Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

Me too. It's a thing of beauty when the parts look as good as that.

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Hi all,

Small update but a nice 1!!

Got myself a Downpipe from Mat at Trackslag.com, didn't realise they were just round the corner from where I live, Result!!

Matt came to my unit and we fitted the gearbox temporarily to check for clearance on the drive shafts, all seems good!

Here's some pics.

Plenty room for the drive shaft

That's all folks.

Andy.

Back to the top
hate to say this but you got front pipe bolted on the wrong way lol

any new on when you get it back from the bodyshop

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top
You passed the test mate!! well spotted!!  :lol:

Seriously though, It was just pointed out to me on the Relentless FB page, see, this is why I need the car here so I don't do silly things like that :lol:

No news from body shop yet, think it's gonna be a while yet. Tbh, I'm not in any hurry, I'd rather he took his time.

Back to the top
nice pipework, even if it was fitted the wrong way  :lol:

look well mate  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Nice pipeage Andy  :thumbs:

I caught up with Matt quickly at the end of Sunday, it was great to meet him after chatting so much earlier in the year on the phone and messages when he sorted me out a system on my MK2 16v. Top bloke  :thumbs:

I think my MK2 may well get a 20v one day  ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Neil20vt said

nice pipework, even if it was fitted the wrong way  :lol:look well mate  :thumbs:
Cheers Neil, it's a really nice bit of kit, picking up the rest of it next month hopefully :)

Hairyarse said

Nice pipeage Andy  :thumbs:I caught up with Matt quickly at the end of Sunday, it was great to meet him after chatting so much earlier in the year on the phone and messages when he sorted me out a system on my MK2 16v. Top bloke  :thumbs:I think my MK2 may well get a 20v one day  ;)
Cheers Andy. Yeah Matt is a top bloke, glad he lives just a few miles away as well, he's very knowledgeable chap.

Next on the list is a Wavetrac diff which was recommended by Matt, apparently the car handles alot better with the Wavetrac rather than the Quaife which is more widely used. Matt will also be fitting this for me :)Wavetrac Diffs

Back to the top
Oh that's decent of him. I've not heard of those before, will check out the link.

No doubt one day I'll be tapping your brain for valver knowledge when I do the MK2! lol

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Im in the process of a 20vt pretty much same spec but no where near as pristine as yours!! Top work! 
I am having bother with my shifter mech, i dont want to drill my bulkhead as everything is smoothed and welded up bar 2 holes. And trackslag recommended putting the mech inside the car. By cutting it like yours does it give you enough clearance from the exhaust? Yours literally just has the bit where the cables come out hanging down. Your vuilf thread is awesone and attention to detail makes me think i should start again haha

Back to the top
Not sure on clearance tbh Chris. My car has been away for a long time now and haven't had a chance to try the engine in with the trackslag exhaust fitted. It could be an issue but I'll only know when I get the car back from the painters, when that is, is anybodys guess. I'm sure there will be a way to get a bit more clearance if needed, probably need a heat shield as well.

Back to the top
Yeh i have mine fitted but have removed again.. im thinking so long as is above exhaust rubber hook it should be ok… i have car but not the exhaust yet  :P  lol i hope for both our sakes its not an issue to save having to chop more to get it fitted inside haha

Back to the top
Just having a think about it now. The exhaust rubber will hang below the shifter box, then the exhaust hangs from there. There must be at least 30-40mm clearance, I reckon I can get a heat shield in that gap :ninja:   I'll probably cove the bottom of the shifter box with aluminium tape as well, I guess you could wrap that part of the exhaust as another measure as well.

Here's where I got the idea for cutting the hole for the shifter  All Things Scirocco

Andy.

Back to the top
That links awesome! Thankyou.. what maf sensor are you going to be using? I think because mines an aum i use a vr6 3" casing and put the aum sensor in… but not 100% sure. So any info you have id appreciate it :-)

Back to the top
I think I'll be using VR6 3" Maf housing as well mate. Don't have much info on it tbh.

smudger may be able to help us both in that respect. What MAF you using Andy?

Back to the top
Would also like some input on this. I have read that for an AGU at least, you can reuse the sensor in a 3 inch housing. Something to do with it not being able to pull enough air I think…

I was going to buy this from the states instead of trying to source a VR6 Maf as they are so expensive new, especially if you only need a housing…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-0-OD-76mm-OD-VW-MAF-Housing-x-6-with-air-straightener-MK3-Audi-Ford-Volvo-/261442970352?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cdf3722f0

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161362145891&alt=web
Joe you can get them on ebay… im thinking of being a bit sneaky… order a aum one (as i need one) and a vr6 one. And swapping sensor and send it back… but it is a tw ts trick.. im sure people used do it with 8v and 16v clutch and pressure plates.. from searching around a volvo has 3" ones. And looks same kinda flange. So a scrap yard trip and im sure sonet will stand out to me…

Back to the top
What's the latest on yours Andy? Melteddrummer

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

I think I'll be using VR6 3" Maf housing as well mate. Don't have much info on it tbh.

smudger may be able to help us both in that respect. What MAF you using Andy?

You're right Andy I am using a VR6 maf. I found when I went to 3" tip the orientation of the AGU maf holder was the wrong way so you'll need the VR6 maf holder or similar to flip it 45 degrees :)

Andy

Back to the top
Cheers for that Andy :thumbs:

Back to the top
Sorted cheapest way! Basically vauxhall 2.2 diesel engibes use a 3" maf casing and your maf sensor bolts in.. check my thread for pics. Also ford galaxy diesels are same part no. For the sensor  itself :-) should save ya 50 quid joe ;-)
There are too many online users to list.