Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

Like all the body parts hung up safe  :thumbs:

Did you use waxoyl for the cavities?

Back to the top
I used it in the rear wheel arches but it's too thick for the cavities, it's more like ear wax lol

I used some other stuff I got from Auto Panels, it's really watery and comes with a long straw-like attachment that sprays in four directions which I used on the sills, front cross member, inside rear arches etc etc basically any hole I found :lol:

Can't remember the name off hand but I'll get it tomorrow. :)

Back to the top
Cheers andy. Have you drilled any extra holes or just used what's already there?

Back to the top
Geessss - just joined up here and read this..

EPIC!!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Cheers Geeba :thumbs:

Back to the top
no updates since monday, your slacking!

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top
Sorry mate, been waiting for more stuff to arrive. Car is back off the jig now the waxing is done. Headliner and new carpet set has arrived  yesterday so think I'll tackle the headliner next on Saturday. Got 16 days off after tomorrow so there will be plenty of updates. :thumbs:

Back to the top
Bit of an update.

Not been working on the car but spent the at work customising the rear axle I got off Brad. The aim was to chop 20mm off each end of the beam so I can fit the wider wheels. This is just an experiment but hopefully it should work :)I'll let the pics do the talking.

First off I made a jig on the steel bench at work and made plates to pick up the holes where the stub axle fits on.

I then made some 20mm spacers to fit in the jig once the required amount of axle was removed.

I welded a flat to the plates to help reduce any movement.

I removed some the gussets from the top of the beam to make it easier to mark up.

I then set about with a 9" grinder and removed what I needed.

Using 10mm thick flat I made some end plates to reinforce where I cut off.

I Fitted the 20mm spacers in the jig and tacked them in.

Removed the stub axle plates from the remainder from the pieces I cut off.

Bolted the stub axle plates to the jig.

Put the axle back in the jig and tacked it all together.

I then welded an angle to the axle and clamped it up ready for welding.

Then welded it all up and also added some new gussets to help strengthen it all up. I didn't get any more pics as was in a hurry. Going to try it on the car tomorrow and if all is well I'll get it blasted and powder coated.

That's it for today.

Back to the top
 :cool:  Made easy work of that Andy mate  :thumbs:

Excellent work

Back to the top
Yeah, there wasn't much to it really mate. Just hope it works :lol:

Back to the top
Damn fine work Andy #3  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

aslong as toe/camber hasnt moved youll be fine, presuming you bolted the jig plates to the axle before welding down it WILL be fine  :cool:

Back to the top
Is this mod purely to achieve a deeper looking dish?

I want a bench I can weld stuff to as well now!!

Back to the top

Brad. said

Melteddrummer said

aslong as toe/camber hasnt moved youll be fine, presuming you bolted the jig plates to the axle before welding down it WILL be fine  :cool:

Yeah it was all bolted up before welding and left to cool in the jig, don't think anything has moved. Got it fitted today and looks ok to me, see below :)

Back to the top

Yomp said

Is this mod purely to achieve a deeper looking dish?

I want a bench I can weld stuff to as well now!!

Yes Graham, it's just to fit the deep dish wheels in. I also have another beam I can swap back if I want to run normal wheels. I like options lol.

Bit more progress today. Got the modified axle fitted and I think it all looks ok, would like to hear what anyone else thinks though :thumbs:

Swapped the stub axles and discs from my other axle.

Wheels fitted

Thoughts anyone?

Also made a start on the dreaded wiring, had the fuse box in three times and then back out, got a few rogue wires where I'm not sure where they go. I'm gonna make a post in the electrics forum,  if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Headliner will be going in on Tuesday.

Back to the top
Looks great Andy  :thumbs: I'm very impressed with your 9" grinder cutting accuracy, looks spot on.  :wub:

Will you have to alter the front wishbones to fit the front wheels?

Back to the top
Cheers Matt, I won't be altering the fronts because it means I will need custom drive shafts. I'll probably drop a size in lips at the front if needed. I've got a set of 0.5 lips if need be.

Back to the top
That looks brilliant, interesting approach.

Back to the top
Looks good to me Andy. Will you clear the filler neck with the OSR wheel once it's all fitted up?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Looks good to me Andy. Will you clear the filler neck with the OSR wheel once it's all fitted up?

Haven't tried it in yet mate, another job for tomorrows list!! I'll let you know.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.