Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

Cheers Andy ! TSR recommended the quaife diff , probably because they stock them  :P and they seem to be a decent price for the 02a. Likewise on fitting. although i've got a spare 02a in the garage that I may have a play with and pull it apart  O_o

Back to the top
I was originally going for the Quaife diff. The wavetrac was recommended by someone who runs them in his mk2s, his mates have them fitted in their cars for the mk2 championships and swear by them. 

Back to the top
Nice LSD Andy, good looking bit of kit and a nice Christmas pressy for you!!

The engine is looking sweet - I reckon you should have more than enough power as-is!  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
sweet looking engine andy :thumbs:  and almost saturday  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

please explain the lsd to me? what does it do?

Back to the top
Cheers Andy, should be more than enough power I reckon, going to be trying to tame it more than anything :lol:

Matt, the wavetrac helps keep the wheels planted. Without it, on hard acceleration only one wheel will spin. Also helps with cornering and low traction conditions. I don't know exactly how it works, it's a bit over my head as well mate, but that's the gist of it :)

Back to the top
Understanding Limited Slip Differential - YouTube

That video explains an LSD pretty well, it basically stops you lighting up one wheel with a lot of power…

The Wavetrac differs from the Quaife by not using clutch packs, therefore needing very little maintenance and being more effective.

I bought my Wavetrac when I was in California in September. Its a truly amazing bit of kit!

Looking good Andy!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
i was thinking about a quafie diff in my 020. all have a look at wavetrac now while am doing nowt at work

Back to the top
Cheers for the vid Joe, I'll take a look in a bit. Good to hear another good review of the wavetrac. 

Andy :cool:

Back to the top
Baggie82    easternkris   Here's the best place to get a Wavetrac, there is only three other places to get them in the UK but they're all more expensive by quite a bit!

Wavetrac @ Part Box

Fitting kit @ Regal

Back to the top
Thanks Andy , appreciated  :thumbs:

Back to the top
cheers buddy, thats about 100quid cheaper then other places, had a look on a few forums and they do get a really good write up against quafie diffs am going to have to put a diff in the 16vg60 build.

Back to the top
Nee botha Kris. Let me know if you go for the Wavetrac, I know just the man to fit it and he's in the north east as well. :thumbs:

Back to the top
I forgot your just over the water. I use a guy in jarrow for pretty much everything 

Back to the top
No worries bud :cool:

Back to the top
Cheers for the info boys  :thumbs:  always good to learn something new  :ninja:

Back to the top
Here she is ready to be picked up in the morning :)  Just got to hope the weather stays good as it's a 2 hour drive!!

Everybody do the Sun Dance tomorrow please!! :lol:

Back to the top
 :cool :wub:  :cool: :wub:  :

Weather will be brilliant, we don't moan, were tough northerners :P

Back to the top
It's true, you're right!! :cool:

Back to the top
I'm dancing  :P

Back to the top
Paint looks awesome!

Exciting now you can start bolting bits back on! 

:)
There are too many online users to list.