Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

So, so pleased for you Andy #3 Melteddrummer

Your face must hurt for smiling!! I can't wait to see your build progress now  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Well its a cloudless day dahn sarf so hopefully it's the same with you!  Now for the fun bit…..  good luck :thumbs:

Banner

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

So, so pleased for you Andy #3 Melteddrummer

Your face must hurt for smiling!! I can't wait to see your build progress now  :cool:

My face is definitely hurting from smiling mate, car is tucked away for the night. She's home safe and sound :thumbs:

ew said

Well its a cloudless day dahn sarf so hopefully it's the same with you!  Now for the fun bit…..  good luck :thumbs:

Weather held out perfectly EW, Its started to spit on just as I closed the door on my unit tonight :lol:

Cheers bud.

Sorry no pics tonight but I'll get loads tomorrow. :ninja:

Back to the top
PICS!PICS!PICS!!!!!  :'(

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top

chipster2407 said

PICS!PICS!PICS!!!!!  :'(

Only had my phone with me and it was dead, plenty pics tomorrow matey :thumbs:

Back to the top
Small update from today. I must say I'm scared to even go near the car but had to in the end  :lol:

So here she is back home where she belongs with lovely shiny paint. She looks like she is on stilts haha.

So my first job was to remove all panels and hang them up out of the way and then try the BBS Rm's I bought off Richy. I was always dubious about the 3" dishes fitting in the rear arches and today confirmed my suspicions. Here they are fitted..

lowered

from above

I bought another axle off Brad to shorten at each end to fit the wheels in the arches, with the 3" lips as pictured I need to shorten the axle by 25mm per side but I only have 20mm clearance between the spring and the inner wheel, so not much play there.

My plan now is to use the front wheels from the set I bought which have 2" lips, with these I can shorten the axle 15mm per side and still have enough clearance. I have bought some 0.5 lips to refurbish and put back on the front wheels so I still have the staggered look that I want.

2" wheels

from above

That's it for today, I'm off work tomorrow so gonna try and get the car on the jig so I can start work on the underneath.

Back to the top
 :cool: when you narrow the beam a bit would that not also push the strut further inwards, albeit it will make it on an angle but would it give you a tad more Clearence? Or an I being thick as per :lol:  

Back to the top
Whenever I get on this forum I always check out the progress on your build thread.  The work in this car is second to none, and it looks like the bodyshop has done an amazing job.

You must have been bricking it removing all the body panels off a freshly painted shell !!!!

Keep the updates coming.

Back to the top

Brad. said

:cool: when you narrow the beam a bit would that not also push the strut further inwards, albeit it will make it on an angle but would it give you a tad more Clearence? Or an I being thick as per :lol:  

Strut won't move mate because I'm only going to be chopping off the outside of the beam and the strut holders are on the inside, if that makes sense?

Pistol said

Whenever I get on this forum I always check out the progress on your build thread.  The work in this car is second to none, and it looks like the bodyshop has done an amazing job.

You must have been bricking it removing all the body panels off a freshly painted shell !!!!

Keep the updates coming.

Cheers mate, much appreciated. The bodyshop have done a great job, I'm very happy with it!

Yeah, I was bricking it, definitely, especially when my mate walked through the door shaking a bottle of brake fluid :dry:   I quickly showed him the door :lol:

Back to the top
nothing like fresh mars red good luck with the rebuild fella  :thumbs:

Mars red Tin top 83' gti in progress

Back to the top

Drapoon said

nothing like fresh mars red good luck with the rebuild fella  :thumbs:

Agreed! :wub:   Cheers dude!!

Back to the top
Wow, wow, wow oh and wow!  :wub:  :cool:  That looks stunning mate. Best wrap yourself in bubble wrap before you go anywhere near it!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Was it water based paint and did the lacquer it or not?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Paint job looks stunning Andy, you must be so pleased  :wub:  :wub:

Those are some deep dish wheels  :o . the chap who painted your car shortened his rear beam by quite a bit, theres a build thread on ed38, although im sure you know this  :P

now quit messing around, rebuild your car and show me how its done  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Wow, wow, wow oh and wow!  :wub:  :cool:  That looks stunning mate. Best wrap yourself in bubble wrap before you go anywhere near it!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Was it water based paint and did the lacquer it or not?

Cheers Andy. One thing I am learning is patience. Unlike before when I wasn't worried about scratching it, I now have to take my time and walk around the car instead of running about like an idiot :lol:

Unsure which paint he used tbh but it's not lacquered.

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Paint job looks stunning Andy, you must be so pleased  :wub: :wub:Those are some deep dish wheels  :o. the chap who painted your car shortened his rear beam by quite a bit, theres a build thread on ed38, although im sure you know this  :Pnow quit messing around, rebuild your car and show me how its done  :thumbs:
They are deep mate, too deep!  It was Jon I got the idea of shortening the axle mate, I had a good look at his(ooer) on Saturday to see how he did it, It's an easy enough job. I'm going to do the axle over the crimbo holidays, I'll take some pics to show how I do it!

Here's another pic from today, got the car on the roll over jig and just been waxing my cavities(ooer again) lol. :lol:

Back to the top
I guessed it wouldn't have been lacquered but thought would ask. It's nice that you've got a good, clean space to finish it in.

Full speed ahead now then! What's your time frame now do you think?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
That clean space isn't so clean anymore, I'm a messy so 'n' so lol

Not sure on time tbh mate, I'm just hoping to have it done by the summer, a bit earlier would be a bonus.

Just noticed a clanger has been dropped already lol. Jon the painter glued my tailgate seal in and the headliner isn't in yet :(    :lol:

Back to the top
Ooops on the seal!! Will it come out without damaging the paint?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I'll find out tomorrow  O_o

Back to the top
Fingers crossed!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
There are too many online users to list.