Skip navigation

82 mars red GTI

Back to the top

The little GTI, 82 mars red mk1

Few photos from today, went down and got it rolling again.

IMGP5494.JPG IMGP5495.JPG
thumbnail_20151128_141027.jpg thumbnail_20151128_141043.jpg IMGP5496.JPG

Last edit: by Memorextape

Back to the top
And a comparison shot of when I dropped it off. It's come a long way!

DSC05179.JPG

Back to the top

Back to the top
Wow, looks stunning!!  :wub:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thank you :)Can't wait to start putting it back together now!!

Back to the top
Collected the mk1 last weekend, not done much on it yet other than fit the door locks, bonnet catch, boot lock + gas strut and the sunroof drain tubes. It's quite amazing the amount of parts that I need that I didn't realise I needed, I thought I had about 90% of the bits but really its more like 60% :lol:Currently working on the brakes and going through the wiring.
20160604_095503.JPG IMGP59242.JPG

Back to the top
Starting to all come together  :thumbs:

Have you got a time scale for the rebuild?

Matt

Back to the top
No, going to take my time with it, don't want to rush through anything and have to do it again. Hopefully it'll be running and have all the electrics working by the end of the year

Back to the top
Wow, looks great - fresh paint. Now the fun part starts putting it all back together!!

I've just moved house and realised I had 1 transit van and 3 estate car loads of parts for my MK1 rebuild - and that's still not everything covered!! lol

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I've got boxes and boxes of bits, will be nice to have some space back once its all together. Amazing how much space it all takes up when its off the car.

Back to the top
Started making up the brake lines but now waiting for the brake compensator valve to arrive along with some rubber grommets for where the pipes go through the chassis leg. While I've been waiting for bits to arrive I've assembled the horn, pointless at this stage I know but it's a box less of bits to loose. Had to get new horns as the old ones we're totally dead, I've had the bracket replated and have used Bosch windtone horns which unfortunately meant I couldn't use the proper rubber boots on the terminals so I've put some heat shrink on them to try and protect them from the elements.

Before and after of the horns-
IMG_2300.jpg IMGP5943.JPG

Back to the top
Slowly putting bits back on the car, I've rebuilt the calipers so all that I'm waiting for now is a spring for the brake servo then I can get the rest of the breaks done. While I'm waiting I've started building the doors back up as I have almost everything for them and have fitted the boot glass and vinyl sticker. Also fitted the red grill trim as I had Retropower paint them while doing the rest of the car.

Grill trim, original grill cleaned up with new genuine ends.
IMGP5960.JPG

Calipers
  IMG_2384.jpg IMG_0163.JPG

Vinyl sticker and boot glass in
IMG_0162.JPG

1/4 windows in
IMGP6069.JPG

New Hella headlights fitted
IMGP6062.JPG

Back to the top
Looks great, can't wait to be at this stage!

Do you know What the black stuff is on the inside of the front window and what is it for please?

Back to the top
Cheers, it's for the gap between the windscreen and the dash so it's not as noticeable that there is a gap between the two.

Back to the top
Thanks for that, I'll re-apply after paint.

Keep up the good work

Back to the top

sp8y said

Cheers, it's for the gap between the windscreen and the dash so it's not as noticeable that there is a gap between the two.

Hey Sp8y,
Also paint the 2 vertical post behind the grill black.
Otherwise it'll pop out when you place your grill, especially with such a bright red :)

Back to the top

D_Martijn said

Hey Sp8y,
Otherwise it'll pop out when you place your grill, especially with such a bright red :)
IMGP6088.JPG

Freshly unmasked this morning. :thumbs:I have noticed its something that is often missed off a resto

Back to the top

sp8y said

D_Martijn said

Hey Sp8y,

Freshly unmasked this morning. :thumbs:I have noticed its something that is often missed off a resto

Looking great!
Yes, It's often totally forgotten.

Back to the top

82 mars red GTI

Ive mentioned this so many times and no one ever listens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top

82 mars red GTI

Good work with the painting..

Posted at work…
There are too many online users to list.