136403.jpg gallery_23668_406_326212.jpg gallery_23668_406_675034.jpg gallery_23668_406_735304.jpg

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
Looks a tidy install Rich and easy to get to  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
OK good news and bad news :)Good news is that the motor absolutely flys  :lol:Bad news is that the car failed it's MOT :(But….

3 of the 4 items passed it's last MOT :lol:1.) Wrong size font on front number plate. These were plates fitted prior to my ownership and I was dubious about them when I bought the car but apparently it passed with them on. Failed at my MOT station. Easy fix though.

2.) Someone had fitted the castle nuts on the tie rod ends without split pins. Looking at the threads there are no holes to accommodate them so can fit nylock nuts instead.

3.) Front headlights don't produce UK approved pattern. Passed last MOT alledgedly. 2 new Hella headlights ordered from Mark at classic vw ;)4.) Oh and last thing the inline brake switch is leaking fluid but easy enough to sort.

So all in all not too bad and what a day for it's MOT, lovely down in the west country today.:wub:

Back to the top
Good news there, seems an easy fix for those problems just a little more ££s to spend on the car…
A sunny day and some lovely roads where you live, I bet you had a huge grin on your face.:thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I like what you've done with the ECU. Mines just hanging in the same place at the moment using a couple of cable ties but I might look into something the same.

How've wired it in? Have you used a seperate relay for the ECU and fuel pump?

Back to the top

MR_LONG said

I like what you've done with the ECU. Mines just hanging in the same place at the moment using a couple of cable ties but I might look into something the same.

How've wired it in? Have you used a seperate relay for the ECU and fuel pump?
Thanks chap, in the end I bought one of James G60 looms and swapped my connectors over. It meant I have a brand new loom separate from the fuse box to a certain extent with 2 relays for the fuel pump and ecu. James even made it longer for me so I could put the ecu in the cabin :)

Back to the top
Love a mk1 with a G60
Awesome work

Back to the top
Cracking car mate I'm doing a g60 at the mo love the sound off them nothing like it 
Loving the work you've put in 

Back to the top
Finally good news.
Car has passed it's MOT with no advisories :party:I'd like to thank everyone that has helped me with my project especially rubjonny for his expert knowledge and patience ;)

Got a few goodies to fit now :)

Carbon scuttle panel and alloy fuel filler cap then on to gauges and stereo.

Back to the top
Congratulations on the mot. Lovely looking car  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Congratulations on the mot. Lovely looking car  :thumbs:

Matt

Cheers Matt,

Just finishing a few small jobs now. I have routed my boost gauge pipe and loom for the oil pressure and temp gauge.

Also need to tidy the fan loom. Will remake it with snake skin and make it less visible.

Back to the top
Just on a side note. How much vibration do people get with a G60 engine in a mk1. At idle I find it slightly excessive lol. The dash is vibrating etc.

I have standard side mounts and powerflex gearbox and dome mounts. I have OEM ones I will try.

Back to the top
try a standard rear mount, these tend to be bad for transferring vibration if you go poly here. the front one is ok as poly I found on my 16v

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Morning John,

going to swap it over this morning.

Cheers :)

Back to the top
The car seems much better after replacing the rear bush. Going to change the front as well this week.

Took her out to get some fuel, first real outing since MOT :)

I'm really happy. The brakes feel great and very effective, the KW suspension is perfect :) not harsh at all. I think they feel better than my wifes Meriva lol.

Only observation was at 70 I was doing 3000rpm and it's quite noisy lol

With the boost return off theres quite a lot of noise in the cabin. Going to see if I can relocate the radiator slightly and fit the boost return.

But overall very happy :)

Back to the top
Yey and ney

I've found my funny noise, it's the throttle body. When the boost return is fitted the noise goes. I think that by blanking off the carbon canister outlets its causing a whistle across the blanked outlets.

Bad news is I can't remove my crank bolt lol.

I ordered a fluid damper from Bartek to replace my alloy crank pulley as I was advised that this may cause long term issues. In order to fit it you need to remove the stock crank gear and replace it with Bartek's and then the fluid damper on the top.

I was there with my impact driver rated at 450nm and the bolt wouldn't shift. The car was in gear with someone on the brake and a big bar on the hub nut but still wouldn't budge!

I have a new timing belt now and have ordered the genuine VW tool T3099 to lock the crank properly and try again. If that fails I will apply some heat to the bolt heat which should make it move.

I shouldn't of tightened it so much in the first place :lol:

Back to the top
courtesy of HRT and they even threw in a twix lol

gallery_23668_406_28162.jpg gallery_23668_406_118631.jpg
and fluid damper:
gallery_23668_406_210817.jpg
gallery_23668_406_81840.jpg gallery_23668_406_121638.jpg gallery_23668_406_166433.jpg  

Back to the top
Possibly a daft question, but what is a fluid damper?  O_o

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Possibly a daft question, but what is a fluid damper?  O_o

Matt

Good question :)

On the crank of a G60 there is a harmonic damper which balances out the crank and reduces vibrations and resonance caused by the g60 charger. I couldn't rescue mine so fitted an alloy pulley from Bartek. I've heard that in the long run this may cause stress on the crank.

The fluid damper is a pulley with an inertia ring inside surrounded by silicone fluid and laser welded shut. When the engine is rotating the interia ring helps balance out the vibration to the crank assembly.  :thumbs:

There are too many online users to list.