Skip navigation

82 mars red GTI

Back to the top

The little GTI, 82 mars red mk1

This arrived today, 1985 Alpine 7283L pull out radio, should be a nice period upgrade for the mk1 :cool:.

Back to the top
This is a great read. And I love your pull-out radio...

Back to the top

Tried the radio out in my mk2 yesterday when I saw swapping the radio back to the original, was tempted to put it in there but I'll wait for the mk1 to be done. Did sound awesome though! :cool:

Back to the top
Loving the Radio Sp8y m8y :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hahahaha :lol:

Back to the top
Shells now at Retropower :), hired a trailer and got my dad to tow it there for me. currently a bare metal shell, fixing of the badly fitted panels that the last 'bodyshop' did shale be happening soon.

Also started stripping down the gearbox, but I'm yet to crack it open, not sure if I should leave it to the pros or not. Started putting some of the gear selection linkage together too.

Gear box now, only missing a few bits.

I just want my shell back now all nice and painted :lol:

Back to the top
whats the turnaround time on the shell?

matt

Back to the top
For me it will be around a year, but the more you pay the quicker it'll be done, I'm still only an apprentice so thats why its in for so long. Donations are also welcome :lol:

Back to the top
looking good sp8y, nice to get all that paint off so you can see whats going on under there. happy days :cool:

Back to the top
Thanks :), does look a million times better now its all one colour too.

Back to the top
Just read the lot, top work on your part:thumbs:Can't belive the first bodyshop though, shows you that anyone can start up a business and blag it:dry:

Back to the top
Thanks :) Still annoys me thinking about the first place:dry:wish I knew about Retropower before!

Back to the top
Just read this from start to finish, you have got some really good skills there, and are a brave man to tackle all the welding repairs.

Really looking forward to how the shell turns out once its all dipped and painted.  It will be so nice bolting all the shiney bits back on.  Hopefully I'll be doing the same to my own in the months ahead.

Keep the updates coming, fantastic build thread and very subtle mods.

Back to the top
Thanks mate :).

Progress has been slow because I've been on holiday and had to do a shed load of collage work for this week :|.

BUT now I have no more collage work to do, I've taken the hubs, wishbone clamps, front roll bar clamps and accumulator to work and shot blast them. Painted them but they need another coat and once that's done I'll get the hubs assembled :).

Should be starting on the brakes sometime soon.

Back to the top
Unfortunately I've not had any time to do anything on this because I'm currently prepping my mk2 GTI for paint. But Retropower has started the welding work required to sort the last 'bodyshops' mess out. :)

Back to the top
Crikey that looked like major surgery!

Looks great though :)

Back to the top
Wow epic job!!  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Cheers guys. :)

Back to the top
Coming together nicely Sp8y :thumbs:

Back to the top
There are too many online users to list.