83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

looking good fella

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top
Cheers dudes :thumbs:

Back to the top
Ive been following this build from early on, its so good to see a project all the way through, massive respect for all the hard work and effort youve been putting in, its all top notch!

It has been a huge inspiration to myself, im currently restoring an old merc.

Glad to see the paint is on, light at the end of the tunnel! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hope you've got a big space to fill in your front room andy, that work of arts is gonna be far too good to drive  :thumbs:  :wub:

Back to the top
Looking good Andy.
Ready for the spring?
Your turn to take me on the AGM drive out! :thumbs:

Back to the top

browny300 said

Ive been following this build from early on, its so good to see a project all the way through, massive respect for all the hard work and effort youve been putting in, its all top notch!

It has been a huge inspiration to myself, im currently restoring an old merc.

Glad to see the paint is on, light at the end of the tunnel! :thumbs:

Cheers for the kind words Browny, it's taken a while but I've enjoyed it al the way.  :cool:

pazwaa said

Hope you've got a big space to fill in your front room andy, that work of arts is gonna be far too good to drive  :thumbs:  :wub:

Cheers Matt, She would make a great centre piece for the living room :lol:

Yomp said

Looking good Andy.
Ready for the spring?
Your turn to take me on the AGM drive out! :thumbs:

Cheers Yomp, I would hope to have her ready for spring or the summer at the latest. Yeah I'll take us out on the drive out, no worries there. :thumbs:

Back to the top
WOW!!! looking awesome mate. Well done. Now the fun part starts.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top

Beeno said

WOW!!! looking awesome mate. Well done. Now the fun part starts.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Sure does mate, can't wait to get her home :)

Back to the top
looking great , gotta love a project when it gets to this point
 :thumbs:

Back to the top
Damn right Neil!! cheers mate :cool:

Back to the top
Have been following this with interest since you started just over 2 years ago. Credit to you for all the work done, and great to see the colour go on. Shes going to be a beauty.

Back to the top

watson said

Have been following this with interest since you started just over 2 years ago. Credit to you for all the work done, and great to see the colour go on. Shes going to be a beauty.

Thank you very much. She certainly is going to be a beauty. I'll hopefully have back home in the next couple of weeks. Happy days :cool:

Back to the top
Just to keep the thread alive while I'm waiting for my car to come home, I've refurbished my petrol tank.

before

After

Back to the top
That's spangley Andy! What did you paint it with?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Did you treat the inside of the tank as well?

Back to the top
Nothing like some fresh Mars Red - top work fella

Hope I make the AGM next year :thumbs:

Mars red Tin top 83' gti in progress

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

That's spangley Andy! What did you paint it with?

I used hammerite smooth aerosol, this stuff is like water to apply, you've got to take your time and apply a good few very thin layers, think I put about six coats on!

jezzer said

Did you treat the inside of the tank as well?

Inside of the tank is looking brand new mate, no need for treatment luckily enough.

Drapoon said

Nothing like some fresh Mars Red - top work fella

Hope I make the AGM next year :thumbs:

You're right there mate, I hope I make the AGM too :cool:

Back to the top
very shiny fuel tank, good job. some patience there putting 6 coats on  :thumbs:

Back to the top

pazwaa said

very shiny fuel tank, good job. some patience there putting 6 coats on  :thumbs:

Cheers Matt, didn't have much choice really mate after seeing the first coat go on to bare metal, first coat looked like a varnish, second coat a bit darker and so on….

Back to the top
i'm terrible with a rattle can, far too impatient, just want it finished with one go, but that just means runs and a terrible finish  :lol:
There are too many online users to list.