Skip navigation

83 Gti set to get full resto

Back to the top

My 83 Gti set to get full restoration

Yes its the rear gearbox mount, u need to use the other mount that goes underneath the car and get a bush between the both, it looks like the same one as mine i bought from epytec, to be honest its not the greatest of fits to the gearbox but it does the job :)

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top
Cheers lads, I found all my old mounts that I had misplaced, it's a lot clearer now where everything goes :thumbs:

Back to the top

pazwaa said

From the look of the mounting holes I'd guess it bolts to the gearbox.

Oops  :$  Almost thought i knew something then!  :lol:

Engine looking very nice in it's new home, gonna be sweet.  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

Back to the top

pazwaa said

pazwaa said

From the look of the mounting holes I'd guess it bolts to the gearbox.

Oops  :$  Almost thought i knew something then!  :lol:

Engine looking very nice in it's new home, gonna be sweet.  :thumbs:

Matt

You know as much as me mate :lol:

foxymk1 said

your work is wicked mate  :thumbs:

Cheers Foxy, learning all the time mate :thumbs:

Back to the top
Getting there now man! 

Back to the top
Just to update this thread, the paint shop I'm using is having some management changes which means my car will not be going in as planned and is delayed until middle of Jan :P  :P

They say that the panel beater/fabricator will be working for himself now which is starting to give me doubts whether to use them at all, it's so frustrating as the car is just about ready for them. I know it's only a few more weeks to wait but it's really going to be eating in to my build up time :P  :P

Back to the top
Bu&&er. Keep sane man it's only a few weeks as you say. Go and have a beer. All will be well mate. Just keep an eye on them :) (They might be mackems)

Back to the top
That's pants! Such a big commitment trusting a body shop to get messed around. I would swap myself, I'm lucky in the fact a close mate is painting mine for me. 

Back to the top

smudger said

Bu&&er. Keep sane man it's only a few weeks as you say. Go and have a beer. All will be well mate. Just keep an eye on them :) (They might be mackems)

They are certainly behaving like Mackems lol :lol:

Brad. said

That's pants! Such a big commitment trusting a body shop to get messed around. I would swap myself, I'm lucky in the fact a close mate is painting mine for me. 

Yeah I'm thinking of changing now, it's a shame though as they do absolutely amazing work, I've seen some of the cars they've done before and nothing compares. I'm just worried that I'm now dealing with two people, which means two bills O_o

Back to the top
Exactly man! One of them is a middle man at that so will be a bill +greed. I know where I'd take it up your area, Durham, but he guy is quite expensive (amazing work!!!)

Back to the top
Waiting for paint sucks!! :P

Think it's best to get one person to do everything, otherwise if something goes wrong, god forbid, they'll just end up blaming each other and get nowhere  :(

Do you have any other alternatives?

Back to the top

Brad. said

Exactly man! One of them is a middle man at that so will be a bill +greed. I know where I'd take it up your area, Durham, but he guy is quite expensive (amazing work!!!)

Don't mind if it's expensive mate, you get what you pay for. If you've got any details that would be good :thumbs: I'm only 5 miles from Durham!!

pazwaa said

Waiting for paint sucks!! :P

Think it's best to get one person to do everything, otherwise if something goes wrong, god forbid, they'll just end up blaming each other and get nowhere  :(

Do you have any other alternatives?

Agreed Matt, it sounds like there's some bitching going between them as it is, which is why there is management changes. I'm just reading between the lines at the minute but that's how it seems to me.

I've got a couple in mind mate yeah.

Back to the top
Jamie at unit sixteen would be my choice man. Show winning paint, reputation based and does anything to keep that rep. 

Back to the top
Bit of a ball ache changing but at the minute it sounds like best case you get her painted but pay extra because it's two different people, worst case is you end up ping ponging between the two and it takes forever.  :P bummer!!

Brads recommendation on the other hand seems rather good  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Lookin good mate.

Shame about the paint shop though. I too would be a reticent about using two different people.

Hope you get it sorted.

cheers

Ian ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
I feel your pain fella - my shell has been in for paint since January 2012!

It's now in primer at long last but nothing has happened for 2 months :P

Similar situation to you in that this guys work is amazing but really testing my patience now. The plan was to have the majority of the car built before my son was born and paint guy knew this. Jack was born on the 18th November so now my time messing around with cars is very limited.

Good luck with whatever you decide mate.

Mars red Tin top 83' gti in progress

Back to the top
Oh that sucks Andy but best to know now before they started on it. Hope you get it sorted soon mate ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Great build mate. 

Back to the top
Hi all, small update here. Got a couple of things sorted, firstly I managed to get the rear gearbox mount fitted. Had to cut the top hole off the bracket for it to fit properly.

The radius on the bracket is slightly different to my gearbox so had to dress it up a bit to get it to fit better..

It's only held on with 2 bolts but I'm thinking it's more than enough :)

Secondly I fitted the intercooler and radiator, Im going to have to make some different brackets to hold it in which I'll do when I get back to work on Monday.

Lastly I've fitted the Mk4 Gti gear/cable shifter.

Started off like this

Marked out

Cut out

My marking out wasn't the best lol but I'll sort that out later..

Welded all the way round to join the layers back up. I've seen people just fill the gaps with sealer but to me it's just half a job.

Big hole lol

Et Voila

I also made a clamp/bracket from what was left of the mk3 wiper mechanism to hold the shifter in place.

Here it is fitted and primered

And finally a shot from underneath

That's it for now peeps.

Regards,
Andy :cool:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.