Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

Nice to meet you too, Mike.  :cool:

Cheers,

Andy.

Back to the top
Had an afternoon off work today and made a bit of progress stripping the 20V T down, got the head off and took the cam shafts out. Either tomorrow or at the weekend I'll get it stripped completely and start measuring stuff :)

:cool:

Back to the top
Must be a nice change to be doing mechanicals and not body work!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
It is Andy. I'm not too hot on mechanicals but I want to know my car inside out, learning all the time :)

Back to the top
Good man  ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Good afternoons work .  Mine was not so productive. Keep up the good work

Back to the top
Have you done an engine before andy, or is this all new?

Back to the top

Marts v dub said

Good afternoons work .  Mine was not so productive. Keep up the good work
It's like that sometimes, sometimes you can't get nowt done :ocf_emoticons__BangHead:   Cheers :thumbs:

pazwaa said

Have you done an engine before andy, or is this all new?
It's all new to me Matt, got 4 Haynes manuals to keep me right though :lol: Mk1, 2, 3 and 4,  because that is basically what my car will be :lol:

Back to the top
Brave man  :thumbs:  but sure you'll learn a lot, and a damn sight cheaper than getting someone else to do it  :thumbs:

Back to the top
good to see your turning your hand to everything on your car

whats the face of the head like as these have been known to corrode quite badly if the wrong coolant has been used

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top

dik-van-dub said

good to see your turning your hand to everything on your car

whats the face of the head like as these have been known to corrode quite badly if the wrong coolant has been used

Haven't flipped it over to have a look yet mate, going to finish stripping it down in the morning, I'll get some pics. The engine has apparently only done 40K so can't see there being too many issues. It will be getting a skim anyway, I was thinking I might even go for bigger valves etc as well :)

Back to the top
i would turn it over and check, even if it has done 40k

wouldnt bother with bigger valves but i have heard of people using n/a cams for a few more ponies, i need to research this further though

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top
Got a few more ponies coming from this low miler K04 too :ninja:

Back to the top
Nice hair drier Andy  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Wish I had some hair to dry mate :lol:

Stripped some more of the engine down this morning.

Pistons out

Think the water pump has seen better days too

Measuring the end float using feeler gauges as I don't have a dti gauge yet, can someone confirm I'm measuring in the right place please? the measurement was as it was supposed to be.

Crankshaft out

I'm glad I decided to strip this engine as the lower big end bearing shells have seen better days, I'm no expert but these don't look right.

shells 1 - 5 in order, they progressively get better left to right. Is this a sign of something? why would they be worse on one side? unbalanced crank or something maybe?

No1

No2

No3

No4

No5

Is this sort of wear normal for an engine that has only done 40K, apparently? seems a bit excessive to me.

That's it for now, I'm having a bite to eat then back off down the unit to strip the head.

Andy :thumbs:

Back to the top
Guuuu onn lad! Love this bit of builds haha. Love building engines haha

Back to the top
Just wish I knew more about them, I guess this is what I'm learning now though eh?!! :ninja:

Back to the top
Been watching this build, awesome work there :thumbs:, with regard to the shells there's looks like they've had a hard life, I'm not an expert but have stripped engines in the past and usually they're worn but relatively smooth, those look like they've got hot at some point as parts are breaking away, good decision to strip it.

Back to the top
Cheers Hubbadubba :thumbs:  Yeah I thought they didn't look right. Also, when I first drained the oil off and took the sump off, there was a lot of flakes of metal, I now know where they came from :dry:

Andy. :cool:

Back to the top
Maybe run low on oil or starved to the poxy oil strainer clogging problem

Soo much work going on here, i love welding and like all the little sections and plated your making.

I recently purchased a few tools to help fabricating metal bits but the mk1 i bough has zero rust haha

I was originally going to buy a 1956 ford f100 to rebuild and maybe build my own chassis but opted for another mk1

Anyway, keep up the good work bud  :thumbs:
There are too many online users to list.