Skip navigation

G60 Conversion

Back to the top
Legend I'll check tonight :).

Is g5 OK as a cranking live for the relays? 

I suspect there is no fuse as it was run on carbs before

Back to the top
The fuel pump running constantly. What do you think could be causing this?

Back to the top
Is this because maybe the ecu isn't on to tell it to stop?

Back to the top
Checked a picture I had of the fuse box and there are fuses in 17 and 18. Surely the fuel pumps wouldn't turn on if there was a problem here as the fuel pump relay is coming on and the ECU relay shares the same power and live feed.

Back to the top
cranking live is only live when the engine is cranking over, so that one needs to go to c/18 or starter. ignition live is live all the time the ignition is on, and this is what the relays need ;)

as for the fuel issue it could be wiring or relay issue, or a bad ecu perhaps.

the above could be related to the fuel issue or not so we need to check a few things over such as checking the rail has power when the pump is on tfor starters, then we can work from here.

you would want to make sure the ecu is getting power too, could be we have 2 issues that are seperate ecu not powering so no injector firte plus issue with the fuel relay wiring making it come on all the time with ignition rather than only triggered by ecu

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I hope its not the ECU :(.

I will give it a listen tonight.

Thanks John :)

Back to the top
Ok well great news the engine works :)I still have the fuel pump constantly on when the ignition is on but I have private messaged John about that ;)Here is a vid :)- YouTube

I'm a little confused about the shrill noise coming from around the throttle body. Is this normal, can another G60 owner comment?

Rich

Back to the top
I've got to the bottom of the fuel pump constantly on issue.

The ecu and fuel pump relay and ecu pin1 feed were combined and connected to a constant live when in fact the ecu pin 1 should get cranking power only.

I have wired the ecu pin 1 to c/18 and relays to g5 constant live and now it primes properly :)

At the weekend I will do another video. Just finishing off the dials and tidying the wiring loom.

Back to the top
Glad you got that sorted, look forward to another vid. Nearly there now!!

Back to the top
Another video, excuse the sound quality it's much better in real life!

Set the car back to tdc as need to adjust the throttle cable as it's a bit slack and gave me the fright of my life when setting it up last as the pedal stuck down!
Got a genuine fuel relay wired in now :).

Need to get some brake fluid in and adjust the gear cable as reverse has disappeared :lol:Are the butterfly flaps on the throttle body known to vibrate? I believe that is the origin of the shrill sound.

- YouTube

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
Sounds nice Rich  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Sounds good man! Steady as a rock as well :cool:

Back to the top
I can't believe my last update was in November ha ha

I've been busy sorting out a few last minute tweaks, can't find that elusive noise though. Dad and I have searched high and low. Took the aux belt off to eliminate the charger, water pump, tensioners and alternator and the sound is still there. I have also re seated the inlet and exhaust manifold and no change.

The sound remains the same pitch and disappears at 2000 rpm+. I'm going to ask the garage to have a quick listen when I book the MOT.

Well DVLA have been kind to me and the car is now a 1.8 :). Hopefully MOT next Wednesday!

Anyway some pics, was pretty sure this was the cause of my noise, can't believe I didn't notice when first fitted.

Can you see the problem lol

First gasket left I bought and new one made on right:
gallery_23668_406_170199.jpg
Throttle body:
gallery_23668_406_14979.jpg

Made up a custom stainless bracket to hold my washer bottle using the existing mount :)  gallery_23668_406_208426.jpg
Oh and a cheeky horn snuck in:
gallery_23668_406_23631.jpg
Oh and the car out for a clean:
gallery_23668_406_9199.jpg gallery_23668_406_31669.jpg gallery_23668_406_222734 (1).jpg
So there we go, wish me luck for next week :) 

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
Splendid job you have done there and good to see it out of your garage.:thumbs:.
good luck for the MOT and enjoy driving it.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I may have said this before, but I'm not usually a fan of yellow cars but that looks stunning, I love it!  :cool:  You should be proud of that one ;)

Good spot on the gasket, it's usually something simple - which makes finding it very hard!  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Splendid job you have done there and good to see it out of your garage.:thumbs:.
good luck for the MOT and enjoy driving it.

Cheers Mark, MOT is now booked for Wednesday 18th in the afternoon! haven't felt this nervous in a while lol

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

I may have said this before, but I'm not usually a fan of yellow cars but that looks stunning, I love it!  :cool:  You should be proud of that one ;)

Good spot on the gasket, it's usually something simple - which makes finding it very hard!  :lol:

Thanks Andy, it's a colour I wouldn't normally go for but when I saw it in person fell in love. :wub:

Back to the top
She's looking gorgeous Rich, a credit to you!! :cool:

Andy#3

Back to the top
Looking good! Good luck with mot, what's the unusual shape in your throttle body?

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

She's looking gorgeous Rich, a credit to you!! :cool:

Andy#3

Cheers Andy, if only I could sort out that sound :lol:
There are too many online users to list.