Skip navigation

1982 lido green resto

Back to the top
Im not going to write a load of old cobblers about how i struggled with this bolt and how i sanded that etc etc  il just let the pictures do the talking.

since looking at the pics again I'm wondering…. what mind altering drugs was i on to even think about handing over actual real english pounds for what can only be described as an oversized airfix kit!!!

fullsizeoutput_785.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_786.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_76e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_787.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_781.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_783.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_788.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_772.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_78a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_78c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_76c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_77c.jpeg

tbc

Back to the top
fullsizeoutput_771.jpeg

468.JPG

485.JPG

486.JPG

488.JPG

489.JPG

072 (2).JPG

073 (2).JPG

076 (2).JPG

037.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

fullsizeoutput_768.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9b.jpeg

IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_2702.JPG

Back to the top
Some very good work gone into this car, now it's time to finish it and get it on the road so we can all see it….  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Challenges and results like this just underline how a strategic approach to completing one task at a time, rather than being overwhelmed by the enormity of the overall task wins through in the end.

Anyone undertaking a restoration needs to see this before they start.

Now bloody hurry up and finish it!  :ocf_emoticons__eusa_clap:

Back to the top
Theres nothing i would like more right now than just getting on and finishing it but being a full time dad to a 1 year old and a 5 year old and  finding everything takes 5 times longer than it should as I'm sifting through boxes to find parts when i have absolutely no idea what they look like or how they came off are making it a slow process  never mind trying to run a wrap/graphics business in my spare spare time.

If i had been the one to strip it it would have been finished a long time ago but I'm finding the images in a haynes manual aren't exactly "high res"  :lol:  simple tasks like setting the timing with no info on which marks to use and connecting wires under the bonnet when there are no references as to where anything goes are little hurdles i need to overcome.

On the plus side i had a couple of hours on it this week so far and managed to build the passenger door including fitting the ridiculously annoying door rubber. and i also got time in my paint booth to blow a couple of bits in.

I'm getting "http error" whilst trying to upload pics so will try again when i get 5

Back to the top
58D519DE-F796-4ED0-A338-E2D80D5324C5.jpeg

446C17C5-E6F7-4207-8BC5-859A13457FC4.jpeg

2C519196-BA98-420E-BAF2-6B328B64C811.jpeg

Back to the top
Had a spare couple of hours today, managed to cut and fit new windscreen pillar vinyl, fit the screen back in and fit the drivers door rubber.
  Gave her a bit of a wash off this evening to see how the bodywork has faired over the winter whilst outside under a cover.

IMG_5177.JPG

IMG_5179.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

Back to the top
Might just be the angle of the photo, but are your brake pipes not running quite low to the ground?  They look a bit vulnerable.

Back to the top

Pistol said

Might just be the angle of the photo, but are your brake pipes not running quite low to the ground?  They look a bit vulnerable.

They aren't fitted in that pic, they were just hanging after running them down the car. 

You missed the nails being used to hold the pads in tho 😉

Back to the top
Brake lines not right, they need to go up,.

On the subject of brake calipers and pads, you are also missing the anti rattle clip?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
 :lol: your cooking with gas now  ;)  :lol:
rest assured after the mock up it was assembled correctly  :cool:

Back to the top
soooooo  attempting to get the engine bolted piped and wired up.  
 Thanks to Roach who sent me out the last lot of missing parts for the car, bit of a legend  :thumbs:

kinda fallen at the first hurdle. According to the manual and all the info i can find online the pipe id the right one for my engine but…. as the you can see from the photo's theres no water inlet on the bottom of the manifold.   il have to get a bit of pipe and blank it off as the rest of the pipework is spot on.

IMG_5318.JPG

IMG_5320.JPG

IMG_5319.JPG

Back to the top
Hey bud! Looking good!

Yeah just blank off that outlet I guess, earlier cars had a water fed inlet mani.

Back to the top
Spent pretty much the whole afternoon swapping bits of loom over and referencing both the haynes manual and pictures on google trying to suss the wiring, i think i have managed to get most wires roughly in the right places but il have to look at and re run them to find the neatest positions.
 Realised both the coil and the horn are the wrong ones, i can work around them for now.with a bit of wiring bodgery until i find the right ones.

The one thing that has me puzzled is the rad fan as it has a direct feed to the battery for both the live and earth (via the thermo switch) and no fuse, im wondering if someone has at some point bypassed a fuse or relay or if its standard.

anyhoo… pics…  the year stood outside hasn't done the bare ally surfaces any favours.

IMG_5323.JPG

IMG_5325.JPG

IMG_5324.JPG

Back to the top
Great pics and resto. I bet many hours have gone into this.  :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.