Skip navigation

82 Cabriolet S3 TFSI TSR conversion (wide arched)

Back to the top

82 Cabriolet S3 TFSI TSR conversion

Looks lovely mate, really stunning in the sun, shame about the overspray on your sump, or is it a reflection?

Did you get your CV sorted?

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top

Joe90k said

Looks lovely mate, really stunning in the sun, shame about the overspray on your sump, or is it a reflection?

Did you get your CV sorted?

That's the overspray mate. Waiting to see if he sorts it out once it goes back to the bodyshop. Mike is coming up on Sunday to measure up the driveshaft for me. Hopefully have a new driveshaft in a week or two. 

Ad. 

Back to the top
Big thanks to Miketurbo for helping me out and getting the driveshaft sorted.  We had to have 20mm taken out and re-welded in the end as before it was just smashing the cv when I hit a pot hole. 
  Managed to get the shaft fitted today and have been out and about without any problems. I want to get a few hundred miles on the car before having a custom shaft made up , just so I can be sure it's working well before I she'll out the cash. 
 In the meantime I've made up a new parcel shelf and trimmed it in vinyl and I'm in the process of of mocking up the dash. Dash looks a bit of a mess at the minute but once I've got everything where I want it , I'll trim it in the same vinyl as the parcel shelf. 
 Still not got the car back up to the bodyshop yet and not sure when I'm taking it up now as I've got a lot on over the next few weeks. 
  Next step is to try and get the interior sorted. 
C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Love the clocks mate, they look awesome!! :cool:

Back to the top
Funky gauges!

Really glad you got the drive shaft issue sorted, I bet you're relieved now ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Cheers guys !! Hopefully get the dash finished this week sometime. 
  Really relieved with the shaft. Hopefully that should be the last running issue. Fingers crossed !! 

Back to the top
This is epic mate, really looking great, hope you and mike have sussed the driveshaft, you making the AGM?, be great to see this in the flesh :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Should be Coming this year Rich. Going to go up and see the guy at the bodyshop next week and find out how long it will take him to sort out the paintwork. Don't want to miss out on another summer because the car is having work done to it. If it's going to take too long to get sorted I'm going to wait until the end of the year to get it sorted out. 

Back to the top
I got around to finishing the dash panel off today and I'm happy with how it has turned out for a novice 😄 All I have to do is wire up the cigarette lighter underneath the light switch.
 Next on the to do list is to get a new fuel pump as the one on the car sounds shot. Buzzing and whining once the car is at a standstill after it's warmed up. 
 Looking into getting a bosch 044 pump as it looks like a pretty easy swap as I've got all the connections where the shot pump is.  C:\fakepath\image.jpg C:\fakepath\image.jpg

Back to the top
Nice work on the dash, looks fantastic  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I managed to get a bosch 044 fuel pump for the golf and have been trying to fit it. The first attempt failed as I bought a sytec fuel filter to act as a pre filter and I mounted it above the rear beam leg on the body. I didn't realise , but when I took the car out to test it the rear beam leg was hitting the filter. Also the fuel hose that I was using had to do a 180 degree turn to get from the filter back down to the pump. In doing this the hose kinked and restricted the flow. 
  So on to today. I'd ordered some an-10 braided hose and an-10 fittings as well as a 180 degree an-10 connector which will stop the kinking on the way back to the pump. Ordered some an-10 to straight 1/2" & 3/8" fittings to swap onto my sytec filter. Didn't realise that the fittings are too big and that I needed an-10 to 1/4" fitting which do not exist so have had to now order a different filter with an-10 ends on it. 
C:\fakepath\image.jpg
 At that I pulled off the wheel lining hat houses the breather pipes and to my surprise I found this !  C:\fakepath\image.jpg
Had a poke about and managed to cut it back and I'm going to patch it up on Sunday if I get a chance.  C:\fakepath\image.jpg
 Just waiting on the new filter now and a couple of extra fittings to try fitting the pre filter again.

Ad.  

Back to the top

Baggie82 said

Dont know if you have wiped the inner part of that CV clean or not ? but it certainly looks like when you have done up the allen bolts it has pushed the CV up against the diff and then proceeded to pull the outer back up the shaft meaning its not sat snug, this is why torqueing the allen bolts is so important, but also it needs to fit !
You can check the engine mount position by balancing the engine on a flat peice of ply and a trolley jack (so the engine can move sideways a small amount, then unbolt the engine mounts from the car taking the bolts right out, then bolting the driveshafts up without cranking on them hard, the driveshafts will dictate where the engine should be sitting, then just check to see if the engine mount bolts will slide through with minimal effort.

PITA i agree but it has to be done

Back to the top
Managed to get the shaft sorted. The shaft was too long , so every time I hit a pot hole it rammed the shaft towards the gearbox which was smashing the cv. 
  I've had 20mm taken off the shaft and it's running fine so far. I'm still running it in at the moment before having a new one custom made. 

unityjon said

Baggie82 said

Dont know if you have wiped the inner part of that CV clean or not ? but it certainly looks like when you have done up the allen bolts it has pushed the CV up against the diff and then proceeded to pull the outer back up the shaft meaning its not sat snug, this is why torqueing the allen bolts is so important, but also it needs to fit !
You can check the engine mount position by balancing the engine on a flat peice of ply and a trolley jack (so the engine can move sideways a small amount, then unbolt the engine mounts from the car taking the bolts right out, then bolting the driveshafts up without cranking on them hard, the driveshafts will dictate where the engine should be sitting, then just check to see if the engine mount bolts will slide through with minimal effort.

PITA i agree but it has to be done

Back to the top
I see you mentioned a fuel cooler, do the original TFSI engined cars have one?

Back to the top

Dirrt said

I don't think they did , but don't quote me on that. Was having a read around the net and was saying that the pump gets quite hot and when it's returned to the tank it can vaporise once the car has warmed up.
  Hopefully it will be a simple fix. Had the same problem with the old pump that was fitted and I thought that the pump was shot. Obviously not !

Ad.

Back to the top

Dirrt said

May also be vapour lock as I don't think there is a return from the engine to the tank. There is a return line going into the tank but it looks as though it's coming from the fuel filter.
 Hopefully all will be revealed tomorrow .

Ad.

Back to the top
Any update?

Back to the top

Dirrt said

Any update?

Hey dirrt !
  Still got the issue with the fuelling but the car is still drivable. Took it to dub unit in tamworth and Matt basically said that I'd self diagnosed the problem. Think the option will be to run a swirl pot setup and maybe a fuel cooler. Matt is gonna give me a call when he has a plan so will update then. 

Ad. 

Back to the top
That's a lot of issues after TSR carried out the conversion.

Back to the top

Dirrt said

That's a lot of issues after TSR carried out the conversion.

I agree I don't think they even test driven the car at all.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.